Sales template

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Could something regarding location be added to the sales template for RIFs?
It's one of the first things one tends to think about when it comes to buying second hand.
It will avoid a lot of PMs enquiring about location ,only to find that someone is at the other end of the country.....

I think he is talking for collections?

Guest PT247

I guess actually having location if collection is offered would be an idea, I just think on a national forum, folk should just go with the delivery option.

Some people will drive a distance to a meet point though, especially for large bulky things or bundles of parts
I did it when I bought my sniper bundle lol. I met the seller at a services which was about midway between us.
Only had to pay for the petrol then lol.

Each to their own but I feel that the seller should add location as a comment in the post anyway if they are willing to do collections.

• Supporters

Even just the county or area code would be handy. There's items I've bought which would have been quicker and cheaper just to travel to the destination instead of fussing over postage and delivery times. 

You could meet up at the nearest game site instead of giving them your home address if that's something you're worried about. 

Silly Question Warning
Will we need the root admin for this change?

Please say no otherwise we are in for a looooong wait lol

• Supporters
2 hours ago, LightningCh said:

Silly Question Warning
Will we need the root admin for this change?

Please say no otherwise we are in for a looooong wait lol

Moderators can already pin, edit and remove posts. We don't need a root admin for that. 

So no. 

• Head Moderator

Only @Devastator the root administrator can make the change.  There are no other admins.  Moderators cannot alter templates.  We can only remind members to edit their posts with relevant information and not to early bump.

• Supporters
47 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

Only @Devastator the root administrator can make the change.  There are no other admins.  Moderators cannot alter templates.  We can only remind members to edit their posts with relevant information and not to early bump.

Wait seriously? Is it because the post was originally locked by a root admin? I've seen you edit posts in the past. 

• Head Moderator
Just now, Gepard said:

Wait seriously? Is it because the post was originally locked by a root admin? I've seen you edit posts in the past. 

Mods can edit any post, whether it is locked or not.  But we cannot change any of the proforma templates that we use.  Mods do not have any admin rights.

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, Jedi_Master said:

Mods can edit any post, whether it is locked or not.  But we cannot change any of the proforma templates that we use.  Mods do not have any admin rights.

My mistake. I didn't know that when you create a new sales post it creates a template for you. I figured you just had to copy/paste it from the pinned post which a mod could just edit. 

Either way I think it's a lot of wasted potential that you don't have the required permissions to change simple things like templates..

46 minutes ago, Gepard said:

My mistake. I didn't know that when you create a new sales post it creates a template for you. I figured you just had to copy/paste it from the pinned post which a mod could just edit. 

Either way I think it's a lot of wasted potential that you don't have the required permissions to change simple things like templates..

LONG POST BECAUSE I RAMBLE.

It really is wasted potential...

I've done a lot of moderating and admin work in the past for various things from social media to gaming chats to forums and wikia and such, so this situation gets really silly in my eyes.

The fact that a mod can't do admin work is justified (moderating is enforcement of rules, admin is the paperwork behind it all)... BUT they are roles that should be evenly done and controlled. You need enough admins to keep up with changes, and enough mods to deal with rule enforcement... 

On a forum as active as this you would want 1 active admin, and 2 mods really (overkill on 2 mods but its justified for when 1 cant come online)

Not saying that Jedi cant run it on his own, because he does, and he does a great job in doing so. Just in my experience, it doesn't take much for a mod to skip a day (WiFi issues, holidays, etc.) and ok, 1 day away from the forums isn't really going to do a whole lot, but I personally prefer knowing there is a mod on in case things go wrong.

We don't ask for enough changes to warrant 2 proper admins, but it would be nice to have 1 that's here daily, even if its just a post or status update so we know they are still around.

Realistically you could have Jedi run everything admin and mod, but ideally you need 1 dedicated admin, and 2 dedicated mods (more time coverage, and can get to posts faster between them)

TLDR: It really is wasted potential having Jedi as a mod without admin support, and it's a real shame that this is the case.

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, LightningCh said:

LONG POST BECAUSE I RAMBLE.

It really is wasted potential...

I've done a lot of moderating and admin work in the past for various things from social media to gaming chats to forums and wikia and such, so this situation gets really silly in my eyes.

The fact that a mod can't do admin work is justified (moderating is enforcement of rules, admin is the paperwork behind it all)... BUT they are roles that should be evenly done and controlled. You need enough admins to keep up with changes, and enough mods to deal with rule enforcement... 

On a forum as active as this you would want 1 active admin, and 2 mods really (overkill on 2 mods but its justified for when 1 cant come online)

Not saying that Jedi cant run it on his own, because he does, and he does a great job in doing so. Just in my experience, it doesn't take much for a mod to skip a day (WiFi issues, holidays, etc.) and ok, 1 day away from the forums isn't really going to do a whole lot, but I personally prefer knowing there is a mod on in case things go wrong.

We don't ask for enough changes to warrant 2 proper admins, but it would be nice to have 1 that's here daily, even if its just a post or status update so we know they are still around.

Realistically you could have Jedi run everything admin and mod, but ideally you need 1 dedicated admin, and 2 dedicated mods (more time coverage, and can get to posts faster between them)

TLDR: It really is wasted potential having Jedi as a mod without admin support, and it's a real shame that this is the case.

I totally agree but at the end of the day it's up to @Devastator to do what's right and hand the torch over to somebody who is more active such as Jedi. 

Unfortunately I find that very unlikely given what I've seen and heard from users since I joined. He just doesn't seem to care anymore.

I mean what happens if - for whatever reason - the website goes down? How do we contact the only root admin who can do anything about it? 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, PT247 said:

You seem to all be assuming that Jedi wants admin roles lol :D

Why not? I don't mean to put words in his mouth but being admin would make it easier for him - or anybody else for that matter - to moderate.  

• Mostly Retired Moderators

I've offered to help moderate in the past, which Jedi seemed thankful for, but it can't be implemented until Dev actually decides to stay online longer than is necessary.

• Root Admin

I don't have much problem with disclosing what we discussed with Devastator (given how long ago it was and how this has played out exactly as expected), but offers were made to help with the more core administration (one can lock down the admin control panel to allow certain things but not others). The conclusion was basically 'buy the site from me or shut up'.

We can keep posting in these threads, but ultimately Devastator wants to both have zero responsibility and also doesn't want to delegate the day-to-day running of the site. It boggles the mind as to how somebody can take such a thing for granted and be so absolutely sure that members who've actively posted for 4-5+ years would be playing some sort of long game to take over the forums from the inside (as if such a thing is even possible with the aforementioned locked-down admin CP, non-ownership of the domain, and the inability to make sweeping database changes), but that's the situation we're in (and the primary reason why I stopped moderating). It took about a year for the core membership to pressure him into assigning some new moderators (as the old one - with the exception of Monty perhaps - don't do/haven't done a whole lot of actual work in about 3-4 years).

I fear we're occasionally shedding actual contributors (but at a rate too slow to be measurable). The only thing that makes this place worth visiting is the sorts of people concerned enough to post here and who actually answer questions. As a proportion of the membership you're/we're continuing to dwindle, however. Please keep up the good work and make this place worth coming back to.

• Supporters

I'm fairly new to the forum but can see how frustrating this must be for both mods and users alike - especially if it's being going on for several years now. 

The more I hear the more I think Devastator sounds like a right arsehole. 

• Root Admin

Not actively, but he's fairly apathetic. In my books doing that on such timescale such as this (and having been provided with a reasonably detailed summary of the grievances for both the core members and the moderators alike) whilst still choosing to do nothing is reasonably dickish. I'd probably agree, ultimately.

35 minutes ago, proffrink said:

I don't have much problem with disclosing what we discussed with Devastator (given how long ago it was and how this has played out exactly as expected), but offers were made to help with the more core administration (one can lock down the admin control panel to allow certain things but not others). The conclusion was basically 'buy the site from me or shut up'.

Snip

That's ridiculous, simple as lol
I can understand that over time people give up on things, and stop being active, but to basically hold the site with an attitude of "buy it, or shut it" is just... well, its definitely not a community friendly approach.
All we are literally asking is for 1 guy to have admin rights so he can implement changes while Dev is away, regardless of who it is, the site needs someone (Trying to avoid song references about needing a hero-i mean er... definitely no song references...).
Ah well, all we can do is continue to post and hope for the best. Can't exactly revolt and overthrow someone who won't even read the messages lol

• Supporters

Well how much did he want for the site? Could we not fund, as a forum, a way to purchase? As long as he isn’t being extortionate, I couldn’t see why not.

32 minutes ago, Prisce said:

Well how much did he want for the site? Could we not fund, as a forum, a way to purchase? As long as he isn’t being extortionate, I couldn’t see why not.

This passed my mind while I was just out driving... I mean, it's definitely possible as long as the price is ok... feels a bit silly that this is how we have to do it, but meh, it can be done.

Archived