RIF or IF

Marc36uk
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

RIF or IF  

9 members have voted

1. 1. RIF or IF

• RIF
    • IF

Hi all

I'm going to ask this question on this site as of all the sites I frequent the users here are less rabid and seem more open to debate.

So, After many years of not playing airsoft I find myself returning and teh rules have changed on me.

In my eagerness to pick up some equipment I have bought myself some two tones with the intent of getting my defence and rebuilding them to my spec. Whilst I'm happy with my M$ my glock is less exiting in its current bright green parts. So I would like to repray it but keep within the rules. The VCA states the colour has to be bright. So in keeping with that statement I'm considering do this.....

glock.jpg

My glock actually looks like this just not the colours yet.

So the question is, Is this now a RIF or IF. The colour I want to use is Candy apple red. Google it and see how nice and bright it is.

If the majority here vote RIF I will seriously reconsider.

Thanks

• Supporters

It's not quite that simple for this case, If the compensator is removed, it would be an IF (and legal for you) with the compensator on I would call it a RIF.

I have not voted either way as a result of this.

If you did the whole lower frame and left the slide black, that would be fine.

• Supporters

sounds like you quit airsoft and kept your weapons? if so no need to 2 tone as weapons purchased before the act came in are not affected!

If not then no point you will have your license soon enough so waste of paint :P

Sadly the weapons I used to have have all died. I'm coming back into this effectivly new. However I'm having some major surgery which will keep me from getting my defense for at least 6 months while I recover. Really I should have waited but I was too eager to get my hands on a new rifle and side arm and went the two tone route. At the moment I'm taking advantage of having a large enclosed garden and some homemade targets just to get me through recovery and the intense bordom of being off my feet.

The compensator is locked in place with 4 allen screws, so quick and easy.

Well the spray paint arrived today and as there has been no major objections I'm going to go ahead with this. I do have a top rail attachment that I will also spray up to increase the percentage that is red. I'm also going to add a red magwell.

However I'm having some major surgery which will keep me from getting my defense for at least 6 months while I recover.

Hey, crazy idea, actually might even but a stupid idea, anyway.. get a bipod and play halfdays as a support gunner?

• Supporters

This has kind of passed now, but strictly speaking, that would be a RIF if a police officer found you possessing it with with compensator attached, an IF if the contrary was true.

The fact that the compensator is easy to remove is pretty much irrelevant. It could not be clearly recognised as an accessory and any regular person of reasonable mind on the street would not recognise it as anything other than a permanent part of a gun, and that's how our courts tend to work.

With the compensator removed, and just a red slide, it may still be classed as an RIF; usually the stippling on the grip is two toned in order to guarantee IF status.

Remember however. UKARA is only for retailers. If you can prove somehow your skirmish status to the level that would convince beyond reasonable doubt to any reasonable person that you were a skirmisher, you are entitled to the defense and can legally purchase etc an RIF. The onus of proof is on yourself however (UKARA is the easiest way, but not the be-all-and-end-all)

• Supporters

I would say not, because a silencer and laser are easily identifiable as accessories.

Thinking about it logically, let's say you have a pistol with that compensator, a silencer and a laser. If I had no knowledge of airsoft or guns greather than maybe a thirty minute presentation by a superior officer and what I'd seen in movies and on TV and in video games. I'd still know to remove the silencer and laser, but the compensator looks more permanent.

A lot of it is conditional and depends entirely on circumstances and the officer you find. For example, you could have a gun that was 80% red, if you were waving it around in a train station, you'd still get shot at by police. They're don't stop to think "hmm, it might be a toy" - they see a gun, and it's a gun, full stop, but in the privacy of your own home, you would probably have time to explain that the compensator could be removed etc, similarly if they asked to check your bags. The courts especially must always remember the intentions of parliament, the VCRA particularly is designed to deal with violent crime, so it stands to reason you'd be given more creedance to explain the compensator away in a non-emergency situation.

Overall, it's all very confusing, very vague and any number of the possible answers could be right, the best bet is to lean on the side of caution; a firearms offense can get you shot, or put in prison for five years.

In all likelihood, you won't get caught or asked to check up on it. But it doesn't hurt to be well informed and aware of risks/precautions

Well I decided to follow your advice and not use the compensator. However disaster has struck! Everything seemed to be going fine, slide and magwell looked really good but even after leaving it for 3 hours the metallic paint comes off to the touch Taking the two tone spray job with it. I guess the paint Tactical airsoft shop uses is not a good primer. Will have to strip it back to black and start again :(

Well its finished

Hopefully it meets the requirements for two tone. I'm going to get a clear lacquer to give it a bit more pop but not too bad. Unique looking would be a good way to describe it :)

IMAG0075.jpg

Archived