Exterior cleaning

FreeFrag.UK
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Just wanted to get some quick advice on cleaning the exterior of airsoft guns. As it stands I've picked up a tin of "Bogod - Easy Slide - Silicone Compound" (photo attached) as I've been given the impression that this would be suitable for thoroughly cleaning the exterior. The exterior is made up of a mixture of metal, rubber and I think some polymer/abs type plastic.

IMG_20180314_172808.jpg

• Root Admin

Sure, if you want a really greasy gun and hands.

Just use a lightly damp cloth if it's anything like mud. Extra points if you use isopropyl alcohol, but bear in mind that it can remove the finish on crappy painted metal that's not been finished properly.

• Head Moderator

Moved to Advice & Technical Help

Assuming 'silicone compound' is just another way of saying silicone oil - I wouldn't use it on the exterior. It's more for keeping moving parts moving smooth I believe.

Everyone I know just does the following: Dry cloth, wiping any dust/dirt off the gun. Wet/damp cloth, scrub down the exterior making sure to get into nooks and crannies. Dry it off with another cloth (Admittedly you can just let it air-dry.

For most guns just a clean damp cloth if necessary or a clean dry cloth for anything else.

However, since I am going to buy a gun with a blued steel exterior,I will have to use a cloth with light gun oil on it in order to protect it from rust. Silicone cloths have their place but they do not really protect bluing as well as something like Napier, Lubro-Teknik LT6, etc.

I know I will have to be careful not to let any of this seep into the internals, but if I put it on very lightly and then rub it off with a clean cloth, I suppose it will be okay. Then I'll put it in my metal airgun cabinet.

If I'm making a very silly decision please do not hesitate to tell me.

Archived