Long guns and CQB sites

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've never been in the military but it seems logical to me that when some soldiers are going forward to clear buildings etc. others are providing covering fire.

So although most players use shorter weapons on indoor sites, is there a place in airsoft CQB for covering fire from full sized rifles? 

Has anyone ever used a sniper rifle on a CQB site?

• Supporters

I've seen them used in fibua FROM A DISTANCE, but obviously moving in close is a no-no, unless your fps is low, ie equal to that of the regular aegs in us on site.

In airsoft barrel length makes very little difference in terms of performance so really long guns don't serve a purpose in any scenario. Some people like using longer guns in cqb though as it adds a need to use space a switch to your side arm more

• Supporters

To my mind, a "CQB" site is defined by having a single hard FPS limit, and no minimum engagement distance.  So if you want to use a bolt action <350fps to shoot folk in the face point blank, knock yourself out.  It's only slightly less daft than a pump action shotgun.

Heck, I've seen someone using a semi-auto M249 at my local site.  It's a game, play it any way that puts a smile on your face.

Covering fire for advancing groups is definitely a good idea.

Using long rifles indoors is obviously a disadvantage but still do-able.

FPS is the limiting factor and must be below 350 for CQB at most sites.

Wasn't there a sniper selling on here at some point that was 340fps or something? Think it was a VSR G Spec?

Unless I imagined it, it must have been done by some people.

1 minute ago, PopRocket123 said:

In airsoft barrel length makes very little difference in terms of performance so really long guns don't serve a purpose in any scenario. Some people like using longer guns in cqb though as it adds a need to use space a switch to your side arm more

^ this

I mean, I don't personally think it feels right to have like, a G&G Firehawk out in the woodlands lol, but it works to the same ability as the guy standing next to him with the Wild Hog 12" model. Saying that though I prefer having a proper grip so that's why it doesn't feel right to me in any situation. But it's only the same as seeing Vectors in the woods (and being outranged by them lol).

Depends on the site. Red1 chislehurst is a small mainly cqb site but there are places where a sniper can be ridiculously effective. However somewhere that is largely indoors it would probably be wasted.

35 minutes ago, LightningCh said:

Wasn't there a sniper selling on here at some point that was 340fps or something? Think it was a VSR G Spec?

Unless I imagined it, it must have been done by some people.

^ this

I mean, I don't personally think it feels right to have like, a G&G Firehawk out in the woodlands lol, but it works to the same ability as the guy standing next to him with the Wild Hog 12" model. Saying that though I prefer having a proper grip so that's why it doesn't feel right to me in any situation. But it's only the same as seeing Vectors in the woods (and being outranged by them lol).

The longest range stock gun I've ever come across is actually the G&G ARP9. I don't know what they've done to the hop on that thing but it can hop .28s out yo at least 70m. Stubby guns definitely have a place in airsoft but I agree, I prefer having a grip much further forward on the gun

Thanks for all the replies and for adding to my meagre knowledge base.

I had assumed that most UK airsoft guns functioned in the 320 fps region. And most unmodified aegs seem to perform at about 350 max. What is the normal limit for indoors? What is the limit for outdoors come to that. I know there is a UK legal limit but what sort of limits do various site impose? 

Take your point about barrel length not making much difference. It's the same with air rifles. But longer guns do give you a longer sight base.

A Tokyo Marui G spec sniper rifle only does about 280-90, and with the " silencer" removed, is pretty short. But very accurate apparently. However I do realise that springers are too slow to provide effective supporting fire. 

4 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

What is the limit for outdoors come to that

Well where i play outdoors the limits imposed are:

370fps for all assault rifles and pistols

400fps fordmr's locked to semi (MED 20 meters)

500fps for snipers (MED 20 meters)

For outdoor sites you're generally looking at 350 for automatic guns, 400 or 420 for DMR, locked to semi and generally with an MED and 500 for bolties with an MED

Archived