"Retro" Gaming 1995-2001

Finius

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I finally got XP working on my desktop again today and I've been having a total giggle on Dungeon Keeper, Theme Hospital, Final Fantasy 7 and Sim City 2000 and it occurred to me that actually, these games are now old.

They used be just out of date, but now they're old.

It makes me sad. I asked a few friends with younger brothers and sisters to ask if they'd even heard of any of my classic games (I collect big box games) and none of them had. None. This shocks and appalls me. And also makes me feel like I need a zimmer frame.

I used to love Bullfrog games; they were about fun, truly about fun, they weren't always easy; there wasn't a difficulty setting, you just got on with it and had to apply thought to progress, but now a lot of games that are popular are simply "run here, shoot terrorist, pick up X, run back" and don't apply much brainpower (things like Portal excluded); I think it's a shame that in my mind, gaming has devolved :/

PLEASE AFUK restore my faith! Someone out there must know and love these games!

TL:DR - Discuss classic games and how awesome they were.

• Supporters

Also for contribution; GENERATION ONE POKEMON.

Someone had to say it.

I used to have problems with Theme hospital too, it was one particular level which I just sucked at. Maybe it was one of those games where secretly it had a million levels, but to save development time, they made one impossible :P

• Supporters

Theme Park World! I found it yesterday when I was clearing out the loft :)

Also found original Collin McRae Rally, Lego Racers, C&C Red Alert, and Need for Speed 3 :L

• Supporters

I need to get back into Theme Park, I never liked it as a kid, but as I got older it was so awesome. Rollercoaster tycoon is ace too :D

I still love Red Alert, but I mostly play number 2; mostly against the AI (advanced AI mod).

Has anyone ever completed either Dungeon Keeper or Theme Hospital?

• AF-UK Founding Member

I've heard of people completing Theme Hospital but I think it is lies :P

Glad you agree on Rollercoaster tycoon. We all know we only really played that to drop visitors in the water though :lol:

god there is a long list here for me.

PC:

-Theme hospital

-Theme Park World

- Rollercoaster Tycoon

- Red Alert

- Red Alert 2

- The sims!

- Medal of Honour

and this one I hate but love at the same time! - World of Warcraft! OH YES PEOPLE! WOW!!!!!

Sometimes I feel the need to dust off my PS2 and play on a few old PS1 games I still love.

Still enjoy playing on 007:James Bond racing and the Italian Job game.

Is it just me, or are PS1 games (especially driving games) damn near impossible to play? I still can't finish the 007 car chase game!

• Supporters

I always found them pretty easy to play; just use the walls of the racetrack for steering and you're set :P

But no, physics weren't exactly a strong point of driving games on the PS1 xD

I find its more the enemy than the physics - regardless of whether you're driving the DB5 or a jeep, the enemy is alsways faster, stronger and better than you.

But yeah, in the Italian Job I found I usually just pointed the mini in the vague direction of the end point, floor it and just let the walls guide me there...

Hehe, here i go...

Firstly i would like to point out im 12 so this may be a shock to you :P

I used to collect consoles and games so heres some lists:-

*inhales deeply*

- Sega Mega drive

- Nintendo 64

- Gamecube

- 2 PS1's (yes TWO)

- Philips 2600 (the seconds games console ever made :D)

- Gameboy pocket

- Gameboy pocket

ALOT more but i can't think of em atm... thats aside from my modern games machines

- PS3

- Xbox

- Xbox 360

- PS2

- Wii

- PSP

- Nintendo DS

etc etc etc...

Although i wasnt really old enough when the came out these are games i remember/play now

- Sonic adventures

- Resident evil (the whoooole series)

- Tomb raider (the whooole series once again)

- Space invaders

- Call of duty (original :D before they got s**t)

- Pickaxe Pete

and a bunch more, i think (although i sold around a 100) i had around 300-400 games (yeah... sad huh? :P)

I felt 3 again whilst writing this (well atleast for the sonic part :D)

I still play alot of retro games... there great

Mitchell

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.