battlefield 3

M_P

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Yeah I heard that about the flares, I've not personally noticed since I always use stealth, thermal optics and the guided missiles when I'm gunning, 'cos without thermals on hardcore it's impossible to see anyone on the ground lol.

AK goes live tomorrow for PC and Xbox Premium users... Too bad I'm working solidly for the next two weeks, it's going to be AAGGGGEEESS before I get a decent chance to play it D=

I need to play a little more of Armoured Kill to get a real feel for it, but here's a video about my first impressions if you're interested:

http://youtu.be/EJcOgoXQVaU

My opinions are my own. But I think I get the point across that Tank Superiority is lots of fun :)

Lots of tanks is pretty fun. Not a fan of the AC130 though... although there were only me and 2 other people on the server XD

AC130 in conquest is useless... Honestly its only good as a spawn point since it's made of tin cans. In Rush it is waaaay unfair but I always attack so I have fun :D

I think with 2 people on the server the AC130 will dominate a bit. Unless you are a good jet pilot. Therea s huge blind spot all the way around the thing which Jets attack from. Nothing you can do as a gunner

• Supporters

I think it's a proper joke that the attackers in Rush get the AC-130.

I always hated rush anyway, but spawning to get blown up in a matter of seconds by an airborn tank really just takes the cake. If the AC-130 were on the defender's team I think it would be quite balanced.

I think Tank Superiority is the only mode really worth it as a result of the size of the maps. On conquest there aren't enough vehicles for everyone and it takes so long to get anywhere on foot that it's just not worth moving. Especially since on console there's only 24 players per map. The only way to find people to kill is to wait until you see a base getting capped and then move there like lightening to take them out, otherwise people are too few and far between to spot them unless you're using thermal optics in a vehicle.

Sniping people from 800+m on Bandar Desert is spectacularly awesome though.

I think that the artillery pieces are useless on console as well, mainly because I'm convinced giving it an aiming cursor was the most poinless thing ever, because it simply doesn't work, the only way to know when your shots are landing is to look on the map. Then on top of that, not enough people are in the same place at the same time for you to need to use them and without being able to increase the size of the minimap, it's impossible to tell where your shots are landing without bringing up the start menu and obviously if you're in the menu you can't adjust your aim, or move, or get out, or do anything, until you come back out of it again and by that time your target will have moved to avoid your last volley of shots.

So in short, it's lame - with the exception of the tank only mode.

Indeed I dont know how this is played on console. I usually stick to 32 player servers but with this a 64 player server is so much more fun. Although with Rush... yeah it is stupid. But DICE have announced a patch to balance things up so hopefully that improves things :) I have borderlands 2 to play though which is out tomorrow :D (Or the day after)

I agree that AK could have been better. The whole gunship idea was maybe good on paper but needs tweaking a hell of a lot before it will actually work properly. At last some more maps where teamwork is extremely important and if you have a group of 3 in a tank going round together then it means big points and lots of kills! I'm yet to try the sniping on these maps, must be some 1500+ headshot bonuses around?

I hope they fixed the bug I had a couple of weeks back, where I was in a tank driving and I had a member of the opposing team as my gunner!

Still quite into Gunmaster at the moment, although its the most enraging it can also be the most rewarding. This was always going to be the most frustrating DLC for me as I prefer infantry at the moment for some reason. I think it has to do with the fact that when you get 10 of you on teamspeak that you can really dominate a map.

• Supporters

Imagine getting 10 of you, in tanks! That would be fucking epic shit right there.

As for sniping, have you seen the 20x scope? If you go on the loadout screen in Battlelog, select the L96 in the sniper kit section and scroll through the optics, one of them is a 20x scope.

But it doesn't show up on the unlock tree or anything... Might be one of those Dice only things, which sucks penis, 'cos I've been crying out for a decent scope since the game came out, even on Firestorm and Wake Island you could make use of a 20x zoom, let along these effing enormous maps!

• 5 weeks later...

I played a really good game of BF3 with my squad the other day. It's pretty funny because I get accused of wallhacks halfway through. It's livecom and about 40mins long so if you have time to chillout then go take a look:

Watch in 720p as anything lower is abit meh thanks to yt processing. I had to compress a lot due to the size of the file. My upload speed is only 54kbps after all! Enjoy :)

• Supporters

What do people make of the Aftermath trailer?

I think the new game mode sounds quite interesting, but there are no new weapons other than a crossbow, which for me just screams CoD at the highest of volumes...

Seems stupid that anyone would find a crossbow in a post-earthquake city ruin as well. Especially if no one had them previously.

The trailer looks good. Very well made. I dont know all the details of it yet though so we shall see what it holds. Hopefully there will be some new weapons but I am not sure what else they can add... More attachments? We shall see what they come up with I guess. Hopefully its more than just a few maps. I'm premium so I get the expansions anyways but I would hate to see people pay crap loads for just a few maps.

• 1 month later...
  • Supporters

So how many people have this on the Xbox?

I've been wondering how many people would actually like a proper Project Reality style server.

If I rented a server, I'd up the ticket count to the highest possible, so games lasted ages - Realistic.

I'd lower the starting health to about 30, making it half the standard hardcore health model.

Making it a two shot kill with all weapons from under 50m, apart from snipers, and slightly more shots from pistols and PDWs depending on the range.

My hope would be, that since it would be SO easy to die, even from falling, that people would have to think things through properly before taking any stupid risks.

Adding to this, I'd turn off the map, so the compass was the only thing people could use to point out where people are, meaning people would have to stay close together for the directions from team mates to properly work.

I'd also probably limit it to the B2K maps only, because I think they're the best for proper tactical gameplay, and I miss them, everyone seems to leave the fucking server whenever they come up. Why does everyone hate Strike at Karkand so much? I'd say it was the best map in the entire game by a country mile, but I've not played a proper conquest game on it for about 6 friggin' months.

Oh and of course, the game mode would be Conquest Assault.

But yeah, It'd be very much a case of sneaking around, flanking and properly using fire and manoeuvre tactics.

Ideally, I'd also like it if people were forced to use faction specific weapons. Or only the default weapons for each team, so M16 vs AK74 etc. Proper US vs Russia type stuff.

I think it'd be awesome. But I don't want to pay for it if it isn't going to work and people aren't going to like it, and I suspect it wouldn't catch on =[

Additionally, I'm not sure you can even edit the health model to that extent, I've never rented a server before, so I'm not sure how much there is you can actually change.

But what do you guys think? Would it be enjoyable playing on a highly realistic server? Or do you just prefer to keep it more like an arcade game?

knowing console players... everyone won't use tactics. Just camp with snipers set up for short range engagements.

• Supporters

Well the idea with asking around to see if people were interested, was that I could lock it so it was password only, and I could brief everyone that joined of the rules.

'Cos I imagine, if they wanted to play at all, they'd probably be happy to abide by instructions that promote realism.

If I found about 60 people that were up for it, I'd probably go for it, 'cos that ought to easily be enough to keep it populated. At least during peak times.

• Supporters

not True i know when i was running with some American's their would be 8 of us and we would do some pretty f*cking nifty sh*t all on console too! and yes i was the Kickass Pilot B)

If you open it to public then everybody would just be a sniper with 12x... It would make for great "Ghost" gametype but I doubt the game would finish with the exact same players who joined in at the start, due to high ticket count.

But if it's just for yourself and friends/people you invite then it could work. I've never rented a server on BF3 xbox before though. It's quite possible on PC but xbox I have no idea. I sold my xbox copy anyways. If you go ahead with it, post some footage for us. I want to see how the project pans out :)

• Supporters

I haven't the first clue how to record games, what would I have to do?

I probably won't go for it, since it costs quite a lot to rent a server. Maybe trial for a day if it doesn't seem too expensive.

@Airsoft-Ed

Weeeell it's rather expensive to record console games. I used to do it with a Hauppagge HD-PVR. And they're not cheap! It's basically a splitter which sends the video and audio to your PC as well as your monitor. So unless you do it often, I don't recommend investing in such equipment :P

• Supporters

What if I just hooked up my DVD player/recorder to my TV and recorded the footage onto a DVD by recording the channel the Xbox was on... Would that work?

Then I could just take the file off the DVD and convert it or something?

I remember once recording PS2 footage on a video. Back in the day lol.

Its worth a go :P Not paying for anything XD

Need to find something better than fraps to record PC stuff as the compression is terrible. Recorded myself playing a level on metro 2033 and the recording ended up to be 40GB or something stupid XD

Rawcap is always going to be large files.

Fraps in all honesty is one of the worst screen recorders.

Id say hit up DXtory. Uses very little ram unlike fraps which can get hungry after recording for a while.

There are a few good Codecs out there you can use with DXtory to get good compression.but some of them can be a real nightmare to edit as al the best compressions ones tend to be all buggy the second you try to import them into vegas. i tend to use the XfireCodec Myself and record at 1280x720 just to keep file size down.

If you can do it for free then try it! I also use DXTory for recording PC footage. It allows me to split my audio too. It works especially well with my Tritton AX Pros, which has its own communications channel. So I can split my channels between game/teamspeak/mic. It's awesome to have that amount of control. Doesn't take up as much space as FRAPS too, and you can customize it so much. It's worth the money, i guarantee it.

Speaking of which, here's a new gameplay video I uploaded last night :) It's kinda long though:

I used to have a pair of tritton triggers. terrible headset which used a anactive speaker system, drew too much power which left for an aweful crakle sound.

But yeah, with DXtory i can set as many custom audio channels as i like and split the audio after recording. SO i normally have it set to Game output, Microphone Input as well as audio from indervidual programs running at the same time (such as Teamspeak) so Im left with 4 audio tracks per recording (Game Left channel/game right channel, Microphone Input/ Teamspeak Output) Which allows for pretty easy mixing during the editing stage.

• Supporters

I've just rented a server for one day on 360, set it up to be like Project Reality on the PC. Health is at 60% and weapon damage is modified at 200%, so in essence it ought to be a one or two shot kill with practically any weapon within 50m and 2 or 3 shots any further away. At least with assault rifles.

I need people to join to test it out, so add me on Live: Bullet4MyEnemy, or search for it, it's unranked and it's called "Project Reality"

I've only got it until tomorrow so I need people to join ASAP, if it sees a lot of good feedback, I might rent it for longer.

The only really shit thing, is that I can't have it as ranked because I've edited the settings, which means that barely anyone is ever going to find it in a search. =[

Tell anyone you might know about it as well, so far all I've been able to do is invite players I've recently met and none of them seem bothered.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.