Paintball/Airsoft

GunNut
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ask anybody about Paintball and they will have either played it or at least heard of it. So why do so little people know about Airsoft, which is extremely similar, cheaper and more realistic?

It may have something to do with the fact that Paintball is far older than Airsoft, but what about the younger generation? I think I read somewhere that Airsoft is one of the fastest growing sports in the UK, but is this really true?

In my opinion, Airsoft should be given a higher status in the media and in peoples impressions, rather than it being 'some weird gun thing where people shoot each other', which I've noticed some people think. And also, some people seem to have preconceptions when it comes to Airsoft (and guns in particular) which they don't have for Paintball. Maybe this is because Airsoft can be compared to real military simulations, where Paintball can't.

All ramblings aside, what's are your opinions?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im not too sure why either...probably because people advertise paintball parties and stuff in shopping areas, also i was wondering why everyone in my year thinks i play with BB guns? they must not know one obvious thing, i use a plastic BB gun, the term BB, is commonly used as a metal pellet or ...well ball bearing, so if i do play with "bb guns" why is it so crap, i could easily kill them if not injure them badly, and im not joking, some of them i want to kill!

• AF-UK Founding Member

Paintball is better advertised especially towards corporate events and so it has more money to invest in sites and more advertising etc. Everything can be provided to you, which isn't the case at some airsoft sites.

also i was wondering why everyone in my year thinks i play with BB guns? they must not know one obvious thing, i use a plastic BB gun, the term BB, is commonly used as a metal pellet or ...well ball bearing, so if i do play with "bb guns" why is it so crap, i could easily kill them if not injure them badly, and im not joking, some of them i want to kill!

Arghh! I know exactly what you mean, it really annoys me too.

Yes, Paintball is way better advertised, but why?!?!?

haha yeah, next time i go pant balling im gonna take a GBB pistol, tell em what realism looks like :P

EDIT paintball guns mostly work flawlessly in the cold, 1 more reason, they run on Co2 as far as i am aware :)

well gas none the less, seems our gas techniques are not as good as theirs though, ours only just work in cold conditions :P

I'm going to start using that one dave because I always say "it's like paintball only using replica firearms which shoot 6mm bb's" and the response is nearly always the same "so you run around a woods with bb guns that sounds well cr*p/gay" I think it's because nearly every male in this country has some experience of springers when they were kids and don't realise how different it is to that.

+1 sarni, or i could say, Airsoft is basically CoD IRL (Because we all know it is...) except you dont get "jugger-noobs, you get cheaters, you dont get hackers, you get systema PTWs, you dont get quick scopes you get a scope hitting you in the eye...

'it is a military simulation wargame using RiF's' sounds much better.

Wow, that's good. Makes you sound really knowledgeable, although it is the simplist of things!

It is obviously waaay more popular in the states (airsoft) as they have cheap guns to introduce people in Walmart, i thought, hey Asda is part of the Walmart family, they have AIRSOFT GUNS!!! YAY, turns out

A ) They dont

B ) They suck anyway :P

• Supporters

In the states they have far more relaxed citizens, over here people are scared of anything gun shaped or even remotely knife or other weapon shaped. I personally blame the media (yeah, i know) they portray everything as a bad thing. I carry a knife, when i am not going to college, because it is a usefull tool to have, I'd rather have it 'binered to my belt loops and not need it that someone ask for one and not have it. I have mentioned it to a few people and some have seen it and questioned me about it quite harshly and ALL of them appeared shocked. people need to learn that knives are tools before weapons.

the same goes for airsoft guns, they are toys before anything else in my mind. Yes they look real, but it shouldnt stop companies being allowed to advertise and let the economy grow (if only vaguely)

people are only scared by airsoft guns because they don't know what they are, who we are and what we are about. with a little education I'm sure airsofters could have the same benefits (or at least not be descriminated against) as paintball has. (maybe even reverse it, we are honest players, paintballers are all D*cks ;) )

they also tend to have a fear of the unknown and everyone knows paintball.

Good stuff dave, all true

send to everyone you know...

EDIT, not chavs though, lets keep this a good community

Only problem with that video is somethings are applicable to the UK (ie no mention of UKARA, the red tips guns in the video plus the bit about some states not allowing airsoft...)

Just show em a vid of Stirling Airsoft and everyone will be buzzing to go! :lol:

That video is pretty good, I will show that to anyone that asks me what Airsoft is.

Dave has really hit the nail on the head here, because of the media people frown upon guns of any sort, even harmless ones like Airsoft guns. Some people are too stubborn to actually find out about things before they make a judgement.

Firstly there is a massive stigma attached to guns. My Dad's mate who owns red 1 airsoft get's some funny looks from people walking past the shop. I recall one old lady saying: "Guns in St Albans! This is an outrage! What next?" People run a mile when you mention anything vaguely to do with guns. It also dosn't help how people are so badly misinformed about the hobby.

Also do we really want all the prats who go paintball airsoting? The chavs and all the rest. On the other hand I think the sport needs more publicity to grow and to avoid the stigma attached to guns.

Lastly I don't think comparing airsoft to COD is a great idea, there's already enough no scoping twits who think they can jump in the air at point blanc with a sniper rifle who don't take their hits! :lol: I don't mind people who play COD, playing airsoft - I play it myself. It's just when you get them playing as if it's COD that gets on my nerves.

Anyone sorry about the rant! :P

haha yeah, random people wondering down the village arcade, looking at all the shop, all fine, jewellery and clothes AND HOLY F***ING $H** IT IS A GUN SHOP WITH KIDS IN IT!?!?!!!

Archived