Airsoft shop opportunity

Simonb
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I think something alot of people are over looking is how much all the costs could potentialy end up being to get this started and how much of a long winded process it is to get any form of shop UKARA aproved and the standards they have that you are required to meet. You also need conideration of how large each unit is. I spotted a post mentioning boots. I can see your point there essential but foot wear is quite a personal thing so would it be wise to sell boots? They take up space and good boots will last years. You also need to have them in many sizes colours ect. Is it space well used?

Stock storidge is key to something like this. Think about just how secure the storidge of the stock has to be. The last thing any of us would want is for someone to break in steal a small truck loads worth of RIF's thats not going to look good in the press is it now.

You also have to then look a the tac gear side of things. Unless your selling only tac gear is it actualy sensible to stock every peice under the sun or simply have in a few of the more poular molle system with pouches in diffrent colours? An on site tech would cost quite abit to have in full time and if there not repairing/up/down grading the hole time is that realy money well spent if said tech isnt trained to do other work with in the shop.

Having a 12 year old in store is not a bright idea. People looking to spank £350 in one go on a new load out ect realy wont value that inderviduals oppinion given most sites you have to be 16+ to shoot at so you dont even have shooting experiance behind you. On top of the fact that legaly you wont be able to work.

And finaly, you have to remember that airsoft is a neich market and altough there is no direct compition within the local area youdohave to compete with well established online shops such as zeroone, land warrior ect.

Just my tyhoughts.

Artist

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this, but it will;

1. Give me something to do

2. Could maybe lighten the atmosphere of a 'Gun shop' as some would see it

3. As long as I am not being paid, I can help out (i think)

Like I said before Alex Gale does it, and if anything it gives him something to do and can maybe help a little

EDIT: it does seem like I am trying to force it a little, whoever takes the shop (if it does get taken) it's up to you :)

You are looking at it as a gun shop tho and instantly paints a dark eary atmoshpear, its more than posible to keep the shop feeling laid back even with guns on the walls. music played in store. The way it is all lit and general presentation. If you were helping out you would have to be covered by insurance and given that in a retail shop you need to be 16 to work as you will have your National Issurance number if anything were to happen to you, you would be covered as would the shop. Under 16 if something happened you would both be up a creak with out a paddle.

You have to consider the OP wants to run a sucessful shop and risks like having someone not covered by insurance helping out in there will not aid his cause

I would be willing to help out as well, when I'm not in school.

Although I am new to airsoft I have been a cadet for three years now so I could lend some assisstance.

I am only 15 though but 16 in december

it could be "work experience" :D

lol, I will probably pop into the shop once a week or whatever to see if there is any bargains anyways :P just thought I may be able to help...

Hope he replies soon Sheriff, gotta be a little frustrating :P

what was said about costs, i fully understand same with the the licensing.

in layman's terms, i may not have experience working in a shop, but i do have experience in business start up. working out the costs. the way i am when it comes to money you'd think i was Jewish.

But in all honesty, i wouldn't of said im interested unless i took in to account all the variables that are involved with something like this.

and if people say a big guy like me, with my shaven head and long platted bead..........and then saw a 12 year old they will only assume one of two things

"awww thats nice that guy takes his kid with him to work"..........or they will think "quick phone the police there is a pedophile in the army shop"

And the think that makes me think of the second idea is that...BatHat's mum's Ex-boyfriend keeps poking Bathat on FB..... :unsure:

roflmao! just thought I would ask, tell me if you do start this shop though, i will be one of your first customers that isnt a kid my age that says "oh cool, Mum, lemme have a look at the guns!!!!" then walks in and says "are these real? there so awesome!!!"

Unfortunately you might find people also not that keen to take advice from a 12 year old.

You'd be suprised. I'm in my local shop every saturday helping out and I talk to people of all different ages and give advice and people are more than happy to listen. As long as what your saying is reliable people usually don't seem to care about your age. I also help packing up the guns and setting up the display ect...

I hate the whole just because you're young you're ingnorant. I'm only 15 but I would say I would be better then some adults

Da Sherrif I wasnt aiming my long rant at you. Having read through the posts it seems that alot of people have very little idea as to how much time money and risk are involved with things like this and that sometimes the things that would be cool to be able to do often have limitations within the business that do not warrent them hence why other places have not done that as of yet.

i know it wasnt aimed at me, it was more me wanting to make ti clear for every one. i mean even if i dont hear back from simbob i might try and find a shop in the area for myself to set up. comming from a creative media background this will be a pleasant shock for me. but at the same time id save a sh*t ton on things like website's posters, CAD drawings and promotion work.

on the plus side this forum has provided alot of ideas as to what people would like from their shop, which when starting up is a nice thing to have, gives you an outside point of view instead of just your own

sadly the o/p hasnt responded to requests of info to those who was interested,and also sadly,it seems my prev post was prob right..

"i have several units of different sizes and rents" the o/p put.

here,imho, is what i have seen a lot of recently on forums. someone with retail units that are not getting filled,joins a forum,suggets "hey,this is a good idea", and sets the worm....

i personally dont think this is the right way to approach renters,and mis-use a forum for blatantly advertising..

yes ,i own my own tattoo studio,but do i come on here adv my wares?? no.

opening an airsoft shop ,will need planning,market research,order bases,etc etc.. if you want to go ahead,anyone and do this, please do, but shop about for prices of leases,and rents,and look for loopholes and catches. there will be many. then there is tax and vat to think about.

you WILL NEED a solicitor and accountant involved, and various documents drawn up,of which run into thousands,before you even start.

you WILL NEED various licences,and insurances too.

theres a reason why most towns have a flux of empty shops at the mo.

well the thing is. that reason for shops closing down, also works in favour for people wanting to open a shop. plus its a shopping centre, rent and costs would be too high to stay there being a prime location and all.

as i said with a previous post im looking about for other sites, found a few in reading which will prove worthy of setting up.

handy thing also is that alot of shops ive looked at come witn not only a1, but also a3(a1=general retail, a3 = food retail)

but with current market it might prove better to purchasse instead of rent.

any way, im going to look into this who idea further now and if i do manage to make it work then you guys on here will obviously be the first ones to find out

sounds like youre trying to tout for clients....

i presume youre interested in opening and running an airsoft shop,not just on here to rent out one of your units,

sorry for bieng sceptical, but ive seen this before.....

hope im wrong and youre gonna run and stock the shop.

Yes I am looking to rent units but I am also a skirmisher and think this may work. I just need someone who is capable to set it up and run it. I can provide the space but cannot run the shop.

Not sure there is anything wring with that!

Archived