Retailers - bending the rules on 2 tone?

Airsofter123
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Is it just me, or are the VCRA rules on 2 toning not really being followed anymore? Was looking at the CYMA Glock 18C 2 toned on a well known action based hobbies retailer (man am I subtle), and I noticed it's a lot less 2 toned than the older versions.

Here's the old version, can't link to the new version but it's easy to find a pic.

img0074ch.jpg

Looking at similar pistols, the trend seems to continue, and it's debatable whether these new models are 50% puke coloured...

Anyway, what I'm really getting at is, is there any danger that some pressure group will pick up on this, and could this bending of the rules result in even stricter airsoft laws in the future?

• AF-UK Founding Member

My guess is that they will have been in contact with the authorities to find out what they can get away with perhaps. But no, it definitely doesn't look like over 50% of the gun is of a bright colour.

Nothing on the UKARA website about this but you could always drop them an email (they reply quickly generally) to see if they know anything about it.

Well technically they're all bending the laws by offering a two tone service in the first place, because you're not allowed to manufacture RIF's even with a UKARA number...

So if they were going by the law, word for word then they'd only be able to sell guns that were factory two toned.

But they're not, so you get more choice when buying two tone monstrosities. Aren't they nice? :P

• Supporters
because you're not allowed to manufacture RIF's even with a UKARA number...

you are,

for example you had a 2 tone then acquired UKARA, you would be allowed to spray that 2 tone into its original colours.

Fairly sure it's in the VCRA, saying you can't manufacture a RIF.

Last time I checked, painting a gun makes it a RIF/IF and counts as manufacturing in the eyes of the law ;)

Depends what colour you paint it... if you paint it bright green or what not then it's an IF, which anyone can manufacture. If you paint it black it's a RIF, which you need a defence to manufacture. Point I'm getting at is that these are more black than green/ blue, so technically still a RIF?

As I wrote this I just thought of an interesting question... VCRA only specifies that it's illegal to manufacture a RIF, so would it be legal for an under 18 to buy all the parts, and then assemble, an IF. (I'm over 18 before you ask so not looking for loopholes, just curious :D )

Depends what colour you paint it... if you paint it bright green or what not then it's an IF, which anyone can manufacture. If you paint it black it's a RIF, which you need a defence to manufacture. Point I'm getting at is that these are more black than green/ blue, so technically still a RIF?

As I wrote this I just thought of an interesting question... VCRA only specifies that it's illegal to manufacture a RIF, so would it be legal for an under 18 to buy all the parts, and then assemble, an IF. (I'm over 18 before you ask so not looking for loopholes, just curious :D )

That's basically the same as buying a two tone, and yes very legal without a defence.

It doesn't actually say in the VCRA how much of a weapon has to be painted before it's qualified as an IF, so where are people getting 51% from?

Not saying you said 51%, but I've heard others go by it like it's the gospel truth, while I've yet to see it in official writing.

I Haz a question and i cant be bothered, nor do i see the point to make a new topic...

I have an AK-47, the receiver, pistol grip, stock, and handguard are all green plastic, with electrical tape i ONLY covered the Pistol grip and handguard, yet i do not believe i manufactured an RiF as the receiver and stock are still bright green, if you can help well thanks :)

I Haz a question and i cant be bothered, nor do i see the point to make a new topic...

I have an AK-47, the receiver, pistol grip, stock, and handguard are all green plastic, with electrical tape i ONLY covered the Pistol grip and handguard, yet i do not believe i manufactured an RiF as the receiver and stock are still bright green, if you can help well thanks :)

That was a statement.

OKAY THEN...Was i actually breaking the law with a partly (less than 51%) green gun?

• Supporters

The vcra states that the predominant colour must be tt, so 51%, unless you have three colours where it should be 34%, four colours 26% and so on.

It isn't illegal to make an RIF two tone either..... why would it be?!

as far as I know, it is illegal for an under 18 to buy the parts too, though there are a lot of grey areas and loop holes

It's illegal to buy enough parts to make a RIF, but not illegal to buy parts if you're under 18.

I may have goofed a little when I said it was illegal to paint a RIF, as I don't have any evidence to prove it but there was a whole huge thread on Zero In where people mentioned that, some of them being Lawyers so I think they know better than I do.

Where does it state in the VCRA that for a RIF to count as an IF it must be 51% brightly coloured, I don't see it.

Not having a go, but I'd like to see it for myself before I believe it as the gospel truth, no matter how widely accepted it may be

• Supporters

Fair enough. ill try and find it

Well technically they're all bending the laws by offering a two tone service in the first place, because you're not allowed to manufacture RIF's even with a UKARA number...

R u sure about this? Why would it be illegal to make a two tone?

R u sure about this? Why would it be illegal to make a two tone?

Fairly sure about it, it's altering the appearance of a RIF.

Pretty sure in the eyes of the law, it's illegal, but I can't back it up with any proof right now so it's only my opinion and not fact, yet ;)

• 4 months later...
  • Supporters

I'm going to have to interject here.

People get the 51% as it has to be the majority of the gun in TT (IE, more than half of it)

It has to be the same colour and in solid blocks (no MW2 style camo patterns)

Whilst the law states 51%, most retailers, players, people selling guns to non registered players will see it as 'made the effort to conceal the RIF-ness', with a pistol, painting just the slide makes sense, it is easily removed and easily coloured.

The frame is mostly concealed by a hand when in use, so there is little point in making it sticky and uncomfortable with paint which is going to rub off.

The defence from the VRCA or 'UKARA' allows players to manufacture both RIF's and IF's (black and two tone guns)

Those without a defence may only manufacture two tone guns (or IF's)

When on site, it is acceptable to cover the two tone parts with camo tape, net, and other easily removable things, before leaving the site you have to remove the covering.

As we are speaking about the law I want to ask something. My father swapped a two tone ASG AUG A3 for an M4 CQB SD RIF, should he two tone it, or as he didn't pay for it, can he own it in realistic colours with out UKARA? bearing in mind it was a swap

Thanks,

Albert

• Supporters

however, the illegal thing has already been done.

personally, I wouldn't bother at this point, very few people are going to question a RIF at a site and as a sensible airsofter, he won't be running around the streets with it.

Having said that, better safe than sorry would probably apply here.

however, the illegal thing has already been done.

personally, I wouldn't bother at this point, very few people are going to question a RIF at a site and as a sensible airsofter, he won't be running around the streets with it.

Having said that, better safe than sorry would probably apply here.

thanks, i am already sensible, I have a large container and have a padlock on it, only open it on filming and airsoft days

Archived