I want to start airsofting

Airsoft4life
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi,

I'm 14 and I know this is what I want to do and looking to start airsofting. I am pretty sure i want to get a G36c variant as my first gun as I have done quite alot of research.I was wondering which G36c would be the best to get first,I was thinking the Jing Gong G36c. I was also wondering what you would recommend for my loadout. I'm also pretty sure that I would like to get a super high capacity mag like a drum mag so I don't have to carry lots of mags.I have a budget of a bout £300 ish to get all the guns and protection  etc (not including clothing or footwear).What would you recommend for me for my first loadout?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

Welcome.

JG G36 is good to start with. Get one with the M4 magazine adapter and some M4 midcaps. Mag changing is fun.

Good full face protection will be needed and I recommend getting boots. Everything else is optional. :)

• Supporters

Hello and welcome.  Just so you're clear, you're going to have to get someone 18+ to buy the gun and gift it to you.  Also, they'll need to buy a two-tone version as they won't be able to provide the seller with a UKARA or other defence.  Finally, most sites will want someone 18+ to accompany you.

A JG G36 will be fine, and it makes a change from all the M4s and AKs out there.

The drum mag is... well, it'd be different.  You'll get some frowns and you aren't likely to be allowed it in any sort of a milsim.  Thing is, depending on how long each game is at your local site, and your propensity for spraying and praying, you'll be hard pressed just to get through the ~470 round hi-cap that comes with a JG.  And if you're intending to go through more than 2,500 rounds in a day, you'll need to invest in more or bigger batteries as well, plus batteries for the mag.  I'd agree with Samurai that the money would be better spent on mid caps.  As he says, you can actually replace the magazine well on a G36 with one that takes the more readily and cheaply available M4 mags.

But the heart wants what it wants.  And I have to say, a big drum mag looks like a giggle.

• Supporters

Drum mags on AA-12s should be default. I love the look of RPKs with them too. 

Every time I turn around your Vector gets even more outlandish @rocketdogbert. I love it. Looks like some futuristic Sniper/LMG hybrid. 

7 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Drum mags on AA-12s should be default. I love the look of RPKs with them too. 

Every time I turn around your Vector gets even more outlandish @rocketdogbert. I love it. Looks like some futuristic Sniper/LMG hybrid. 

Ha ha, yep. That’s on the Krytac, the KWA is getting HPA and a remote magazine

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Hello and welcome.  Just so you're clear, you're going to have to get someone 18+ to buy the gun and gift it to you.  Also, they'll need to buy a two-tone version as they won't be able to provide the seller with a UKARA or other defence.  Finally, most sites will want someone 18+ to accompany you.

A JG G36 will be fine, and it makes a change from all the M4s and AKs out there.

The drum mag is... well, it'd be different.  You'll get some frowns and you aren't likely to be allowed it in any sort of a milsim.  Thing is, depending on how long each game is at your local site, and your propensity for spraying and praying, you'll be hard pressed just to get through the ~470 round hi-cap that comes with a JG.  And if you're intending to go through more than 2,500 rounds in a day, you'll need to invest in more or bigger batteries as well, plus batteries for the mag.  I'd agree with Samurai that the money would be better spent on mid caps.  As he says, you can actually replace the magazine well on a G36 with one that takes the more readily and cheaply available M4 mags.

But the heart wants what it wants.  And I have to say, a big drum mag looks like 

The thing im quite small which means not much space so i just want a few or 1 mag to reduce weight cost and bulky/increase compactness but if i maybe had to mid or highs taped together so i just swap the ends that would be good BUT THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP AND WHAT IF I SIGNED UP TO THE BRITISH AIRSOFT CLUB BECAUSE ISNT THAT A VALID DEFENCE?

• Head Moderator
7 minutes ago, Airsoft4life said:

BUT THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP AND WHAT IF I SIGNED UP TO THE BRITISH AIRSOFT CLUB BECAUSE ISNT THAT A VALID DEFENCE?

You MUST be at least 18 years of age to join the BAC. http://britishairsoftclub.com/airsoft-players/

Do not try and circumvent the law, it is illegal to buy an IF or RIF if under 18.

There is no valid defence or loop holes because it is illegal for someone under 18 to be sold an airsoft gun

• Supporters
21 minutes ago, Airsoft4life said:

The thing im quite small which means not much space so i just want a few or 1 mag to reduce weight cost and bulky/increase compactness

Sure, it's not unreasonable.  Carry the drum mag out of the safe zone, slap it in and you're good to go without having to worry about reloads.  There is something satisfying about swapping mid caps over though.  Relying on a single magazine could end your day early though if it goes wrong, but most guns will come with a 400+ round hi-cap magazine anyway, so just bring that with you in case you need to fall back to using it.

but if i maybe had to mid or highs taped together so i just swap the ends that would be good

Also viable, and as it turns out, see those little bobbins on G36 magazines?  They're for clipping them together.

vtU7a8U.png

BUT THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP AND WHAT IF I SIGNED UP TO THE BRITISH AIRSOFT CLUB BECAUSE ISNT THAT A VALID DEFENCE?

OUCH MY EARBALLS.

No, as above, there's no (legal) way around it.  You need someone 18+ to buy the gun, and they won't be able to provide a defence unless they're already an airsofter with a UKARA number.

What I will note is that there's no age limit on the defence for converting a two-tone IF into a RIF, ie. for the purposes of airsoft skirmishing.

However, before you do anything, first check that you'll be able to play, and do a skirmish with a hired gun to see if you enjoy it.  What's your local site, and what are their rules on under-18s playing?

Won't discuss legal side as it's already been discussed - However, you don't need to worry about 'weight' with midcaps. They weigh practically nothing.

Typically drum mags will be heavier anyway. My dual M4 drum mag is stupidly heavy, looks avsolutely ridiculous, and gets so much hate. But then I can keep firing without worrying to reload while I watch a hater fumble and drop his real cap while doing his 6th reload within 5 mins of the game starting lol. Well worth the money for that alone.

I do have multiple hi caps, 3 mid caps, and a single real cap for my M4s (note these have come with guns i bought, preowned and such, other than my midcaps)

So drums too me are just a lazy way about doing your day, if you plan to use that many bbs then fair play, or like me. Literally use it as a single way to transport lots of bbs (3000 capacity on my dual drum) and not have to carry as much baggage to the game.

Think I used 800 on a CQB day... That was it. Semi auto all day... But not one reload lol.

And i read something online that says that joing the British airsoft club is an alternative to getting a ukara.

• Supporters

To purchase a RIF you need to be 18+ with a defense. A defense could be something like a site membership or UKARA. If your farther purchased a RIF and gifted it to you that could be a way of obtaining one. 

The British airsoft club can be an alternative to the UKARA as the UKARA is just a scheme

The law requires sellers to ensure the buyer has a defence, such as being a skirmisher at insured sites

The law also requires the buyer to be an adult

If you dad played enough to gain his own defence then he can buy and give you a gift

• Supporters

Depends on the site. Doesn't matter either way mate as you're 14 and nobody will sell you an IF or an RIF. 

You'll need an adult to gift it to you if you want your own gun. 

• Supporters

BAC require members to be over 18.  See http://britishairsoftclub.com/airsoft-players/  

In any case, as has been explained repeatedly, it's an offence for anyone under 18 to purchase or be sold any imitation firearm, realistic or otherwise.  Asking the same question repeatedly isn't going to change the answer.

Put the horse before the cart, figure out if you can play (with or without supervision), then go and actually do it with a hire gun.  Then you can fret over how to get your hands on your own gun.  Demonstrating that you're sensible, have good impulse control, and are actually likely to stick with airsofting will make that an easier process.

For example you may find someone at your site who's happy to sell on a RIF to you or to "your dad" if they can be confident that the next time they're going to see it is on the field rather than the local news.

ok thanks

One other thing whats the best why to get your parents to get you an airsoft gun if they are very anti-gun and think im sick in the head because i have looked at airsoft videos and will never let you have a gun in their house? (aka my case)

• Supporters

Then you're screwed.

If it's as bad as you claim then even inviting them to a skirmish to educate them on the sport would end badly. 

Asking them to spend money to obtain a defense to purchase a RIF for you to play war when they are anti-gun is not going to work. How did you think it would? 

Even if you somehow managed to get a RIF you said yourself that they won't allow it in the house.

You could keep it on-site I suppose and use it when you play but then you've still got to find somebody willing to purchase and store it for you to use in the first place. 

I'm not saying it's impossible, just unlikely. Do you have any other family? Elder brothers or an uncle who'd be willing to go through the process?

13 minutes ago, Airsoft4life said:

ok thanks

One other thing whats the best why to get your parents to get you an airsoft gun if they are very anti-gun and think im sick in the head because i have looked at airsoft videos and will never let you have a gun in their house? (aka my case)

Grandparents :D:D:D 

1 hour ago, Airsoft4life said:

ok thanks

Then you're stuck with doing rentals. Your best bet at that point is to calmly explain to them you're going to be playing airsoft regularly, and without your own equipment it actually just makes it more expensive. 

Remember: You're 14. They are your parents. My sister is 14 and I wouldn't trust her with any of my guns, because, put simply, she is an idiot and would almost definitely end up hurting herself or someone else. That is exactly how your parents will think (possibly with the exclusion of the idiot part)

i thought about buying all my safety gear first to show i care about the safety and im going to stay into it.

Archived