Scope protector

Black_Ice931
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

A decent one won't crack. At the most it will get a bit of a scratch. You probably bought a cheapo one designed to break instead of the sight. 

At least the sight isn't damaged (i assume?). Best to chuck away a £5 lens protector than an expensive sight!

What's scope is this for? Do you want it to be DIY or pre built? Either way look into getting some high quality perspex. Even cutting up saftey glasses you see in science labs and fitting it in front of the lens would work well I'd imagine.

I've been lucky enough to avoid getting shot in the optic so far but I use a 552 lens protector just to be safe than sorry. Clips right in and has good visibility.

• Root Admin

What optic is this for? If it's an EoTech 552/551/XPS etc. then the best solution is those precut ones for sure. If it's a red dot or other tubular scope then buy a cut your own Lexan or go on eBay (there are sellers who will precut it for you for a couple of quid). Be sure to put an o-ring between the plastic and the actual scope lens so that the force from the BB is cushioned and not just transferred directly onto the scope.

The worst of both worlds is those godawful ugly ones that sit a couple of centimetres intfront of the optic.

• Supporters

Whatever you do, put some kind of protection on it.  I've lost two camera lenses and a holo sight in short order, lesson learned.

Haven't got a picture right now but.

I have one of those 

12 hours ago, proffrink said:

Snip

The worst of both worlds is those godawful ugly ones that sit a couple of centimetres intfront of the optic.

For mine as it came with my preowned Pinty RDS lol.

I actually mount the protector the wrong way round so it folds backwards towards the sight, rather than the bb impacting a solid wall.

BUT

By pushing the mount as close as physically possibly to the RDS, when it folds back it gets stopped by the top frame of the RDS (which I have attached a small bit of rubber padding to)

So now, i run with the lenses folded back onto the rubber and all the bbs get deflected up and away from the sight. Obviously it will break sooner or later, but that angle is definitely helping and the rubber is cushioning it. (And where i play gun hits count, so even if the bb flies up into my goggles or misses me, I'm out anyway)

Yes admittedly it looks freaking stupid, but it works.

Archived