AEG magazine preparation and lubrication

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I had always assumed that since bbs should be kept clean and dry, mags should not be lubricated. 

According to Taiwan Gun Company all mags, including high-caps should be lubed with silicone oil before first use and at regular periods afterwards. And all mags should be stored empty.

This was news to me; as was their additional advice about loading mid and low caps. They state that low and mid-cap mags should first be oiled with silicone, then loaded with only a few bbs and then "core out" whatever that means. Next the mag should be loaded with 10 more bbs than the first time and then core out again. This should be repeated until full bb capacity has been achieved.

Does "cored out" mean shot off or emptied?

Is this normal practice? And what do they mean by oiling? Opening the tab at the top and spraying in silicone oil willy nilly?

• Supporters

I don’t know if it’s correct, but I have never oiled a AEG mag. I have with gas.

I have taken my hi-caps and mid caps apart and lubricated the springs. But only once they start feeling “off”.

I think you are right, don’t lubricate the mags as it will contaminate the BBs. 

That makes no sense even to me and I'm a noob to maintenance lol.
Oiling the spring would easily leave oil over the track of the mag and that will lead to contamination of bbs.

And "coring out" is shot out I think (Taiwan gun did make a video to accompany the midcap prep)... I ignored them though lol, just crammed as many bbs as I could into my midcap, then left them 5 mins, emptied them out, and reloaded... took a damn long time but now I never have spring issues and they are still feeding perfect :) (granted these are PTS EPM mags im talking about lol)

sounds like a load of crap to me, Not impressed with Taiwan gun, where they offer free downgrades to customers, some of their sales are shocking I have had a few customers that have bought off these had the downgrade and I have had to sort out the mess. Main springs cut and literally rattling about, bolts missing, parts broken, some which appear to be customer returns etc.. I really wouldn't pay much attention to any of their advice. Oil in AEG  mags No way. The only thing I would say if you take the spring out and spray with WD40 and wipe it clean, that wouldn't do any harm, but the price of mags who could be bothered ?

Archived