Plate carrier and belt questions thx

GothicGhost
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I got my first cheap plate carrier to replace the harness, but I am not sure where I should  have the pouches.

Should I have most of my pouches on the pc and just pistol on the belt?

How do you guys and girls run your pc and and belt setups?

And last question is cardboard a good idea to make plate inserts or would that get too hot?

Thanks.

pc4.jpg

• Supporters

Just play with it and change things as you need to. There's no 'right' way to set up your gear lines and I often switch things around as I see fit. 

I often run this setup: 

Plate Carrier

Front: 3 Mag Pouches

Left: 1 Mag Pouch, 1 Utility Pouch

Right: 1 Pistol Mag Pouch

Rear: 2 Horizontal Utility Pouches or daysack

I keep my right mostly clear so I can draw my sidearm easier. 

Belt

Left: 2 Pistol Mag Pouches, 1 Small Utility Pouch

Right: Pistol Holster

Sometimes I'll just take everything off and just use the kangaroo pouch which is built into my PC and not run a belt at all.

I've seen this type of plate carrier before. I didn't think it had a slot for inserting plates. I thought it was just something that lay flat against your body.

Cardboard will work if you want a bit of rigidity, but hard foam will work much better. Cut the shape and it will mould around you as you play giving a perfect fit. 

Put everything in priority of use and ease of access.

That's all it is really, you just need to try points of placement that suit your ability to access kit in various positions be it prone, crouched or standing.

I have lost many many hours to this process but it is improtant to tailor it to your own specific needs.

It's worth seeing how people do it but not everyone is the same so there's little point copying others (generally).

Whatever you do, don't overload yourself.

Best practice is use what you need, OR use what looks cool but be prepared for a loss in comfort and mobility.

For CQB I don't really care for looks so much, I run:

- JPC , Small, lightweight, elastic cummerbun (so no obstructions on my sides)

- Triple Kydex insert for 3 mags up front (fast reloads)

- Triple elastic pouch ontop (fast reloads OR holding grenades, disposable or BFG)

- Helikon duty belt with pistol holster, dump pouch, pistol mag pouch, BFG holster.

That's it for CQB, bring what I need and no more.

For field the elastic cummerbun on my JPC holds 3 mags either side of me tight against me + an extra on my belt.
I also have a backpack for bb's, gas, spare goggles + anti fog.

Again, like most things in airsoft, it's all personal opinion for what works and looks good.

I know friends who run 1 high cap to CQB and it lasts them at least 1 round, no plate carrier or belt,

I know others that wear full MARSOC or British military outfit with all the right pouches and med supplies.

Everything works, just depends what works for YOU! :) 

[EDIT] 

Instagram for plate carrier ideas:- @the_carrier_page    or mine/ my team's @officialscarairsoft  @scar_corky

Where did you get your plate carrier, if I might ask.

The only gear I have at the moment is goggles, half face mask, and gloves.  Since I am only doing CQB currently, it gets me by. No pouches - one hicap mag got me through my first three hour game.

But at some point I would like to get some kit, and have no idea where to begin. 

I didn't read your last line sorry!
Cardboard would be terrible for plates as it would permanently compact eventually.

You don't 'need' plates, but they are handy for rigidity.

Couple options on the cheap, an old exercise/yoga mat and cut a plate size out, if you use a thin one you can either use single, double etc to change the thickness.

You can also use EVA foam (the big jigsaw kids play mats) as this is about the thickness of real plates.

You can also buy fake sapi plates (hard plastic or foam).

Just now, emilianoksa said:

The only gear I have at the moment is goggles, half face mask, and gloves.  Since I am only doing CQB currently, it gets me by. No pouches - one hicap mag got me through my first three hour game.

But at some point I would like to get some kit, and have no idea where to begin. 

Hi mate, I was once in your place!

First bit of gear I owned was goggles half mask and a leg holster for 2 hicap mags.

I then got myself a chest rig, low profile, much cheaper than plate carriers and simple.

However at the time this was for purpose over look, I have since updated to a newer look (for purpose and the fashion :P ).

Best advice I can give to people is just start shopping airsoft stores like military1st and others to get ideas of names of gear, also just look up photos!

What looks cool to you? - THAT is what you should wear :) (it's also okay to have nothing and run one mag if you would rather ;) )

Check out my insta and my team's perhaps, we have a few different loadouts: @officialscarairsoft  @scar_corky

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

Not sure who you're asking but if you're talking to me I bought my JPC from shootercbgear. The brand is MODI. 

Have a look at the loadout thread..

Anyway, I went through a sh*tload of kit only to find out that the lighter the better..

I currently have 2 chest rigs, a plate carrier and a belt + harness, I run them according to weather, temperature and the amount of crap I need to have with me.. I almost always run a small 20L backpack..

As far as pouch placement: they must be comfortable for you, I typically run mags on my front and left because I'm right handed so I have quick access to them, and put everything else (batteries, bbs, spare eyepro, extra items) either on my pack or in places where they don't interfere with my arms movements..

I typically don't run a secondary (only because spare mags are hard to find and they're expensive af) but the idea is to have it on your belt along with its magazines..

There are a lot of YouTube videos as well on how to build your kit, some of them are dumb but if you go check on real steel channels you can find a lot of useful tips..

2 hours ago, GothicGhost said:

These are the most commonly cloned ones and some of the cheapest, be mindful amazon is not a seller... it's the exact same as eBay.
Also watch as the molle on cheap clones can be misaligned/weak and occasionally in Asian sizes (smaller than European).

3 minutes ago, Corky2110 said:

These are the most commonly cloned ones and some of the cheapest, be mindful amazon is not a seller... it's the exact same as eBay.
Also watch as the molle on cheap clones can be misaligned/weak and occasionally in Asian sizes (smaller than European).

To be fair the stitching looks pretty good judging by the pictures, if that even means anything and the seller is in the UK

Stitching, alignment, materials..

The things that matter the most when buying molle gear..

The only well made ciras body armour I've seen was a genuine Eagle one, and the guy paid over €400 for an used one..

After 7 years of constant use it's still in perfect shape, but that's only because the materials and the stitches are top notch..

1 minute ago, Skara said:

Stitching, alignment, materials..

The things that matter the most when buying molle gear..

The only well made ciras body armour I've seen was a genuine Eagle one, and the guy paid over €400 for an used one..

After 7 years of constant use it's still in perfect shape, but that's only because the materials and the stitches are top notch..

Nice! However I have a 2 year old 8fields JPC, comfy, stitching still not pulling apart and colours are good and tough too.
Cost £25 so even if I totally wrecked it.. it's £25 to replace :P This ain't war

You could do worse than have a look here for some background on plate carrier set up.

Informative in a "tongue in cheek" kind of way

1 hour ago, Guyver1 said:

You could do worse than have a look here for some background on plate carrier set up.

I watched this video and now I slay THOTs

9 hours ago, Guyver1 said:

Love this guy total man crush. It take me ages to find   what I like had a jpc  but  it made me carry load more then what I need so I run a tmc 5.56 chrat rig with kydex inserts for rifle  mags and  trmr holster in kydex.  I'm got a a belt on order but I'll just run  a  dump pouch  Kydex pistol holster m4 fast mag radio pouch, double pistol mag  and if there's space a utilty pouch 

Once my legs are stronger so I can play bigger  and more milsimy  outdoor games  I'll be getting an m249 or a bar 10 and upgrading   so will juat run that with belt  and a rucksack as I'll  eventually  get a tag launcher too  My loadout is more of cillivan  so now I prefer to stay away from pc and camo now.

You juat have to find what works for you and the games you play.  But the only way your know if trail and error

Archived