What does airsoft cost?

Tommikka
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Here’s a topic I’ve intended to put up for a while.....

I’d like to ask ‘what airsoft costs?’

This is a similar topic to which I have put together in Paintball 

Not the cost of buying airsoft gear, but the cost of playing

From what I’ve seen, the norm of airsoft appears to be similar to Paintball walkons / scenarios.

Though I’ve only really been involved in site events, and PR for a university Paintball/airsoft society, so my experience is blinkered

General questions would be :

How big is ‘punter airsoft’ (rentals) in comparison to what I would call ‘walkons’ (the regular crowd) and/or are they routinely mixed

What styles of airsoft are there?

Eg punters & walkons

Big games, scenarios, day or weekends etc

Proper milsims

‘Experiences’ or special / unique games (I’m thinking of things such as zombie survival which isn’t necessarily aimed at airsofters but is a day out for the public etc and could be using airsoft

Varying costs on different types of sites (woodland, urban (ex army sites / factories / shopping centres etc), special sites (eg hired active special sites such as copehill down etc) 

Do people typically travel the country, use their local, go international etc 

The obvious costs I’d be interested in are entry and BBs (bought on site or bring your own etc)

Extra Rental costs if you need gear, or bring a friend etc

(I noted on one thread a while back that a site ran Paintball or airsoft, but expected airsofters to be regulars so had a rental package which seemed pricey because they hired it in, which to me appears to make their rental airsoft more expensive then rental Paintball

Example What Paintball costs from my original thread:

In Paintball we have the ‘punter’ who plays as a rental.  These are the real big numbers who play rarely, or once, but are the numbers on site each weekend bringing in the bread and butter to the sites by paying for the paint they use at the highest markup 

Then the ‘walk-on’ who pays more on entry and a much lower paint price by the case - using more paint, probably spending the same or more than punters but using less Marshall & staff resources

Moving on from walkons are events such as scenario (the most similar to airsoft) and tournaments

https://p8ntballer-forums.com/threads/what-paintball-costs.153010/

Over to you guys, please don’t restrict to the general questions, but post up anything that you would think is valid to inform someone looking at airsoft

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

Short answer - apparently ALL my money. I have no self control.

• Supporters

Walk on £20 to £30

bag of decent-ish bb's £10 to £15 (say half a bag a day but depends on semi or spraying)

(depends where/when you buy 'em and if postage included or shared)

Me personally think a buying a good cheapo cyma cm5xx gun is worthy consideration

To renting a knackered gun IF you think you are likely to go for it getting ukara'd etc...

Obviously every person is different and if not sure or just a one off testing water - rental

But ffs don't buy a SRC Dragon or worse a Bulldog B500A1  ( M805Alike some idiots do... ) 

:wacko:

Trouble is, this toy gun malarky can easily get out of control if you are not careful

Golf might be a very expensive hobby to take up, but this damn plinking stuff can get out of hand

Image result for my biggest fear is my wife selling my airsoft

Don't know much else, but there will be a good sale on when I croak

Walk on with your own gun and lunch = £20 walk on usually 

Rentals are free at my site (lul).

Adding cost of ammo - well i'm still using 0.2s atm and they are £10 for a bag of 5000 at my site which lasts 2 game days worth.

For travel... urgh... I hitchhike. 

All in all, £25 for me for a whole day.

Usually

£10 for the half day (changing to £15 in a fortnights time)

£10 for bb's

Call it maybe £5 for gas for pistols etc.

Thats a usual fortnightly costing for me. BB's/Gas is a guestimate as i rarely use a full bag/battle on a single given day. But have been occasionally known to have a full day and shoot 3.5k rounds in a hectic session.

Monthly costs for me - I normally play every fortnight. 

Walk on's - £36 ( 2x£18 if using local site) or £50 (if once local, once at The Depot - Glasgow)

Ammo - Probably get through a 1kg bag a month so around £10

Gas - Same big can has lasted me 3 months... so say £2 maybe, if that?

Lunch/snacks/drinks - Lunch is included in walk on's so probably about £5 on snacks and water.

Petrol - Hardly noticeable if playing local, however Glasgow is about £25

Normal walk on at my local site is £20 for non members, and that includes rental kit and lunch. 

• Moderators

i havent played since November so its probably gone up!! - figures are last time i played and bought ammo

I use my own ammo at the moment as have a fair few to get through!

Urban Assault (30min drive for me)

Walk on £25 / Rental £50

Ammo £6 / excell 0.20 bbs (approx 3000), cant remember 0.25 costs

http://www.urbanassault.org.uk/

Gunman Tuddenham (30min drive for me)

Walk on £25 (£40 for weekend) / Rental £55 (£90 for weekend)

http://www.gunmanairsoft.co.uk/?page_id=192

Team Green (30min drive for me)

Walk on £25 / Rental £35

http://www.teamgreenairsoft.co.uk/prices

Combat Airsoft Thetford (50min drive for me)

Walk on £17.99 / Rental £27.99 - £35.99

http://www.combatairsoft.co.uk/prices.html

The mill £15 for 3 hours

probably about £1 in fuel

i use Geoff’s BB’s which are expensive at £18 but 1000 would last me multiple games, so balances out. 

Propane £8 assuming I’m not testing or anything else will last me 3 games. 

My downfall isnt isn’t playing the game but rather hoarding cool guns that I want and never use because everything I buy doesn’t live up to my main weapon. I must have spent £5k in 12 months buying stuff to sell on at a loss lol.

in contrast, by brother has a jg g36c which was £90. It’s got £15 worth of maple leaf hop up in it and a £20 red dot. Minus his £15 walk on fee, his only expenditure is £12 every few games on some g&g .28’s. 

Airsoft is easy to do on a budget. It’s the gun addiction that gets you. 

£20-30 full day walk on, about a £5s worth of gas with about 1/3 of an £8 bottle of BBs for a full day (if that, I run low caps).

Lunch is sometimes included. If not then £2 for lips and arseholes in a bun.

So about £30-40 all in for me to do a full day. (not including petrol etc)

Kit wise, best not to say how much that cost me... lol :D

I've never done rentals but the last place was about £45 for a RIF + 1000 bbs + face protection per day.

• Supporters

£20 at Outpost, or £15 for members.

£30 at Alpha 55, or £20 for members.

Rentals are included in the price for both sites.

Travel using the bus, so it's about £5 for a dayrider. I have a student pass so it's free for me. 

I often buy some refreshments which sets me back about £2 although I do bring my own now and then. 

Ammo I buy beforehand. 0.25 ASG. I use upwards of 1000 rounds, so about £2.50 worth. 

In total I'm looking at spending more or less £30 depending on the site. 

Every game:

£30 Walk on at the depot (x2 if my dad wants to come)

£5 Air Refill

£14 Tracer BBs (use a little less than a bottle a game

£1-2 x4 AAAs for tracer

£5-10 of fuel (1 hr drive)

Every few games:

£7 BBs (used for pistols)

£7 Gas (“ “)

Wow more expensive than I realised :blink:

• Supporters

most of the sites here you're talking £15 for a walk on, and depending on how trigger happy you are you could go through £10 of ammo on the day

plus lunch and travel, wear and tear on gear etc.

of course all that pales in comparison to how much i've spent on guns gear and the relentless pursuit of accuracy. but that's a personal choice as its easy to spend much less (or indeed much more) than i do.

in terms of rentals it tends to be a mix, sometimes it'll be all walk ons, sometimes it'll be majority rentals, i remember one game we had 3 rentals as a group and 3 walk.

• Moderators

54 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Airsoft is easy to do on a budget. It’s the gun addiction that gets you. 

26 minutes ago, Arwen said:

Totally agree with this! :D

yeah agree there! :lol::lol:

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

you could go through £10 of ammo on the day

:o

I think I only ever use that much if I'm running my SAW!

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, Lozart said:

• Supporters

Oh god, well it really does depend.

Game fee is £22-30ea.

BBs I buy bulk, so cheaper than most around £7 for 3000. I don’t use half of that, but team mates do.

Gas, I use a bottle of Red every 3 months, £12.

Fuel, this is the expensive part,(I drive a gas guzzler) Around £20/40-80 a game day!(multiple people honest)

I tend to go most weeks, but do have breaks every now and then.  Yeah, it can be expensive, but it all depends on how good the day is.

• Supporters

You may as well post out a bog roll to every Airsofter and say start writing your list ! 

Me personally I don’t think you can really quantify a scurmish day down that easily , I play predominantly at just two sites (black ops Cribbs and Black ops Portishead) and I can safely say no two game days will cost the same one day I will use a sh*tload of ammo , gas and pyro the next time I go I’ll use two or three mids all day and zero pyro BUT still enjoy the day ! 

Only thing I can say that’s set in stone is fuel to get there and the greens fee , so really it’s from £45 on would’s from there .  

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Aengus said:

Every game:

£30 Walk on at the depot [...]

Wow more expensive than I realised :blink:

Especially as it's £32 now.  Still worth it for a well run big indoor site with lunch, I reckon.  Couple of £££ for BBs, I get through hundreds rather than thousands.  Maybe £1 on primers, £2 if I'm fragging myself and Aengus.

£20 outdoor at Nomad, maybe £5 on a few thousand BBs, probably a bit more now that they've gone bio, plus whatever you want to spend on lunch.

Nothing on gas, nothing on consumable batteries yet.

Daft amounts on guns and gear that I don't need.  100% agree that's where the cost is.  But if I didn't spend it on that I'd just waste it on the mortage and food and such.

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Lozart said:

it depends on the game, but a defensive game where you end up playing whack a mole with the other team for half an hour you can go through a lot.

of course if i break the mg out it's guaranteed to cost :D

i like to think of it compared to a cinema ticket, £25-30 for 8 hours entertainment works out about the same as a £7 ticket for a 2 hour film

40 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i like to think of it compared to a cinema ticket, £25-30 for 8 hours entertainment works out about the same as a £7 ticket for a 2 hour film

That to me is the key factor

Whatever we’re doing with our spare time; ideally we are buying fun

If one thing costs more than another thing, is it worth that money (and the time it took to earn it)

I began in Paintball as a punter, and went back.  I would buy the paint for the money I was willing to spend, I discovered other flavors of Paintball, such as walkons and scenarios.  Walkons were cheaper and at another site, so I bought more paint and spent the same money, I also still returned to the original site spending the same money at a higher rate - because I liked the site 

I was told about scenarios and travelled for weekend events - expecting to shoot twice as much .... but typically shot the same or less due to putting time into objectives rather than firefights. Extra costs on entry possibly balanced out, but were worth the extra for bigger, more complex games with effort and features by organisers 

I jumped on the bandwagon and organised our own events 

I dabbled into tournaments, and actually spent and shot less - irrespective of individual shooting but on an equal share of the team costs. This was balanced by structured training instead of other teams that ‘trained’ by repeatedly playing ‘practice’ games of just shooting 

Then became a photographer, but possibly jointing in skills training on Saturday and taking photos Sunday 

But there is always something that can be bought so the disposable income still goes

Any one of these brings me pleasure, pumps adrenaline and provides time with friends

Archived