Gun Grease/Spray

Mitchell Gee
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hi there, i have a little bit of money and i decided i should get some gun cleany stuff, but should i get spray or grease? as im talking only a bit of money, not a huge amount... is abbey stuff any good? if so will this do for what i need (just cleaning barrel etc.) http://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/Abbey-Silic...se_A5U67.aspx?0

Thanks,

Mitchell

i would say spray since you can just spray a bit onto a piece of cloth to clean your barrel and your mags (an experienced airsofter told me and my friend to do that, stick a cleaning rod down, he said by our age we should know how to do that movement, up and down fast by now!) :lol:

urm ok... awkward moment here :P i think i will just buy that tub of grease a bit later... and get some spray sometime in the future

so your not gonna follow my advice...no-one ever does!

You really need both to maintain any gun correctly.

I'm going to make a guide when I get all my UNI work up to date, on how to clean a rifle.

But personally you need J cloth silicon spray and grease and ofc a cleaning rod.

Step 1: rip the J cloth in he triangles about one and half inches long (may need to be smaller if you have a tight bore barrel), put the tip trough the cleaning rod hole and twist is round. Before putting the cleaning rod all the way down the barrel you should turn the hop all the way off. Now place rod in the barrel and push to the end, push back and forward a few times and pull out (just like sex really).

Step 2:Now you want to repeat what I just said in step 1 only using silicon spray on the J cloth (you can spray it down the barrel but it up to you). You want to do this with a clean bit of cloth on the rod!

Step 3:Once you have but silicon trough the barrel you want to remove any left over silicon so repeat step 1 with out the silicon.

Now that your barrel is nice and clean you might want to put half a mag trough it just to double check everything and short out your hop.

When it comes to cleaning gear boxes it a little more complex but the basic and major thing is not to A: lose any parts (sound easy) B: remember less is more C: Make sure you clean the whole gear box of any crap and replace with good silicon based grease.

This is what I do with my Masada and I'm getting about a 2inch spread at 45m+ ;)

Now place rod in the barrel and push to the end, push back and forward a few times and pull out (just like sex really).

I think you need to read up on premature ejectulation mate ;) lol

WD40, not for airsoft :P

Why not clean the barrel as well as if not better the the stuff they rebrand and charge 5times the amount for.

And what makes you say it's no good for plastic or rubber?

No petroleum based products should be used on non-specific rubber as it corrodes it over time so all will seem fine for a while then your hop-rubber will fall apart :lol:

sarni, if you havnt seen the hop-up and barrel assembly, at the end of the barrel, theres a hop rubber, whick will corrode with WD40 (as tasty as it may be)

Wd40/ gt85 etc all petroleum based products will EVENTUALLY eat away at rubbers but let me tell you this for a fact unless you are going to soak your rubbers in a pot of the stuff for a week or so I gaurentee your rubber will wear out and require replacement due to general wear and tear long before the spray does any harm to it.

That said if you don't want to belive me (bearing in mind I am a certified vechicle matianance engineer and fully qulified electrician using these types of sprays on a almost daily basis) then buy a silicon based cleaning agent from your local auto factors it is the same stuff as the airsoft shops sell just a quarter of the price.

If you are still sceptical then the way I see it is you have two options

1) you take a few mins to see what chemicals are in your over priced sprays and compare to something you can get much cheaper elsewhere.

2) you stick to your guns and continue buying it stupidly over priced just because it's being sold by action hobbies, zero one etc

The choice is yours

i would rather buy something that says, For airsoft guns, on it as i know i can definitely use it, also Jason @Red1airsoft sells the silicone spray for only £7? i know WD-40 is like £4 but obviously i am not a person like you, i dont know everything like that, also does silicone spray have petroleum in it?

Then fair enough a silicon based spray is better than a petroleum one for sure the reason I said this is because the silicon spray I buy costs me about £1.25 for 400ml and it contains the same stuff that you buy for £7 but not everyone has the benefits of trade discounts like me.

:P haha well then

sarni, you might be a automotive engineer but you clearly don't know anything when it comes to lubrication or greasing agents. I on the other hand know a fair bit about them, as I hold a full Degree in Engineering and I am currently a Chef Engineer for BMW.

The difference between WD40 and "airsoft spray" is that ok they may have some of the same stuff in it but as you have said WD40 is a heavy petroleum based lubricant, where as "airsoft spray" is silicon based with traces of petroleum in it (which is why it is on the back on the can).

WD40 if used a lot of plastic's and rubbers will rote them. It's been proven time and time again, WD40 is used for metal parts only (should be) but people (mainly yanks) use it for everything. Silicon based spray will rote your plastic and rubber's but at a lot slower rate compared to WD40.

Number one rule when cleaning your gun, never use WD40! Not only does it rote your plastic and rubber parts it also leave a horrible chemical (can't remember is name!) behind which can rust.

So if your using WD40 I wouldn't I'd rather spend a little more money and be safe knowing my gun is correctly cleaned and lubricated.

If you got any questions on cleaning your gun's PM me :)

me and my mates used it to make the fire we had made larger :P dont worry, he retracted quickly and so it didnt follow up,

anyway basically we say silicone spray...i think?

I think you will find that if you read the post properly my second paragraph says that if you fail to belive what I am saying then just buy a silicone based product from a auto factors for less than half the price of a can from a airsoft shop.

I only said about what I do for a living to show im not just a school boy who knows nothing about anything not to give it the big "I am"

To be honest I struggle to belive that a alleged "chef" engineer at BMW with a engineering degree dosnt know that rubber/plastic can't rust as you have suggested in your above post.

Archived