DPM South African Assault Vest (SAAV)

abbadon101

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

DPM South African Assault Vest (SAAV) made by Kombat

(images from Flecktarn.co.uk)

dptav3nx500a.jpg

This vest is great. Well built, comfy (it feels more like webbing than a Assault Vest) pockets for everything and most importantly for a first buy CHEAP.

The vest is great it has 4 double M16 mag pouches (you would be VERY hard pushed to get anything else in here but 1 AK or AUG mag might fit), 2 on the shoulders and 2 on the kidney pouches. 2 grenade pouches next to the shoulder ammo pouches. It has 2 large kidney utility/dump pouches, these have a small flap on top that means you can put used mags in without needing to undo the pouch. 1(2) Large rear pouch that can be used as 1 long pouch for a Hydration unit or as 2 pouches for carrying things (waterproofs, etc...). The on the front, bottom left hand side on the vest in the pic, you have what appear to be 2 ammo pouches. These are VERY hard to get into with all the other pouches full, I put my speed loader in there as I wont be needing it in a firefight but putting mags in there would be a bad move IMO. Then lastly you have a reasonably sized utility pouch on the bottom right side for whatever you have left (spare battery?). . . . . . . I forgot the easy to miss map pouch behind that, but it is quite small and very easy to miss, as yet I have to find something to put in there.

dptav3nx500c.jpg

The quality of this is great. Strong and Sturdy. Made of Nylon (so the website says) and is 100% water proof (so don't leave the the pouches open when its raining as there are no drainage holes). It is fully adjustable from REALLY skinny (I'm a 28 inch waist) to quite a lot bigger than me, and the shoulders are adjustable too.

dptav3nx500b.jpg

As the first piece of webbing/assault vest I have its great. Ideal for a new starter on a budget (and veterans who want a cheap piece of kit). The only couple of small niggles I have are the mag pouches are quite tight and so they can be a little slow to access and the "mag" pouches on the left hand side are a PITA to get to even when the vest is off or empty.

Overall rating:

9/10 (after all NOTHING is perfect)

• 5 years later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.