Anyone employed or know someone in counter-fraud?

Finius
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I'm studying a Forensic and Investigative Studies degree at present and I'm looking at what to do afterwards, I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about, or knows anyone else who might know something about breaking into fraud-counter-management etc etc.

At the moment, my end-of-studies attributes will probably look like this:

-1st Class Degree in Forensic and Investigative Studies, with a dissertation based around cyber-fraud

-Post Grad degree, MA in Fraud Management

-Several months work experience with one of the lead investigators from the investigation into the death of Princess Diana

-Some basic accounting qualifications

-Law to HND level

Problem is, I've emailed several target employers, who one day I'd like to be with, but they keep telling me to aim lower to begin with, problem is, I can't find anyone who appears to be lower enough.

I've got a good few years before finding employment will be a major issue, seeing as I'm only into second year of uni, but I already lost a year by switching from law and I'd like to get as much information as possible as early as possible.

Any advice, help etc etc muchly appreciated :D

• AF-UK Founding Member

Isn't there a government 'movement' for it? Pretty sure there is for cyber crime at least? (Although that is fighting a losing battle imo)

• Supporters

The government are crying out for anti-fraud and cybercrime experts...But they don't want graduates, you've got to have experience, qualifications, possibly superpowers BEFORE they even want to talk to you...

Well, you have prob heard it before but lecturers are always a good bet. Failing that, does the uni have a sort of student support thing? To help you after you leave.

At least you have a few years, im trying to get a job with any police force.. now. So i might as well go into cryo for a few years.

My understanding is that counter fraud works in quite an odd way. There are effectively two tiers - lower tier are those who trawl through paperwork, looking for discrepancies etc. Presumably not what you're looking for. Upper tier are the ones who actually design the systems to prevent fraud. These people tend to be recruited from other areas (most prominently the police, and, of course, fraudsters themselves. Basically you have to have had experience either beating the system, or catching those who beat the system.

EDIT : just read this through, thought I'd better stress that in no way to I recommend becoming a fraudster :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

That's for the info, that's given me something decent to start looking into...As for becoming a fraudster...Too late, you made the recommendation...

By the by...I happen to have come into a great deal of money, but unfortunately, I can't unlock this money, because it's in a frozen offshore bank account. If you send me £10000 so that I can unlock that bank account.... :D

Archived