L96? anything else?

green12102
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

OK, so I am saving up quite alot of money for a new airsoft gun, I'm not old enough to get my own RIF (i did my homework!) so I want to get something relatively inexpensive, below £200, i thought about an m4 of some sort but, well, thats just so cliché.

I saw a very good looking sniper rifle, the L96, Almost everyone should know it because practically everyone has it.

I have read through the forums and seen that a sniper is not a very good option as a starting gun as it takes ALOT of devotion, as I am just going to be playing with friends so this may not seem like a very good idea but I want to snipe at skirmishes some time in the future and practice this early on would be brilliant.

From what I have seen, the £180 for sniper with scope and bi-pod is vaery good.

I realize I have gone off in a ramble and have likely missed out alot of what I wanted to say exept, through experience can anyone tell me if i should get on or something else, bearing in mind what i have said

OK, so I am saving up quite alot of money for a new airsoft gun, I'm not old enough to get my own RIF (i did my homework!) so I want to get something relatively inexpensive, below £200, i thought about an m4 of some sort but, well, thats just so cliché.

I saw a very good looking sniper rifle, the L96, Almost everyone should know it because practically everyone has it.

I have read through the forums and seen that a sniper is not a very good option as a starting gun as it takes ALOT of devotion, as I am just going to be playing with friends so this may not seem like a very good idea but I want to snipe at skirmishes some time in the future and practice this early on would be brilliant.

From what I have seen, the £180 for sniper with scope and bi-pod is vaery good.

I realize I have gone off in a ramble and have likely missed out alot of what I wanted to say exept, through experience can anyone tell me if i should get on or something else, bearing in mind what i have said

Hey mate i was in your shoes about 2 months ago only difference was I could get a RIF. No this whole paragraph is going ot be from my personal experiences and opinions you can take it whichever way you like Anyway enough of that business. I was looking at the Warrior L96 sniper rifle or an M4 carbine I spent about two weeks researching much like yourself and after much deliberation I decided to stick with the L96 sniper. To this day (4 game days later) I am still very happy with my choice and have spent time upgrading mine. Sniping is very fun if you have the sniper "state" of mind, this would include being stealthy, patient and in some cases very agile. But the one thing I will say about sniping is that when you make the "shot" and you score the kill its almost always far more satisfying than just using a full auto machine gun. If you like the idea of being a sniper and picking people off one by one and making wide flanks with tactical decisions then go with it mate you won't regret it.

The last game day I played at Combat south woodland sold the whole snipping mantra for me it was raining and there was a low level of fog the noise of guns were ruffled by rain and other wildlife and there was nothing more awesome than sending in a small 4 man cell behind the enemy with me snipping and giving covering support it was literally one of the most amazing moments of my life. Anywqays onto the sniper its self if your looking at the gun I think your looking at I would suggest getting it from combat south as they upgrade the spring in there gun to 400FPS (site limit) on the warrior L96 and this will save you a lot of time and effort. mind you the £180 pacakges from action hobby is great as long as your willing to make some enhancements to it.

Well wall of text over let me know if you need anything explained in more detail I will be more than happy to help.

Again, someone with some experience with starting out as a sniper here.

I wouldn't recommend it. If you get bored with sniping, you don't have anything to fall back on, plus sniping is arguably one of the most expensive and time consuming paths in airsoft. Honestly, not to regurgitate every other post that advises about sniping when you start off, but it's not worth buying one straight away. I'd also recommend a VSR over the Warrior L96 anyday.

You can pick up a second hand TM VSR with maybe a few upgrades for the same price as a Warrior.

The thing about the warrior, is that if you polish a turd, it's always going to be a turd... And that's exactly how the Warrior feels in comparison to the VSR.

Note, I'm not saying the VSR is the least toy like but I am saying the Warrior is at the bottom of the pile.

If you're going to snipe, don't use a scope until you get to know the ranges you're shooting at. Scopes complicate things, and it's harder to judge distance through one if you're not used to it. (Only having one eye open being the reason for this)

I'm going to be honest, you're never going to be an uber l33t sniper with a Warrior L96, so there isn't much point in going with the scope and ghillie, it just doesn't work because you don't have the range or experience and leaves you with a bitter taste in your mouth.

Now how I would advise a new person to approach the sniping aspect of airsoft, is either buy an AEG and use that for a year OR, buy a VSR and get a head start with an excellent rifle platform. If you're specifically after an L96, go Maruzen. They're arguably the best spring L96 around. However, what I'd say is start at 330FPS.

Also another point about the ghillie, is you're going to have a bright green rifle anyway, so is there much point in going the whole 9 yards with the scope and ghillie? Not much that I can see....

Another thing, if you're not old enough to get a RIF, you're not old enough to buy an airsoft gun.

Also, last point.

You're just going to be playing with friends? I seriously hope you don't mean you're going to be playing with your mates in a public park...

• Supporters

Seriously, get an m4 make a DMR (Marksman rifle) and you get the best of both worlds.

Sniping is really ill advised for beginners, so is stick with am aeg, for more info, see my beginners guide

Thanks everyone, I will probably get an AEG, but this does not mean I'm going to give up on the whole sniping idea ;)

My parents would get the gun and supervise the game and these would be in each of our gardens, we wouldn't dream of airsofting in public!

• Supporters

Just thought I'd point out- if you aren't old enough to buy an RIF, you aren't old enough to buy anything

Archived