Screw cut outer barrels

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just about all rifles seem to come with an external screw cut outer barrel for attachments. Some have flash hiders etc.

Is there any standardisation of diameter and pitch? I notice that there are 16mm to 14mm adaptors on the market.

I just wondered if most barrels were 16mm and attachments had 14mm internal threads. 

Or is there a lot of variation?

• Supporters

Most AEG barrels are 14mm CCW threaded. A lot of AK's however come with a 22mm CW or 16mm thread. The 22mm ones are usually on the outer of the flash hider and can be removed to reveal a 14mm CCW thread. G&P tend to use a 14mm CW thread though.

Some (like the CZ Scorpion I believe) have a 16mm thread, my old MP5K has an odd thread but it's actually an internal thread on the sight post rather than on the barrel as such.

Adaptors are many and varied though!

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

On a related subject does adding the extra weight of a silencer, or tracer unit to a blowback pistol running on green gas, make it difficult to impossible for the slide to work properly?.

10 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

On a related subject does adding the extra weight of a silencer, or tracer unit to a blowback pistol running on green gas, make it difficult to impossible for the slide to work properly?.

Silencers fit to the barrel, not the slide sir.

Guest scalawag
8 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

No it makes no difference to the operation of the slide.  The suppressor or tracer unit will screw into the barrel on most pistols, and as the slide moves independent of the barrel it is not affected.  The barrel may move/drop  a little bit when the gun is fired but this movement is also not restricted by the addition of a suppressor/tracer.

Thanks.

Yes, I am new to airsoft, but not to guns in general. I know the silencer is attached to the barrel.

Just wondered if the extra weight on the barrel might increase the inertia of the slide due to the front heavy balance. Some gbbs don't have a particularly heavy recoil.

Thanks for also clearing that up for me.

Archived