Full size rifles and CQB

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Do any of you ever use full size rifles for CQB.

I know it isn't ideal, but if they have retractable or folding stocks is it doable?

Most of my skirmishing will be CQB, because the most convenient sites for me  are CQB sites. I like it anyway. But I am hoping in time to occasionally get some outdoor gaming in.

What surprised me about my CQB experience was that I was mainly shooting, and getting shot, at around 15-20 metres. I had this idea that I would be entering lots of enclosed spaces concealing the enemy, but it wasn't really like that most of the time.

I intend to have two rifles: one short one especially for CQB, and a full size one for outside. But I just wondered if I could actually use either of them effectively indoors. Do any of you ever do this?

• Mostly Retired Moderators

You could get away with an M16 size if you're clever.

Rifle in hand for corridors, long room's etc.

Pistol in holster ready to be grabbed for tight corners, entering doors etc.

• Head Moderator

I use a 416D or shotgun for CQB and it is fine. A small SMG / PDW works well of course. And just using a pistol is fun.

• Supporters

Any carbine length rifle should be fine. A standard length m4 for instance. Sub machine guns are good too of course but ultimately it's down to how you move more than the length of rifle. 

Hats off to anyone who takes a 12x scoped VSR with suppressor extension and bipod to CQB

As everyone else has said almost any Assault Rifle, Carbine, SMG or Shotgun is suitable for CQB.

Handguns are useful for confined spaces where you are unable to physically shoulder a weapon and as a backup if your Rifle etc goes empty or down. 

• Moderators

yeah never had any issues with my AEGS, all M4 (ish) based,  retractable stocks,. G33F is ideal as the stock folds but like mentioned, its how you handle it :)

• Supporters

I've seen a chap play with an M249, presumably with a modified trigger or techno-MOSFET to give it semi-auto fire.  As OP notes, even on an indoor CQB site there are generally areas where you can set up and shoot a fair distance, or just put it down and go on a pistol rampage.

Personally though I wouldn't want to use anything longer than an M4 as a primary.  I've just ordered an MP5K, and will be front wiring the M4 and removing the stock as well.

• Supporters

Yeah, all a shorter barrel does is make it easier to corner. Having a rifle length gun doesn't stop you from playing CQB (although it could get quite difficult depending on the area you're in) but you will have to pay attention to where the end of your barrel is. Practice helps. I don't play at any dedicated CQC sites but there are a few buildings at one of the sites I play at and I've never really had any particular trouble whilst indoors. For reference the barrel on my M4 is about 14".

It's all about corners..

A long gun isn't a problem if you know how to properly approach a corner (mattthemusketeer has a decent video on corners)..

Although in some cases (really tight spaces, multiple people fighting the same corner) a short gun is more suitable..

And then there's me, who hates anything shorter than 10" from the deepest of his heart, just like any dog smaller than a beagle..

• Supporters

I’ve regularly CQB’ed with an M14 in the past with no problems .

23 hours ago, djben9 said:

, its how you handle it :)

Thats what she said!!

But to echo some points made, most average size rifles will be ok, Barrel length doesnt make much difference so get a decent shortish rifle and it will do you for the odd outdoor game too. I used to go sniper hunting with my short barrel CM16 and to good effect most days. *Note* im not saying buy a raider, I would personally look to buying a more expensive gun if you truely want something adept at cqb and woodland

• Supporters
On 17/03/2018 at 12:25 PM, emilianoksa said:

I know it isn't ideal, but if they have retractable or folding stocks is it doable?

One last point on this - the stocks aren't retractable/folding to allow you to do CQB stuff. It's for storage and carrying in vehicles.I know it's a bit of an anal gun geek thing but when people say "ooo a SCAR is great for CQB 'cos you can fold the stock" it just boils my piss. Adjust the stock to fit you and use it. If you find the gun too unwieldy get one with a shorter barrel.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Lozart said:

when people say "ooo a SCAR is great for CQB 'cos you can fold the stock" it just boils my piss.

If I shout "Pew! Pew! Pew!" while shooting my plastic toy, will it make yellow steam come out of your ears? :P

• Supporters
Just now, Rogerborg said:

If I shout "Pew! Pew! Pew!" while shooting my plastic toy, will it make yellow steam come out of your ears? :P

No. I doubt I'll hear you from here.

7 hours ago, Lozart said:

One last point on this - the stocks aren't retractable/folding to allow you to do CQB stuff. It's for storage and carrying in vehicles.I know it's a bit of an anal gun geek thing but when people say "ooo a SCAR is great for CQB 'cos you can fold the stock" it just boils my piss. Adjust the stock to fit you and use it. If you find the gun too unwieldy get one with a shorter barrel.

Likewise when people assume handguns are better for CQB.. only when you point out that the end of the barrel when holding a handgun properly is pretty much in the same place as it would be using a SMG/Carbine. 

It's almost as bad as when people say 'Primary and Secondary Weapons'... your 'Primary Weapon' is the one that's in your hands at the time.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Jayjay said:

Likewise when people assume handguns are better for CQB.. only when you point out that the end of the barrel when holding a handgun properly is pretty much in the same place as it would be using a SMG/Carbine. 

Ehhhhh.......I can see where they're coming from on the handguns thing. While yes, your muzzle is going to be in roughly the same place you can pull a pistol in close a lot more easily for tight maneuvers. There's no question that a full length rifle CAN be used in CQB but truth be told it IS easier with an SBR or SMG/handgun.

18 minutes ago, Lozart said:

I can see where they're coming from on the handguns thing. While yes, your muzzle is going to be in roughly the same place you can pull a pistol in close a lot more easily for tight maneuvers.

Absolutely.. and that's what makes it better, the fact it can be tucked in easier.. but people assume when they hear handguns (or any gun for that matter) are good for CQB is because they are a smaller gun.. not because of the fact they are more easily manipulated in small areas.

• Mostly Retired Moderators
24 minutes ago, Jayjay said:

Unless you're this guy

600px_jw2_317_by_batkong40-dbmxf9u.jpg

2 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

Unless you're this guy

600px_jw2_317_by_batkong40-dbmxf9u.jpg

But even then if you notice watching anything from this film, whenever he is able to his arms are at full extension.

In hand to hand combat scenes of course any gun could be fired from the hop or without a proper grip and extension.

• Supporters

I tried playing CQB like John Wick once , but I got banned for life ! Had the greasy hair , the black suit the Glock , M4 and KSG were fine , but then apparently someone got all arsey when I used “ A f**king pencil ! “ :blink:

Archived