Both eyes open while aiming?

Liam Porter
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Do you aim with both eyes open? or do you just use one eye? or does it depend on what sight?

I keep both eyes open for scopes and sights..

Not sure how, but I snipe with both eyes open, means I can look at my target and see my surroundings clearer..

Just wondering what everyone else on here does?

When using sighting attachments like a Red dot or HOLO sight I use both eyes as its the best way but one snipping using a telescopic scope I use one eye as it helps you focus on the shot.

• Supporters

Lol, I get opening both eyes from biology - using a microscope with one eye and drawing what I see with the other.

Depends - most iron sights are almost impossible to aim down with both eyes open (especially those found on an M16). Red dots both eyes open no question. With scopes, I'll generally use both eyes, but for the longer range shots I prefer to shut my eye about a second before I fire, as I find it gives better results.

• Supporters

I don't usually use the sights on my M4, I put my gun to my shoulder (higher than to aim down the sights) and then basically aim down the side of the gun instead. I hit target using that method just as often, it's just faster for me to bring my weapon to this position.

I don't usually use the sights on my M4, I put my gun to my shoulder (higher than to aim down the sights) and then basically aim down the side of the gun instead. I hit target using that method just as often, it's just faster for me to bring my weapon to this position.

tut tut Liam you should be using the sights on the M4/M16 they have really nice iron sights I love em to bits, and I know what you mean about the speed sometimes its best to kind of semi fire from the hip.

When I started, on those occasions when I had time to take aim, I'd close one eye and look down the sights with the other. Recently I've started keeping both eyes open, because of the advantages cited above.

In my case, I think the monocular method was a hold over from computer games. The monoscopic GUIs I was used to had never represented binocular aiming techniques, so I was unaware of them. In fact I think it would be an interesting stylistic element to replicate that view on screen.

Sounds to me like you're just shooting and adjusting by following the bb's... sounds more like paintballing than airsoft :(.

I think aiming with only one eye open gives better precision, but you lose depth perception and it feels less natural (therefore is slower), so both eyes open is desirable for shorter range shooting. Obviously at longer ranges you haven't got much depth perception anyway, and the precision is more important than the speed...

• Supporters

Nah, not adjusting by following the BBs, I can hit where I want without using the sights on first shot most of the time, obviously not at long ranges, but then I use the sight.

Archived