sealing hopup bucking

Creepy Panda
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hi guys,

I'm looking for a little tech tip here,

I've noticed that a lot of guys (and girls) at my local field have used ptfe tape to seal their hopup bucking to their inner barrel better,

they say this gives better air pressure down the barrel, giving a slight fps increase,

in theory this makes sense...

what i want to know is does anyone know if this works, and also if it causes any damage to the internals of the gun?

for reference (dont know if it matters) the aeg in question is a nuprol pioneer defender with stock internals, shooting between 320/330 fps with a .20g bb my field limit for an aeg is 350 with .20g

thanks in advance, Panda

• Head Moderator

Moved to the Advice & Technical Help section.

15 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

No it wont harm anything and can be beneficial if your hop and barrel mating is slightly loose. If it is already a good tight fit then I honestly wouldn't bother as the compression on the bucking already creates a good seal.

what is the benefit if it not being an airtight seal?

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Creepy Panda said:

what is the benefit if it not being an airtight seal?

If it is not a good seal then.you can get air escaping round your bucking instead of down your barrel which is where it is meant to go. By sealing it you will get a slight increase in fps and overall consistency. It is only slight though unless the gun is a complete dog and leaking badly.

1 minute ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

If it is not a good seal then.you can get air escaping round your bucking instead of down your barrel which is where it is meant to go. By sealing it you will get a slight increase in fps and overall consistency. It is only slight though unless the gun is a complete dog and leaking badly.

gun has only seen a few games, was bought new in january, had about 10k shots through it so sod all wear really, just wanted to get a little closer to that limit if i could for the extra range, any other ideas or recommendations?

Use dental floss to actually compress the hop rubber onto the barrel rather than just trying to cram some ptfe tape onto it and hoping it helps the seal. Neater, more effective and stays in place if you need to go pull the barrel and rubber out of the hop up.

A couple of extra fps won't make any difference to the range. Use decent, heavier BBs and make sure the hop can lift them effectively before shoving them down a nice, clean barrel. 0.28g BBs will be the best, most cost effective upgrade you ever make.

I'm pretty sure FPS doesn't have a huge effect on range? it's more down to the hop up?
I mean, TM guns have good range, and they are under 300fps guns...

1 minute ago, LightningCh said:

I'm pretty sure FPS doesn't have a huge effect on range? it's more down to the hop up?
I mean, TM guns have good range, and they are under 300fps guns...

see i can tweak my hop to get the bbs going like lasers, but however much hop i use, once i get past a certain range they just drop like flies

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, Creepy Panda said:

gun has only seen a few games, was bought new in january, had about 10k shots through it so sod all wear really, just wanted to get a little closer to that limit if i could for the extra range, any other ideas or recommendations?

To be honest best thing is to leave it alone until something breaks. Fps is only part of the story for range. My primary is only 315fps and will keep up with most 400fps DMRs.

Maybe change the bucking and change the inner barrel for a cheap ZCI stainless one as the nuprol uses an aluminium one that will vibrate a fair bit. 

Use heavier ammo as well 0.25 or 0.28.

Hate to say this guys but PTFE tape can have the opposite effect and create a poor seal. The inner barrel and hop up unit needs to move backward and forward freely. The spring fitted on hop ups is there for a reason. That being so that the nozzle fits just inside the hop up rubber, when at its forward most position. By fitting PTFE tape to the front of the hop unit. it restricts the movement and creates a gap between the rubber and nozzle

Just now, TARGETSZONE.CO.UK said:

Hate to say this guys but PTFE tape can have the opposite effect and create a poor seal. The inner barrel and hop up unit needs to move backward and forward freely. The spring fitted on hop ups is there for a reason. That being so that the nozzle fits just inside the hop up rubber, when at its forward most position. By fitting PTFE tape to the front of the hop unit. it restricts the movement and creates a gap between the rubber and nozzle

were only talking about sealing the bucking to the inner barrel, not sealing the whole thing solid.

unless i've read what you've written wrongly in which case please correct me

The hop and barrel don't need to move freely. They just need to be pushed firmly against the front of the gearbox. An O ring slipped over the barrel is often more effective than that pathetic little spring.

But in this case we're taking about using tape inside the hop unit so it doesn't extend outside the hop unit. Just wrapping the front of the hop where the barrel emerges would be completely pointless.

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, TARGETSZONE.CO.UK said:

Er no. 

The spring pushes it back towards the nozzle when no mag is inserted but once you insert a mag the loading nozzle of the hop unit fits into the mag and everything locks into position. The spring is just a tensioner and if all mags and parts were perfect tight tolerance matches it wouldnt even be required as no play would be needed to fit mags and mate parts.

If your barrel and hop are moving around when you fire your gun just deposit it in a bin and say a few kindly words.

and now it appears that the internet rage has started... i will make this simpler...

will me using a small amount of ptfe tape to seal my bucking down to my inner barrel:

A) give me any boost whatsoever in performance?

B ) cause any damage or excessive wear to my aeg or its components?

thank you

I am with you now, just I have had that many come into me for repair and servicing  complaining of poor FPS. Then on inspection I see SH*t loads of PTFE wrapped around the hop unit and inner barrel, you wouldn't believe. I guess the dental floss around the rubber is a good idea, but just test that your nozzle is reaching inside the lips of the Bucking before you do anything. Get the nozzle in its most forward position. Take the inner barrel out and place it over the nozzle. If you feel resistance for the last half mil then it is sealing fine, If not then you can either have a tapet plate which is worn and no longer at a 90 degree angle, hence not pushing the nozzle far enough forward, a worn nozzle or the lips on the bucking worn. To be fair so long as the bucking fits nice and snug inside the Hop Unit, its nice and rounded when you look down it then their is little to none air that can escape 

2 minutes ago, TARGETSZONE.CO.UK said:

I am with you now, just I have had that many come into me for repair and servicing  complaining of poor FPS. Then on inspection I see SH*t loads of PTFE wrapped around the hop unit and inner barrel, you wouldn't believe. I guess the dental floss around the rubber is a good idea, but just test that your nozzle is reaching inside the lips of the Bucking before you do anything. Get the nozzle in its most forward position. Take the inner barrel out and place it over the nozzle. If you feel resistance for the last half mil then it is sealing fine, If not then you can either have a tapet plate which is worn and no longer at a 90 degree angle, hence not pushing the nozzle far enough forward, a worn nozzle or the lips on the bucking worn. To be fair so long as the bucking fits nice and snug inside the Hop Unit, its nice and rounded when you look down it then their is little to none air that can escape 

this doesnt answer my question in any way...

18 minutes ago, Creepy Panda said:

and now it appears that the internet rage has started... i will make this simpler...

will me using a small amount of ptfe tape to seal my bucking down to my inner barrel:

A) give me any boost whatsoever in performance?

B ) cause any damage or excessive wear to my aeg or its components?

thank you

It won't make a whole lot of difference unless there is a much larger problem you should address first.

it's unlikely to do any damage unless you use half a roll of the stuff and then try and force things together.

2 minutes ago, Hangtight said:

It won't make a whole lot of difference unless there is a much larger problem you should address first.

it's unlikely to do any damage unless you use half a roll of the stuff and then try and force things together.

thankyou for a detailed but to the point response, i will now put my gun back together and leave it as it was when i last used it, just cleaned...

I go the other way when sealing my buckings.

Most use PTFE/Dental floss over the bucking.

I use the barrel instead as it lets me have more control over what tape is where, and how wide that sealing point is.

I use a ring of tape (selotape or film type, not insulation tape, or plumbers ptfe) to go between the hop window and the lock points. I'll put tape on something flat, Then put another layer over the top of that  Cut the width (2mm) through both layers, Cut one end and carefully lift one layer of tape off the other so I have a clean tab. I'll then take the barrel put it on the flat surface, and rotate the barrel to lift and wind the tape onto the barrel. Make sure the tape is perfectly flat, free of kinks, air bubbles ect then put 1 cut with a craft knife dead centre in the bottom groove on the barrel.

Slide on the bucking make sure it is perfect and use a pen to mark the feed lips at top dead centre. Slide the hop over the bucking but don't twist it on, You will have to use a forwards/backwards walk on method with a good amount of lube. Then check the barrel, hop and bucking are all running true (using the mark on the lips to tell you if the bucking is twisted). Fix the hop to the barrel, then degrease the nub with alcohol on a cotton bud.

If it's done right first time then it should be good for the life of the bucking. The tape isn't going to do anything under the bucking, when you come to remove it all the glue might leave a residue that''ll need to be cleaned with something like acetone or alcohol. You also won't have a hop unit that looks like the apprentice plumber has fixed it.

Archived