Buying a surprise gun for my son need help

Greenmagic
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone I'm new to this site 

I know you heard this question  a million time but I don't know much about airsoft as it is for my son 

It is my son's birthday soon and I'm going to surprising him with a new rifle but with the  research I've done I keep coming up with these two guns 

1) Krytac trident mk2

2) vfc avalon series 

I have a budget of about 400 all in and that's to get battery aswell 

Which one would be the best out the box as he doesn't upgrade them only changing summit if summit breaks

I look forward to all your replys

• Supporters

Couple of questions - do you have a UKARA registration/site membership? How old is your son?

Other than that, get the Krytac.

• Supporters
Just now, Greenmagic said:

I personally don't have anything but my son does he is 19 next month 

I like the krytac myself but a lot of people say that vfc avalon series are on par but with better externals 

If YOU don't have UKARA then you will only be able to purchase a two tone gun. If your son DOES have a registration then you may be better off giving him the money and letting him buy it.

I still say buy the Krytac.

I would do as Lozart says, take him out for the day and drive to an airsoft store without him realising, tell him his budget and watch him go wild!

1 minute ago, Greenmagic said:

That might be the best idea

He will not like two tone 

But I was really wanting to  surprise him I though because he lives with me I could place the order in his name and registration number so it gets delivered to him

Honestly if it were me I'd be happier being given the money and taken shopping to buy what I really want. Airsofters are fickle things, we can lust after a particular style or model for ages and then change their mind at a drop of a hat.

Provided it's posted in his name, using his UKARA then it shouldn't be an issue.

I don't have a bank card, All the online banking is done in my wifes name, including paypal ect. I've had no issues using her cards to order in my name. But the delivery must be addressed to the UKARA holder, At the address the UKARA is held.

• Supporters

To be brutally honest - just ask him

I know you want it it to be a surprise & all that....

BUT it would be a bit of bitch if he says he wanted an AK :wacko:

Krytac is the safer bet, VFC have upped their game with Avalon

Think I would also say Krytac - but WHICH ONE ????

But honestly, he might want a shorter model and you buy a longer one instead

Great you wish to help out your son, but as a young adult (not me - your son)

as a young adult you should really seek out his opinion - he will thank you for this also

He might not want you to spend £400 though, but really think you should seek his input

(than just ask what others say is best gun)

He might want an Evo or something or I'm fine but a new sidearm would be great

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Iceni said:

the delivery must be addressed to the UKARA holder, At the address the UKARA is held.

That's not entirely true. I've bought from several places that were happy to deliver to my office so that I could ensure someone would be around to sign for it.

8 minutes ago, Lozart said:

That's not entirely true. I've bought from several places that were happy to deliver to my office so that I could ensure someone would be around to sign for it.

Did you have an account with them and had them previously deliver to you home address? Not that that would matter anyway, they check the details before sending the Gun. So if the UKARA is refused the order won't ship if it's from a UK company.

If it has to go through customs then you are best to have all details correct, including shipping address. As the UKARA might be checked as it passes customs.

• Supporters
Just now, Iceni said:

Did you have an account with them and had the previously delivered to you home address? Not that that would matter anyway, they check the details before sending the Gun. So if the UKARA is refused the order won't ship if it's from a UK company.

If it has to go through customs then you are best to have all details correct, including shipping address. As the UKARA might be checked as it passes customs.

One was from Taiwangun, another was from XSite. Didn't have an account with either prior to purchase. The only issue was with the XSite order because Royal Mail screwed up the delivery.

Obviously the billing address is the same as the UKARA details so as long as they have a match in the order they clearly don't mind. TWG actually go as far as to state that if your shipment gets stopped by UK customs it's not their problem!

Hi sitting duck

Thanks for the input

I know he's been wanting a krytac trident mk2 crb for a while now he had a go of one and I hear always talking to his friends about it 

But when I done a bit of research the vfc avalon series kept popping up and just wanted to make sure krytac is the best bet

Thanks 

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Greenmagic said:

Hi sitting duck

Thanks for the input

I know he's been wanting a krytac trident mk2 crb for a while now he had a go of one and I hear always talking to his friends about it 

But when I done a bit of research the vfc avalon series kept popping up and just wanted to make sure krytac is the best bet

Thanks 

Ahhh - fair doo's

And to be fair who really would turn down a nice new Krytac

(though if he isn't happy - I am available for adoption)

Fair enough, you got a pretty good idea of what is on his wish list

If that is what he wants then go for it

Perhaps just drop some hints about VFC and gauge his reactions

probably play safe and go with Krytac one

But you know how picky & often these kids/young adults chop n change their minds

Mine is 18, given up airsoft, chasing girls & besotted with cars & stuff

bloody kids, now costs even more money & hassle - moves onto more expensive toys

Yeah Krytac, but perhaps a bit of fishing/digging in a subtle way - just in case

• Supporters

I'd get him what he'd been enthusing about, not what other people suggest as an alternative.  Although I will agree that we're a fickle lot - it took me weeks to finally stop swapping guns in and out of the basket on my last order and just hit "Take all my money".

Use his UKARA number.  It's entirely up to the sender whether they accept it or not.  Same surname, same address, I'd be astonished if you can find anyone who gives a quarter of a toss.  Legally, there's absolutely no issue for you, since it's not an offence for you to purchase or attempt to purchase a RIF - the risk is entirely on the seller.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Duff said:

Honestly if it were me I'd be happier being given the money and taken shopping to buy what I really want. Airsofters are fickle things, we can lust after a particular style or model for ages and then change their mind at a drop of a hat.

1000x this

i spent a good 6 months hankering over getting one of the we gbb dragonuv's and a matching makarov for a russian loadout.

i ended up buying an mg42 and a luger...

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Sitting Duck said:

To be brutally honest - just ask him

I know you want it it to be a surprise & all that....

BUT it would be a bit of bitch if he says he wanted an AK :wacko:

Krytac is the safer bet, VFC have upped their game with Avalon

Think I would also say Krytac - but WHICH ONE ????

But honestly, he might want a shorter model and you buy a longer one instead

Great you wish to help out your son, but as a young adult (not me - your son)

as a young adult you should really seek out his opinion - he will thank you for this also

He might not want you to spend £400 though, but really think you should seek his input

(than just ask what others say is best gun)

He might want an Evo or something or I'm fine but a new sidearm would be great

I agree, if he has absolutely no idea on what your planning then its just as likely he may not have updated you on what he now likes.

another concern is that warranties etc on aegs aren't great usually, some shops are shite, be a sickener if you do 400 quid on a gun only for him to say its not what he wants, & then the shop is a dick about returning it, or wants to hit you for "restocking" charges etc.

personally, he has ukara & you've got a decent budget, sit down in front of a pc with him, & have a look at taiwangun or gunfire.pl, tell him you want to buy him a gun (& anything else) & to make a wish list in order of priority, don't tell him the budget, if is top choices come under budget who knows, maybe you can buy him 2 rifles, or a rifle/pistol combo, if he thinks he's only got 1 thing coming then imagine his surprise aka joy when he opens the package.

its what I'd do, more bang for your bucks :) 

Archived