Necroposting

two_zero

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

At first they were like...

use-the-search-button-1.jpg(edit 26jan2016: some pic about using search function)

...but then they were like

necropost.jpg

I never really understood this to be honest. So you post a new thread and people be like UTFS!!1!1oneone, so next time you utfs instead and the same people go GTFO NECRO!!1!2!1eleven... WHAT UP CHILL DOWN MATE, I dont really see how either is sinful. Well, you might not want a hundred threads on the same issue. But so called "necroposting", why is it a crime, seriously?

Since it's a forum, you are posting to everyone, not just to OP. So when you add something relevant to a thread, even if OP is pushing up daisies now, it might still help someone else who used the search or you might just have a very simular, but not the exact same problem and dont want to start a new thread. If the thread really is that bad, I'm sure it will get of first page and into the gravejard of page 538 soon enough even after being given life again. Thou, you'll make the process slower by shouting "NECROPOSTAH!!"...

Well, that's just what I think and why. I wont hate you for disagreeing.

Having all that said, I havn't been flamed on this forum, just came to think about it since I just did post in a thread from 2010 to clarify something I wondered about. Oh and I didn't use search before I created this thread either :rolleyes:

Use search, and necropost.

Keep all the information to a certain subject in one place.

If the mods dont like necro posting, then they make sure they merge old existing topics, with the new ones, so all the information is kept in the same place.

• AF-UK Founding Member

Necroposting only bothers me in the sales topics.

Lack of searching is annoying though. Often something is phrased slightly differently but people won't try to adjust their search term. We've had people not even needing to perform a search because there is an identical topic listed a few down from the top. That's the worst.

• Supporters
Necroposting only bothers me in the sales topics.

Lack of searching is annoying though. Often something is phrased slightly differently but people won't try to adjust their search term. We've had people not even needing to perform a search because there is an identical topic listed a few down from the top. That's the worst.

I agree with Dev on this, people posting stupid questions without searching.

But the thing that angers me most is people posting in sales threads from last year to see if it is still for sale

Meh to be honest I've come close to necroposting on quite a few occasions - the time stamp isn't the most obvious, and when you're new to the forums you just don't really notice it... I don't know what software the forum's running etc., but if possible auto - closing classifieds threads with no posts for a month might be a good idea.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Head Moderator

Necro posting, just to give @ImTriggerHappy somthing to do on a Saturday morning :)

• Head Moderator

^^ I tried squinting but still cannot see what it says, maybe if I use some binary code it will say " very droll!".

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Head Moderator

But how long does it have to be in order to get classed as necroposting. I think of some being more like resuscitation or awakening from a coma.

But how long does it have to be in order to get classed as necroposting. I think of some being more like resuscitation or awakening from a coma.

When a new thread on the same subject would be more appropriate, or the posters are not likely to read it. I think it's fine to bump an old thread even if both of these are false however, if there is no productive use in having two threads.

• Moderators

indeed, or 3 months....but not the next day if no decent reply.... :rolleyes:

• Head Moderator

Necro posting, just to give @ImTriggerHappy somthing to do on a Saturday morning :)

That's the spirit!! B)

( btw, you're posting in a thread from 2011 :P )

That was the point, I could just not resist the temptation :)

That's the spirit!! B)

( btw, you're posting in a thread from 2011 :P )

That's the joke <_<

• 1 month later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.