Well MB01 L96 Upgrade Advice Please

Liam Porter
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I have the Well MB01 L96, hoping to upgrade the barrel to a tight bore, get the PDI hop-up, and a silencer & adapter to hide the extra barrel. Should end up looking nice..

I was going to buy all at once, but the chances of them all being in stock all at once isn't too high, and it would be a good £150 to spend all at once..

So, I'm going to buy each part as it comes in stock, spreading the costs out a bit more.

Going to get all from Fire-Support as my skirmish site is Free Fire Zone woodland and I won't have to pay delivery :D

My list is currently this;

PDI Type96 hop-up unit (£59) http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/pdi-...-maruzen-type96

MadBull 6.03, 650mm TBB (£36) http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/madb...re-barrel-650mm

King Arms LW Silencer (£29) http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/king...ilencer245x40mm

LayLax Thread Adapter (£19) http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/layl...tting-for-aps96

PDI Barrel Spacers (£13~) http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/pdi-...-barrel-type-96

And finally, a few questions..

- What hop-bucking (from Fire-Support) would be best suited?

The gun's firing at 480 with .20s and I'll be using .40s. I was thinking Prometheus, but I read the Hard one has feeding issues?

- What BBs are best to get (Blaster Devil .40s, Guarder .40s or Madbull .40s) with these upgrades?

Thinking MadBull, considering it's a MadBull barrel?

- Will the LayLax Adapter fit the Well version? And will it fit this silencer I've picked?

I think it will, as they have the same adapter on Land Warrior Airsoft, and it says it will fit.

- Any suggestions for changing which parts I get to save a bit of money/more compatibility?

Thanks for help.

Madbull's are good, though some people and myself included prefer Biovals.

Depends on what you can get really.

I'd look at other internal upgrades, like steel sears and possibly a better cylinder before going down the suppressor route. But that's just me.

I'd rather have a rifle that shoots like the dogs b...b's than a rifle that looks it. That's me though :P

• 9 months later...
I have the Well MB01 L96, hoping to upgrade the barrel to a tight bore, get the PDI hop-up, and a silencer & adapter to hide the extra barrel. Should end up looking nice..

I was going to buy all at once, but the chances of them all being in stock all at once isn't too high, and it would be a good £150 to spend all at once..

So, I'm going to buy each part as it comes in stock, spreading the costs out a bit more.

Going to get all from Fire-Support as my skirmish site is Free Fire Zone woodland and I won't have to pay delivery :D

My list is currently this;

PDI Type96 hop-up unit (£59) http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/pdi-...-maruzen-type96

MadBull 6.03, 650mm TBB (£36) http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/madb...re-barrel-650mm

King Arms LW Silencer (£29) http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/king...ilencer245x40mm

LayLax Thread Adapter (£19) http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/layl...tting-for-aps96

PDI Barrel Spacers (£13~) http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/pdi-...-barrel-type-96

And finally, a few questions..

- What hop-bucking (from Fire-Support) would be best suited?

The gun's firing at 480 with .20s and I'll be using .40s. I was thinking Prometheus, but I read the Hard one has feeding issues?

- What BBs are best to get (Blaster Devil .40s, Guarder .40s or Madbull .40s) with these upgrades?

Thinking MadBull, considering it's a MadBull barrel?

- Will the LayLax Adapter fit the Well version? And will it fit this silencer I've picked?

I think it will, as they have the same adapter on Land Warrior Airsoft, and it says it will fit.

- Any suggestions for changing which parts I get to save a bit of money/more compatibility?

Thanks for help.

Any update on what you have bought , what works what doesn't???

Many thanks Liam

• Supporters

Decided against PDI etc. and got some cheaper upgrades.

You can find what I bought here: http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/?showtopic=6790

They all work very nicely, although the bolt isn't very smooth to pull back. Also, the trigger is hard to pull to shoot, meaning the rifle jerks very slightly just before you shoot, but as this is airsoft, it doesn't really make a difference.

I do plan on upgrading with Laylax/PDI over time, but concentrating on other guns at the moment, as I'm happy with my sniper set up.

I have this gun, and have recently upgraded it. Put about £520 into it and it's just about done.

Mine was cr*p accuracy with the stock barrel, as it wasn't cut properly, but my mate's has good accuracy with the stock barrel.

If it's the version 3 (with velocity reducer), then you won't be needing power upgrades yet, but you'll probably need to strengthen the trigger unit and sears. After just three games, mine had a crack down one side, and on both the screw holes, so I bought the metal one from Airsoft World (here), I haven't replaced the sears yet though, as they're hold out at 500 FPS.

For accuracy upgrades, I got the hop unit from ASPUK (here), which is more consistent and allows the use of AEG barrel. But it is not compatible with the stock cylinder and head. So, you would to get new ones, I got the ones from ASPUK (here and here), but you can't use the velocity reducer with these.

The hop rubber I got was the MadBull Red one, which I wouldn't recommend as it gave me far too much hop for .40s. So I'm going to get a standard Tokyo Marui one and nub, as the hop unit is designed for.

For the barrel, I got the MadBull 6.03x650mm from Action Hobbies (here), which is longer than is needed (the stock is 495mm). I used silencer and adapter to hide the extended barrel.

For power upgrades, I got the advanced upgrade set (spring, spring guide and piston) from ASPUK (here) which replaces the plastic parts with more durable metal ones, and can supposedly withstand 600 FPS.

Bear in mind, this is the cheap route for upgrading and cost me ~£500 (including gun).

The other route is PDI or LayLax upgrades, costing a lot more, but being more durable and consistent, but I'm happy with the cheaper route.

Make sure you check compatibility with the rifle and other upgrades before you buy though!

Hope I helped :).

• 6 months later...
  • Supporters
What bucking have you found works best?

I'll respond to your PM here so others can see too.

But here's what I've tried:

I've tried five different buckings, six different nubs, three different hop units, and two different styles of hop. Tried most combinations possible with all of these.

The buckings: the stock Well one, Madbull red, Madbull blue, stock G&P bucking, Prometheus hard bucking.

The nubs: stock Well one, Madbull x-shape nub (came with red rubber), standard Madbull one (came with blue rubber), stock G&P one, part of a pen ink tube, PDI nub.

Hop units: stock, ASPUK, PDI.

Styles of hop: standard and R-Hop.

The stock hop unit has the worst adjustment, could not get it set right no matter how hard I tried. The hop arm would eventually bend, essentially turning the hop down over time.

The ASPUK unit has solid adjustment, better air seals and more consistency. Easy to adjust using the same method (2.5mm Allen key) as above.

The PDI hop unit has the finest adjustment as it uses two hop arms, each adjusted separately, allowing for adjustment of side spin as well. Very tricking to do though as uses a very small Allen key (1.27mm or something I think), and the gun has to have the bolt either removed to locked back to adjust as the cylinder head gets in the way.

Here are the results with different combinations:

1: Stock hop unit, stock bucking, stock nub - couldn't lift above .30s, not consistent, poor range and accuracy.

2: ASPUK hop unit, Madbull red bucking, Madbull x-shape nub - over-hopped everything (up to .40s - didn't try .43s) even with hop completely off, consistent, appalling range (negative on some shots).

3: ASPUK hop unit, Madbull red bucking, stock nub - had trouble lifting anything above .30g, consistent and accurate though, good range and accuracy (although let down by ammo weight).

4: ASPUK hop unit, Madbull blue bucking, Madbull standard nub - same results as above.

5: ASPUK hop unit, Madbull red rubber, pen ink tube nub - could lift whatever (.20 - .40, higher if I had the ammo to test), good range and accuracy.

6: PDI hop unit, Madbull red rubber, PDI nub (longer, so allows usage of both hop arms) - extremely inconsistent, no idea why, some shots would go miles too high, others would act as if there's no hop at all.

7: PDI hop unit, Madbull blue rubber, PDI nub - more consistent shots, although not as good as combination 5.

8: PDI hop unit, Madbull blue rubber, pen ink tube nub - awful, the dual hop arms made the nub twist and could not get it to sit correctly.

9: PDI hop unit, Prometheus hard rubber, PDI nub - wouldn't shoot. Hop completely off, and the BBs would just jam. Put a 170sp spring (600 FPS) in it and still couldn't get the BBs to move.

Now onto the R-Hop.

The R-Hop uses a different style to the standard hop. Rather than having the hop rubber and a cylindrical nub, you have a rubber patch that fits over the opening in the barrel, then the hop rubber goes over this, and you use a square/flat nub to apply even pressure.

This provides more contact with the BB, providing a more stable and consistent flight. It's how people manage to get their guns to have 100m+ range accurately.

It's fiddly to do, and out of 3 patches I bought, 2 didn't fit the barrel dimensions. The 'lumpy bit' on the inside of the hop rubber needs to be removed for this to work, and the hardest rubber you can find is recommended as it will provide a better air seal.

Combinations and results:

10: PDI hop unit, Madbull blue rubber, PDI nub (testing cylindrical one), R-Hop patch - Excellent consistency (shots veered left as patch split when cutting to shape), very difficult to adjust (slightest adjustment would be the difference between far too much hop and almost no hop).

11: PDI hop unit, Madbull blue rubber, pen ink tube nub (flattened to give flat base), R-Hop patch - awful consistency, would not shoot properly no matter what I did.

12: Same as 10, but with ASPUK hop unit - same results, slightly less consistent.

13: PDI hop unit, G&P bucking, G&P nub (filed down to give flat base), R-Hop patch - Same as 10, but with slightly less consistency (in BB flight path and FPS - air seal problem with bucking).

That's the list of what I've tried in my sniper, the best I had was ASPUK hop unit, Madbull red rubber and the pen ink tube nub.

Current have the PDI hop unit, Madbull red rubber and PDI nub, simply cannot get it to shoot properly.

Plan on ordering some more R-Hop patches, experimenting with different nub materials (Nerf dart foam and part of an eraser have been suggested), and ordering a few different brand buckings.

I recommend what you do is buy a few buckings and maybe a couple nubs, and a few different brands and weights of BBs and test to see the best combination.

Different guns will perform differently with different ones, even if they're identical.

Archived