M4 compatibility for internals and externals

witchcraft58a
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Just starting to understand M4 custom builds, I'm just wondering if G&G internals (gearbox, hop unit etc.) would fit into a G&P receiver? 

Any other compatibility issues to watch out for?

Thanks!

Most bog standard V2 internals will fit in  V2 receivers. You may find that you need to shim the rear of the gearbox to the receiver to stop it tipping nose up when tightening the buffer tube screw, but that goes even on parts from the same manufacturer.

Gearbox internals can be bit more problematic.

• Supporters
On 2/18/2018 at 8:36 AM, witchcraft58a said:

Hi all,

Just starting to understand M4 custom builds, I'm just wondering if G&G internals (gearbox, hop unit etc.) would fit into a G&P receiver? 

Any other compatibility issues to watch out for?

Thanks!

Outer barrel compatibility may be more of an issue for you. G&P receivers use a tapered fitment that works with their own tapered barrels.

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

Outer barrel compatibility may be more of an issue for you. G&P receivers use a tapered fitment that works with their own tapered barrels.

Well, some of them do...

What else adds to the confusion... Oh yeah! Most AEGs use a particular thread for the barrel nut, or at least something close enough that the barrel nut will generally wind on. But there's a few manufacturers who use the same 'real steel' thread that's often used on GBBRs.

16 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

Well, some of them do...

What else adds to the confusion... Oh yeah! Most AEGs use a particular thread for the barrel nut, or at least something close enough that the barrel nut will generally wind on. But there's a few manufacturers who use the same 'real steel' thread that's often used on GBBRs.

Can confirm this, G&P's barrel nut thread would not allow the proper fitment of a nuprol MK18 rail's barrel nut (which was needed), simple fix, use the old one and sitck the rail to the barrel nut with PTFE tape to wedge it on :)

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Corky2110 said:

Can confirm this, G&P's barrel nut thread would not allow the proper fitment of a nuprol MK18 rail's barrel nut (which was needed), simple fix, use the old one and sitck the rail to the barrel nut with PTFE tape to wedge it on :)

Such a common problem that Madbull do a thread tool to correct the threads...

3 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Such a common problem that Madbull do a thread tool to correct the threads...

I would grab one if I was doing it again, however I've DIY'd it together and actually made it about 0.3" longer due to a gap, more MK18 Operator :P

(no I'm not one of those guys)

Archived