First gun advice

DarkPreacher
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey, 

Looking to purchase my first airsoft gun as I've been a few times and will soon be ready to get my UKARA license. I would love to try sniping as it looks very appealing and would suit my play style, though I have been advised against this as a first gun. Obviously the alternative for a new player is an AEG but i have no clue where to begin looking for one that suits my needs.

Budget for gun is ideally under 200 pounds. Any advice is gratefully received 

The search function is your friend.

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).  Have a read of all the pinned (sticky) topics in each section, start here:

The search tool is your friend, 3 character minimum length, if you make the effort to use it and read through the results.  Many topics have been covered before and there is a lot of good advice and knowledge.

Note: UKARA is not a license.

• Supporters

Welcome. 

This has been discussed to death, but I'll give you a few pointers anyway. 

If you enjoy it, play your 3 games to qualify for a defense and buy yourself a RIF and a bit of kit. You can buy an IF before then if you're 18+ and potentially save a bit of cash on renting but I'd recommend waiting. 

I'm strongly against buying a sniper as a first gun. I've seen more players quit because they bought some springer with no upgrades thinking they'll be the next novritsch and quit because they're frustrated getting outranged and outgunned by the rentals than I can count.  

No. Go with an AEG to start. I'd recommend a G&G CM16 as your first gun. Its an excellent budget starter gun. Alternatively there's those by JG and CYMA but the CM16 is the best out there for a beginner imo. 

If you need a specific answer to something have a search, there's a goldmine of information here to take advantage of. If you can't find it leave a comment here and we'll get back to you. 

• Supporters

Whatever you get, I'd budget for having it wired for LiPo, i.e. at least add a basic MOSFET, ideally thicker wiring, and switch to Deans connectors while you're at it.  Places like Gun-Fire.pl will do it for a reasonable price when you buy a gun if you're not handy with a soldering iron.

Having just converted my CYMA AEG and AEP the difference in both trigger response and ROF over Nimh is impressive, and the batteries and chargers don't even cost any more.

If you are already almost at your 3 games to get your UKARA defence, I would always recommend a G&G Combat Machine, plenty of different styles to choose from, very reliable and cheap! + leaves room in your budget for batteries, ammo, eye pro etc 

Archived