Need a hand upgrading a g&g combat machine

Andy24
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, my name is Andrew or Andy and I’m new to the forum so hello everyone.

I own a G&G CM16 R-8L that I’ve had for years and I’m looking to upgrade it a bit. Initially I am thinking inner barrel and hop unit, from there I want to put in a electronic trigger unit and eventually overhaul the entire gun (externals and all). 

I am a complete noob when it comes to internals so any recommendations for my gun, tips, tricks, etc. would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance guys 

0DF62CF8-A06B-4332-9B01-57FF0B0FC13B.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy, sorry you haven't had any replies yet but welcome to the forums!

Personally speaking, you can't beat a few basic upgrades!

A new inner barrel sounds good and a new hop unit isn't totally necessary providing you have a good air seal with the current one (you can tell if you do/don't by the fps variation through a hop unit, if say your gun fires 330fps and you get between 325-331 then your unit is fine :)

To make it shoot a little better I would first replace the motor as it's semi weak and make the move to Li-Po's if you haven't already (use 7.4v unless you know it can handle 11.1v!)

With the new motor (a high torque would be best) you will need to reshim the gearbox most likely. 

These slight upgrades are a good way to get to know your gun and save the old wallet!

A complete overhaul is fairly easy to do and there's a plethora of parts list onlie you can find, some parts work better for others than they do to some and compatibility is an issue to but guides on that have been made all over the shop :)

• Supporters

Hi Andy,

Just be aware that some upgrades will work better than others, most cost effective are the basics of better barrel, better hop rubber etc but be wary of tearing into your only gun unless there's something that it's actually lacking in (accuracy, range etc). You can very easily end up with an "upgraded" gun that is no better than it was when you started!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I’ll look into a new motor and inner barrel, it’s lacking in accuracy and range so hopefully this will help, thanks again for the advice 👍

Just to alert you mate you will pay a lot a lot extra to fully overhaul your gun than you would to buy a high end gun.

I have a cm16 just like you and I’ve just poured £150 odd into it on gearbox internals and I still have a titan mosfet on the shopping list and that’s just looking at the gearbox. Without looking at the hop and barrel or all external work I want to do.

It depends what you want, I know what I want and I’m willing to spend anything to get it but if you just want a better performing gun with nice externals you may be better just buying a high end gun.

I’d recommend going onto websites finding all the parts you want for your gun in the long run and seeing how much it will cost you will be supprised and may decide a whole new gun is a more wallet friendly option.

Fair one, I’ll add it all up, been looking at guns in the £200-£250 range so might just buy one of them if it’s more cost effective 

Archived