What do you do to keep fit?

Finius
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Well during the basketball season I was playing nine hours a week plus two cycle rides. Now I do athletics and some basketball and rock climbing. In the winter I play rugby aswell as basketball and in the summer, well, kayaking and swimming in the river aswell as more basketball :)

If i were you just find an activity you like and do it a lot!

Warming up is only really necessary for short sprints,

I wouldn't agree, last athletic season I barely stretched and pulled five muscles and sprained my hip :)

if you don't stretch you might not feel it right away but you will the next day!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • AF-UK Founding Member

I didn't run the past few days because I've done my foot in. Still isn't great now, but was much cooler today, almost glad it happened in a way to avoid that weather :lol:

I'm doing a mile in 5 minutes 40 secs over 2.6 miles at the moment. Still pretty sluggish I think so got to keep going!

Yeah the weather isn't great for running atm - I tried going for a run last night, and had to stop after 10km... just absolutely wipes you out.

5 40 per mile is actually pretty good over that sort of distance. Trick is being able to maintain it when you're carrying a rifle and gear :D.

I hear that... just out of interest, does being constantly hot make you lose weight? Just thinking as I was in Germany a while back, and from what people ate the whole country deserves to be obese...

just got back from a 2hr basketball sesh!

damn washing line, marksman you should put your feet up!

and the pegs you need your grip strength!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

I have a hour workout using various weights which includes all the usual upper body muscle building stuffs and I've also downloaded an app for my iPhone called 'Couch to 10k' and do both of those around 3 times a week. The app's really great.

My only barrier is not always having time and sometimes I haven't eaten enough throughout the day to actually fuel myself to do everything.

But once it's all done in one day, apart from being knackered, it feels good. Like I've really achieved something.

Obviously I also go airsofting, and with my 5kg M16 and equally heavy set of magazines, gas, ammo and pistol, I probably get a lot more excersise than most other people there, because it feels like I'm giving a child a piggy back all day lol.

TBH i've never been a fan of weight lifting, i find it looks good but not a effective. Lots of my friends have more destinguished bi-ceps but i am a lot stronger!

• Supporters

So guys,

Been a wee while since I actually contributed here.

I've been following a course of running first thing in a morning, followed by now cycling to and from work (1 mile run, 18 miles cycling overall), as my daily cardio.

I'm about to start making proper use of the RMR get-fit-apply guide and the suggested circuit in there. (For anyone who's read the angry thread, this guide is what made me hulk out at my printer).

oh marksman you and your exercise.

i was filming presentations today, i had to occationally move a tripod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • AF-UK Founding Member

How's the running going Finius? I've been improving slowly and got some proper running shoes today, much more bounce so hope to cut the time down a bit :)

Archived