Staying dry on the field? Is issued Gore-Tex stuff good?

Skara
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey bois,

the last time i've played airsoft (2 weeks ago) it was raining as hard as it could get, in freezing temperatures and the rain was actually mixed with snow (yeah, it was crap)..

I had my Helikon level 5 jacket on me, which is not a rain jacket, it doesn't have a membrane and the seams are not taped, it just has some DWR coating on it to shed light rain for a short period.

Needless to say i was drenched by noon, i had 1 inch of water in my boots and i was freezing my ass off along with all my teammates, being not too stupid i had a clean, dry change in my car..

What do you guys do when it's raining? Do you wear waterproofs? Or do you get wet and have a change of clothes?

I am also looking for a good budget friendly waterproof set..

I've heard mixed things about the British Army goretex stuff.. some say they're great pieces of kit, others say they're crap..

I'm interested in the lightweight mtp goretex jacket, judging by some pictures it must be Gore-Tex PacLite material, which isn't that bad (i have a paclite jacket, but it's yellow and grey so not the best thing for airsoft :P)

Is it worth? What do i have to look for when buying surplus stuff?

We do play in almost every weather, unless we see a bearded old man with a huge wooden raft calling for animals..

• Supporters

I haven't tried the army issue stuff for airsoft, but from years of motorcycle use (on the west coast of Scotland :( ) I'd say that if I wanted something that was both breathable and waterproof, and that would remain so for year after year of regular use, I wouldn't waste my money on anything other than Gore-Tex gear any more.

But then how regularly do you airsoft in the rain?  For airsoft use I just spent a few £££ on cheap non-breathable vinyl camo waterproofs.  They keep water out, they keep sweat in, but I'd choose that over being soaked from the outside. And for all that I'll ever be wearing them, I couldn't justify the cost of even army surplus Gore-Tex items.

Quite often during the winter actually..

There's no problem for me to get wet during regular Sunday trainings/skirmishes, the problem is when I'm at 8 hours + events, usually there I don't have the chance to change my clothes if not at the end, and 8 hours in wet socks and underwear isn't pleasant at all..

If I can't get a Gore-Tex shell, which are extremely expensive here, would anyone recommend the various ECWCS jackets out there? Helikon/Tru-Spec are the 2 most available ones as far as Google allows me to search..

There's also Pentagon, which I've never heard about, but I'm afraid their monsoon 2.0 jacket is just a softshell with dwr coating..

According to their respective websites they have an actual membrane (called Helikon-Tex and h2o proof respectively) that guarantees the same levels of water resistance and breathability (10000mm wp, 8000+mm^3/h bh) as genuine Gore-Tex fabric, while being considerably cheaper (sub €100 for the Helikon one, probably less for the Tru-Spec) considering my 5 years old Salewa shell was around €350 and my Montura paclite costs €315..

I can't find proper reviews on those 2 jackets though..

Guest scalawag

I have not played in it yet, but I do have the British issue MTP waterproof windproof smock and trousers which I have used in the rain and both are brilliant.  You can tell the smocks from the standard windproof as they have a black fleecy lining which the standard ones don't.

This is the issue waterproof windproof stuff with a Gore-Tex like layer added in, not the issue 'Waterproof" gear which I believe has some sort of treatable layer but is really not that great.

This is the one I have:

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/shop/jackets/mtp-combat-waterproof-mvp-smock-1395158.html

and here is a video review of it:

• Moderators

i just stay at home....:rolleyes:

the few times ive played in 'rain'  it has been at Urban Assault, as most of it is old buildings your only in it when running between them, so not an issue really

Other games its been raining en-route etc so your only gonna get wet clothes from the after affects brushing past vegetation 

I dont wear anything water repellent though, i have looked but its finding something suitable, in the colour you want thats not to expensive as only used a few times if that a year ....

You sound like you do it a lot more so will need something thats going to last more

wonder how many played in the snow at the weekend and bought snow camo! :lol::lol:

Snow's easy to address, just buy a painter's suit lol, easy camo and waterproofs for €3 :P

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/shop/jackets/mtp-lightweight-goretex-jacket-1123392.html

How 'bout dis?

Or dis:

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/shop/jackets/british-army-dpm-goretex-jacket-1123349.html

The DPM one may even look better over a-tacs fg BDUs

Guest scalawag
3 hours ago, Skara said:

Those are the lightweight issue jacket which although it has Gore-Tex I find can be a bit hit and miss as to how waterproof and breathable they actually are.  You may get a good one, but on the other hand you might equally get a lemon.

I'll be honest. I just continue playing and get over it. I recently played at X-Site in Lane End. 8 hour game in the snow, in just standard MTP trousers + shirt (not smocks or jackets).

Yes, I was freezing, but you get over it

i dont use it for airsofting but i got an american apecs jacket in abu camo, made by propper inc. its gortex was only about 45 quid to buy. would recommend them hands down matey. will keep you bone dry in a hurricane (tried it in worst weather imaginable)

• Supporters

I’ve got the full set (as has a team mate) and I’d highly recommend it .

all I would say is pay a bit extra to get the ones still in the packet , just don’t know the history otherwise.

• Supporters

I got issued the lightweight stuff for a mandatory holiday, but it rained for maybe half an hour total while I was there so never wore it, still haven't worn it because I've kept my old DPM set.  I've spent a fair few hours getting rained on in the older style/heavy weight stuff, it's seam taped, never let me down even in torrential stuff.

I'm not convinced by the trousers generally, I think you're best served with a L5 uniform set and L6/GTX jacket you can throw on your upper half because the softshell lowers will resist some rain then dry nice and quick once the rain stops (unlike poly/co or NYCO).  If you're standing still defending/guarding or whatever at a weekend event then the full GTX set makes more sense, but I find it annoying overall to run around in and just adds that bit too much retention of heat and sweat.  Temperature plays a parts here of course, colder it is the more sense it might make having the set.

Bottoms are not a problem, I'm a scout, I'm used to shorts even in the snow lol..

Ok, I may look for a dpm Gore-Tex jacket then..

Is British Military Surplus a good website? What are the alternatives?

• Supporters

-eBay

-Waiting behind trucks that drive off bases

There is a heavyweight set in MTP as well (and DDPM), tends to cost more I think but it'll be far more resilient (and hotter ofc).

Mhm, there's a large NATO base near my town (Camp Darby in Pisa), may go and ask them :P

8 hours ago, Skara said:

Bottoms are not a problem, I'm a scout, I'm used to shorts even in the snow lol..

Ok, I may look for a dpm Gore-Tex jacket then..

Is British Military Surplus a good website? What are the alternatives?

I can confirm it is a phenomenal site. I get literally all my clothing from them (helmet, coat, shirt, t-shirt, trousers, boots) and always receive it promptly. They even sent a replacement item out to me free of charge whilst letting me keep the other item as it had been their fault.

Will buy the full DPM set..

£40 for jacket + trousers..

£30 p&p lol..

That makes €78 shipping included, which is roughly a third of what you pay the average Gore-Tex jacket..

Seems like a good bargain to me, isn't it?

1 hour ago, Skara said:

Will buy the full DPM set..

£40 for jacket + trousers..

£30 p&p lol..

That makes €78 shipping included, which is roughly a third of what you pay the average Gore-Tex jacket..

Seems like a good bargain to me, isn't it?

£40? You can get the jacket, shirt and trousers for £25 (-p&p)

Gore-Tex, not the standard bdu..

Poncho. No seriously.

You can pick your underlayers for warmth, I like the Czech parka for when it's really cold because it's insanely warm.

Put your webbing on then put a poncho in whatever style over the top.

It'll keep your mags dry and feeding, It'll keep you dry and warm, and you can pull the gun inside it as well when you are waiting for contact. It'll also keep your webbing and tac vests dry.

They also take up no space and weigh nothing, so you can leave them in the kit bag without needing a lot of space.

Alright..

I found a website https://strikeforcesupplies.com

That has the MTP ones, new, still in their packages..

Plus they have a really nice multicam hoodie :P

Is it a good website?

If not I'll proceed with british military surplus and their DPM set.

In the meantime I'll try to get a camo poncho asap, I need it for this Sunday and the shipping from UK to Italy takes about 2 weeks :(

Found one in a-tacs fg for about €25 shipped..

Archived