Sniper rifle ideas!

Steptoe
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Looking at possibly building a sniper. Briefly looking into the whole sniper scene, it’s turn out you can’t really get a great sniper out of the box.

I do like the simple look of the vsr, so this leads me onto is it worth paying for the tm version or is the cheaper cyma one just as good, as you are pretty much changing all the components.

any suggestions ideas please share.

Okay so my disclaimer with snipers: I have never owned one so take anything I say with a pinch of salt.

My opinion in snipers is in all honesty, as long as you get a good solid metal gun, the internals are largely irrelevant. Why? You'll upgrade most of the internals as all the good stock snipers cost a bomb.

I personally would look a good stock sniper (still costing a couple hundred mind) but just be prepared that you'll have to upgrade the internals, which will obviously cost a lot more. 

TL;DR

Focus on externals.

May as well start with a JG vsr as you’re going to have to gut everything anyway. 

Stick with spring powered unless you’re experienced. 

Maple leaf bucking/ crazy jet barrel is very good. 

That’s what I was thinking, surely there is no point in buying a tm vsr for £200 odd when I’m going to completely strip out all the internals. 

Building the thing is simple enough, can anyone recommend good bases to build from? Also which components? Would like to stick all to one brand.

any good uk contacts?

• Supporters

Yeah, it doesn't matter. You'll be switching out practically every part anyway so just buy one you like the look of. I'm no sniper but I like the A&K M24. With a little tinkering and a few upgrades I reckon you could build a pretty decent rifle for just a few hundred. Though I'm no techie. You'd have to ask somebody else for the specifics. 

This is a dark world you enter! One I entered a while ago without much knowledge. So for me it was get something out of the box with over 450fps and cheap as I just wanted to play (when I started) So with little or know research (bad) I opted for the CYMA 702 from http://www.taiwangun.com/en/spring/cm-702a-cyma?from=listing&campaign-id=19 at just under £90 seemed a bargin. 3 mags and a speed loader, fluted barrel just like the SSG24 bargin.  So first skirmish on a fairly windy day rounds were going everywhere with .36 bbs changed the hop and a bit better but still no better than a good aeg. I could however keep a bunch of guys heads down with just me allowing the others the flank.  So I started reading/watching youtube following ever lead to see what you could do to get the 702 a little bit  better without breaking the bank.  After lots of dead ends and oh you need to drill this out etc I came across airsoftpro in czech republic. This company has loads of info on most sniper rifles and has a button on each showing what upgrades are available. So for me a tightbore barrel and the weakness of the 702 a better hope unit for £65 they also do the cnc trigger units but I didnt think mine was too bad.

Anyway loads of options so I hope this helped.

BW69

I know it’s going to cost approx £200-300 to upgrade. The question is however, do I go for a cheaper vsr frame or the tm frame? Do the parts from aspuk, pdi, edgi etc fit as good? Don’t want to buy a vsr format for the upgrades not to fit correctly.

I’m looking at possibly saving £200 pounds by not going for the tm and opting for a rifle already with a metal trigger and guard, as that seems to be the most expensive part.

If you going to spend £300 to upgrade on top of the gun then go for the easy option the SSG24 not sure what the cost is to get into UK you may save £100 going the upgrade way but for what amount of hassle?

If I can get and build one for £300 then it’s totally worth it.

if it’s going to cost me like £400 and be time consuming to find source parts you are totally right.

Go over to tiawan gun they have the MB03 for £55+£11 postage, i put a upgraded ali piston head and it shoots at 500 fps (new spring with piston head put the fps to 550) . All other parts are stock as even the new barrel i also brought put it to 550fps. upgrade all you want 

• Supporters

It's hard to argue against that as a cheap base unit, and I didn't argue against it, and I've just ordered one.

However I'm led to believe that the MB-03 hop unit isn't VSR compatible and Maple Leaf buckings won't fit in the stock hop.  I'm suspicious of aftermarket units that list themselves as both VSR and MB-03 compatible, although to be fair these aren't hugely complicated toys.

Something I quite fancy trying in the mid term is fitting a shorter crazy jet barrel, and chopping down the outer barrel to essentially create an MB-02, which is what I would have bought if GunFire could keep them in stock.

Archived