Two piece handguard wont fit under delta ring

Gepard
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I bought a handguard a couple weeks ago but couldn't fit it correctly. I figured I was just being daft so I left it for a while before coming back to it today.

The issue is that when I place the top part of the handguard onto the barrel nut it will only go down so far making it ride slightly higher than the rail on the upper receiver. 

When I place the bottom half onto the nut the delta ring simply won't fit over the two halves as there is a slight gap. 

20180217_113343.thumb.jpg.e4acf2e29fe3a81c01e41cc0019511bb.jpg

I removed the delta ring from the gun to see if it would fit the two pieces of the handguard together without the nut and it did. 

20180217_162449.thumb.jpg.7f7b3f350dc2b461268643c71470b676.jpg

But not with the barrel nut 

20180217_162559.thumb.jpg.0d02a2a1e45073cc866e780341a9ff6b.jpg

See the slight gap? The delta ring won't fit with the nut in place yet is needed to stop the handguard from moving about. 

I'm not sure what I can do beyond filing down the inside of the top handguard in order to get a better fit. Could prove troubling as I don't have any tools.

Any suggestions? 

• Supporters
22 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

Are you sure the handguard is meant to go on a spiked barrel nut? Could be that it's meant to fit on older TM style guns with a smooth barrel nut which had tabs to stop the handguard rotating

That could very well be it however it's not a TM branded handguard. It's this:

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-outer-barrel-ris-rail-systems-hand-guards/cyma-m4-ris-m014-carbine-handguard-black.htm#.WohWHXOnzqA

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, jcheeseright said:

welcome to the world of cheap Airsoft parts all being made to different specifications.  If it’s a cyma handguard a cyma delta ring should fit (no guarantees though!) 

When I said to myself "I fancy a rail" I never imagined it would cause such a fuss.

First I needed a new outer barrel, then a new fake gas tube, then because I'm a picky bugger I wanted a fixed front sight and now I need a new delta ring assembly. 

I could have bought a new gun with the amount of money I'm spending on this mod.

Yours looks slightly different to the linked one. The roll pin on yours is at the rear, presumably with a screw on top. That screw is some kind of tensioning device that presses down on the gas tube. Could it be that getting in the way? Also in your mock up, the barrel nut is rotated off by a few degrees which seems to explain why it doesn't go on. You say you have a gas tube so that must line things up properly once it's on the gun, right?

It's a similar story I had with my old ICS M4. It needed a whole new front end just to put new handguards on.

@xWebster I used to fix guns at Stormforce. It's a small world!

Slight derail inbound
Waaaiiit guys who play/played at Stormforce?? Here I was feeling like the only AFUK guy who plays there lol.

Back on track
The whole rebuilding the front end to put a handguard with rails on is why I bought guns with rails already on lol

didn't mean to derail the thread :D

@Gepard I had a quick Google and it seems Cyma do indeed have a weird barrel nut situation. You might be forced to modify the handguards unfortunately.

After 15-odd years of airsoft I just assume whatever parts I buy won't fit. I've had parts designed for a single model of gun that still wouldn't fit without breaking out the files :D

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

Yours looks slightly different to the linked one. The roll pin on yours is at the rear, presumably with a screw on top. That screw is some kind of tensioning device that presses down on the gas tube. Could it be that getting in the way? Also in your mock up, the barrel nut is rotated off by a few degrees which seems to explain why it doesn't go on. You say you have a gas tube so that must line things up properly once it's on the gun, right?

It's a similar story I had with my old ICS M4. It needed a whole new front end just to put new handguards on.

@xWebster I used to fix guns at Stormforce. It's a small world!

I bought this used, so I've no idea if it's missing parts but I can't see any screws on top for tension or any way to remove it. I took off the entire front end of the gun and put it together minus the nut and it all fit fine so I don't think that's the issue. 

1518887176583804279941.thumb.jpg.57012ac82f97cb0baf5574c714d977cb.jpg

That's as far down as the handguard will go onto the nut. It doesn't matter which way I twist it on. It's actually touching the metal and can't be pushed down any further. 

20180217_170848.thumb.jpg.73ac3c9d9209e7ef6f36d3436ce04c0a.jpg

I think I'll just have to buy a new delta nut assembly. 

Thanks for the pics. It's certainly designed for a nut like yours. Can you tell if the spiked part is too fat to go into the channel, or if it's binding somewhere else? Looks like the previous owner had trouble fitting it too :D

• Supporters
17 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

Thanks for the pics. It's certainly designed for a nut like yours. Can you tell if the spiked part is too fat to go into the channel, or if it's binding somewhere else? Looks like the previous owner had trouble fitting it too :D

So minus the outer barrel (because I'm too lazy to remove it) here is everything set up without the nut.

20180217_172126.thumb.jpg.e8d66d70262744d86205e95cacda7db7.jpg

As you can see it all fits just fine. 

From what I can tell the spikes are just too long to fit the handguard correctly or the part which it goes into is just too short which is annoying as I own a couple others with the 2 part drop in design which fit perfectly. 

Here it is compared to a Magpul style handguard: 

20180217_172945.thumb.jpg.8147b521489254961e524623facfb253.jpg

The Magpul one definitely has deeper slots.

• Supporters
26 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

I think you're right. On closer inspection the handguard does look quite shallow where the nut goes in :(

Ehh.. I'll just buy a new delta ring assembly. In the meantime I'll try filing down the handguard. Here's your two weeks notice before you see part 3 of my "Fitting a rail onto a G&G CM16 Mod 0" series popping up on the feed in which I'm trying to replace the nut. :lol:

Thanks for your help though. Much appreciated. :)

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

I'm not sure a new delta ring assembly will help you. The Magpul handguard is likely to be the same common spec as whatever new delta ring/barrel nut you buy, unless you can find one for that very specific handguard.

That is definitely a possibility. Still, I don't mind spending a tenner. Even if it just sits in a box labelled spares and repairs. I'll be sure to try filing down the handguard before spending anything. 

4 hours ago, LightningCh said:

Slight derail inbound
Waaaiiit guys who play/played at Stormforce?? Here I was feeling like the only AFUK guy who plays there lol

Yes mate, its the closest site to me! 

I've noticed the same, which is surprising as there seems to be hundreds of people which go every game!

It's a good site, and I'm glad it's still going strong. I was there for the beginning looking after the hire guns and watched it grow. I used to work in the trailer that's now the kitchen kludging hire guns back together :D

There were great regulars and great new people all the time. I might have to stop by one day to say hi.

• Supporters
On 2/17/2018 at 4:23 PM, jcheeseright said:

welcome to the world of cheap Airsoft parts all being made to different specifications.  If it’s a cyma handguard a cyma delta ring should fit (no guarantees though!) 

On 2/17/2018 at 4:34 PM, Gepard said:

When I said to myself "I fancy a rail" I never imagined it would cause such a fuss.

First I needed a new outer barrel, then a new fake gas tube, then because I'm a picky bugger I wanted a fixed front sight and now I need a new delta ring assembly. 

I could have bought a new gun with the amount of money I'm spending on this mod.

I bought a second hand old TM M4A1 as my first gun. I can't sell it now because I've sunk so much money into it making it how I want that I'll lose money on it however much I could sell it for. In fact the only original TM parts on it now are the gearbox shell and the buffer tube. So yeah, I feel your pain @Gepard. Just be assured by the fact that you are learning how to fettle your gun which can only be a good thing.

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Lozart said:

I bought a second hand old TM M4A1 as my first gun. I can't sell it now because I've sunk so much money into it making it how I want that I'll lose money on it however much I could sell it for. In fact the only original TM parts on it now are the gearbox shell and the buffer tube. So yeah, I feel your pain @Gepard. Just be assured by the fact that you are learning how to fettle your gun which can only be a good thing.

Oh it's not really about the money. I'm building my dream M4 which is rewarding enough. The good thing about the raider is it holds it's value pretty well so what I could do if I wanted to sell it (unlikely!) is just strip it down and put it back to the way it was. 

That way I'll still be able to keep the parts for if I choose to upgrade to something a little fancier and get my cash back on the gun without losing any money in the process.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

I got bored so I decided to file down the bottom piece. Fits like a glove now, if not very pretty..

20180228_222612.thumb.jpg.81221b880bad194fdde4238eba878c0d.jpg

• Supporters
7 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

Slap a bit of Halford mat black on it, you’ll be fine :)

You know.. That's not a bad idea. Still, the scratches are mostly covered by the delta ring anyway. 

Archived