new L85 on the market!

MZKaleem
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

I love ra-tech, but not even they could make me buy this lol.

I'd like to play with one, but I cant justify the cost of one.

Ill wait for the AUG, and if they ever make a tavor or famas

• Supporters

Oh my god!!!

Where can I get that rail set? Not being able to find a place that sells them is just about the only thing stopping me from buying this rifle, I would kill to kit it out with a grip and ACOG like our forces! =D

Edit:

I think I was mentioned before by Cerbo. I started out with a GBBR. I would vouch for it being a bad idea. But it does teach you a lot about airsofting really fast and they are seriously fun and head turny.

I think I was unlucky with my GBB M16 though, the accuracy sucked major balls and the hop up literally doesn't work. In fact, I'm going to completely remove it when I get home from work and see if there's any improvement.

But yah, I will definitely be picking one of these up at some point down the line. I think I'll try my hand with an AEG for a time first though, saving all that money from not needing to buy gas and heavy ammo will mean I save up enough to buy it and mod the poo out of it without it taking me that long.

Very looking forward to making it my first major project.

Yeah, the front rail set does look good doesn't it?

Not avaliable for the WE L85 yet though. Currently the only L85's that can have the RIS are the Ares, G&G, AA and I think that's it IIRC.

Fire Support will be selling the rails for £135 (they sold out really quick), but there isn't a different RIS handguard for WE/ICS - owners of those 2 simply get a conversion/adaptor kit to allow them to fit the rail.

Quite why WE copied the ICS handguard mech system is beyond me, since the WE doesn't require the extended internal space for batteries, nor does it require the ability to quickly be removed from the weapon to allow quick battery changes that the ICS does :rolleyes:

Not keen on Gas myself but does anyone else think the front end looks a bit odd, more specifically the hand guard? I think my G&G one looks more realistic.

• Supporters

tbh i like it, but I just cant justify the gun, its a wall hanger- albeit a really nice one.

as hubert said I cant see why they copied the ICS system either, I much prefer the ares

• Supporters
Fire Support will be selling the rails for £135 (they sold out really quick), but there isn't a different RIS handguard for WE/ICS - owners of those 2 simply get a conversion/adaptor kit to allow them to fit the rail.

So, how much are these rail adaptors? I'm hoping to get about £500 from sales relatively soonish and even if there are problems with the gun, I'd still like to have one. I quite like working on them when they break so that isn't a massive turn off for me, plus so long as I keep my job I can just about afford it as well.

So that's about £340 for the gun, £135 for the rail set, plus however much the adaptors are to make it fit the gun, mags are about £40... It'll be a long time coming but it'll be awesome once I've got everything.

Does anyone know if there's a rail adaptor for the 18mm sight rail? I want to make it a 20mm so I can use my ACOG on it.

• Supporters

well the adapter, being madbull is likely to be £35 or so

although for mags- you might as well use your m16 ones with the conversion kits- itll be cheaper for you

as for rail adapters- there is one available for 19mm but not 18mm. I cant see why they didn't copy the rs size of 19mm, it also means that susat's cant fit, nothing can unless they make a rail adapter

Not keen on Gas myself but does anyone else think the front end looks a bit odd, more specifically the hand guard? I think my G&G one looks more realistic.

The handguard is the current issue handguard on L85s. Around 2007-8 the old A1 style plastic handguard was replaced by that one - it's more ergonomic, and has points to mount strips of RIS and the LLM(01). The only difference is that it's a 1:1 copy of the ICS handguard, rather than the real version - the ICS model being slightly bigger to allow you to put a very big battery in it.

That's my one fault with ARES - if you want a 2007+ L85 (non DD-rail handguard) you have to fork out about £50 for a new handguard.

The ICS/WE adaptor kit - like I said, Madbull have said they're going to release one. They just haven't said when, or how much for.

18mm rail? I thought they'd actually put the 19mm rail on (if they had, you could buy the Hornbil SA80 ACOG mount from RSOV for £20-ish).

WE's orrigional plans were for the rail to be removable, much like the ICS rail, to allow you to switch it for a 20mm RIS - but, I can't remember if WE actually did make it removable.

no, they (stupidly) used 18mm not 19mm

tards :rolleyes:

Really?

Wow, that is stupid. What did they expect to achieve from that? (Other than being able to claim they have truly unique iron sights)

I'll be honest, of the WE L85s I've seen (in person and on the net) none of them have actually removed the ironsights. (Although this may explain why)

It's almost as bad as G&G/Army's L/R85s having a 20mm dovetail rail. You can't fit real SA80 gubbins on it because it's too wide, and you can't fit RIS/20mm gear on it because it's a dovetail style rail...

• Supporters

I guess it wouldn't be that hard to just forcibly remove whatever rail is actually on the top side, then drill some holes in the reciever to attach a 20mm RIS rail.

Once the rail's mounted it'll cover all the scratch marks or whatever imperfections it might've gained from being removed, so I think that's probably what I'll end up doing.

Maybe once I actually buy the rifle I'll be able to report back on the rail size and removability.

Also, going back to the mag thing. I'm thinking of selling the mags individually for about £5 off the retail price if no one wants to buy them all with the gun, that way I'll be able to almost afford the gun just from selling my magazines.

I don't really intend to buy another 6 open bolt mags straight off because I'm not going to skirmish with it until I've got all the issues it might have nailed down and resolved as much as possible.

First on the agenda is mounting an ACOG and getting a RIS set for the front end. Mags will come after that, then I'll be able to use it skirmishing to identify and resolve any other issues.

I'll write a review once I've got it, but don't expect to see one any time soon lol.

• Supporters
dont forget to sort out the recoil rod pins before firing!nthey could be a pain in the ass to find lol. :P

Yeah I saw a video about them yesterday, thinking of grinding the length down a bit and sticking some sort of sticky filler in the bottom to make them flush with the top again, hopefully that ought to sort it. There's a fake latch on the right side that apparently does absolutely nothing but fall off, too?

I think I might just glue that into one position if it doesn't actually have a functional use or need to move around in some way for disassembly. What does it do on the real steel? Is it a manual bolt catch or something?

• Supporters

If i understand then yeah thats the bolt catch whihc falls out :( doesn't do anyting on the gbbr though

happily WE have made a reinforced part that is supposed to be quite good

I think I might just glue that into one position if it doesn't actually have a functional use or need to move around in some way for disassembly. What does it do on the real steel? Is it a manual bolt catch or something?

Yeah, it's the bolt release. There's one either side, the small square bolt thingy on the left side of the gun is also a bolt release.

It's a leftover from the origional Enfield SA80 project, which was actually capable of being converted to left-handed use (much like the rear sling mount which is left/right hand usable)

I wouldn't just glue it in place, as whilst most owners have had the bolt release lever fall out, there are some who can actually use it.

• Supporters
Yeah, it's the bolt release. There's one either side, the small square bolt thingy on the left side of the gun is also a bolt release.

It's a leftover from the origional Enfield SA80 project, which was actually capable of being converted to left-handed use (much like the rear sling mount which is left/right hand usable)

I wouldn't just glue it in place, as whilst most owners have had the bolt release lever fall out, there are some who can actually use it.

I'll have to examine it when I get the rifle, without looking I can't really picture how it can be attached in a way that lets it fall off so easily...

Obviously if it can be used functionally, I'll use it that way. If not, I'll just have to wait and see how it attaches and see if there's a way to tighten it.

Ah, I stand corrected. Just asked an owner. He pretends it works - if you watch some of the videos of it being used, if you pull the charging handle back and let go, it moves forwards, and by placing your hand in just the right position it looks like you're using the righthand release.

I still wouldn't glue it in place, unless even with the replacement kit there's no way to keep it in place.

If you speak to tisane on the Zero In forums, he fixed both out of the box faults on his WE L85, he might tell you how to do it.

He seems to be a pretty nice guy anyway

• Supporters

Yeah I spoke to him about that too, as far as I can see the only fault he has left to fix is the holes in the bolt.

To do this I believe you need the steel bolt from ra tech

Archived