Gas or Battery ?

SMike666
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm new to the air soft world and I'm starting to think about equipment, I'm probably going to open a can of worms but what's the best way to go "gas or electric" ?

Your new?

electric every time...

i give the following reasons;

- entry price (cheaper to get started on for the gun as well as mags)

- reliability (no worries depending on weather, it’ll just work)

- maintenance (less required from skirmish to skirmish)

- power source (you just charge all your batteries up and go, no additional consumables purchase etc)

its an an easy decision in my opinion for new players...

20 minutes ago, richmt11 said:

Your new?

electric every time...

i give the following reasons;

- entry price (cheaper to get started on for the gun as well as mags)

- reliability (no worries depending on weather, it’ll just work)

- maintenance (less required from skirmish to skirmish)

- power source (you just charge all your batteries up and go, no additional consumables purchase etc)

its an an easy decision in my opinion for new players...

Everything there is correct. Gas has a tendency to just stop working in the UK winter lol. Unless you use more powerful gas or buy a really high end gas gun. Which is just more money spent.

Stay away from gas a new player

• Supporters

Electric, especially as a first time buyer. 

There's nothing to say you can't buy gas of course but Electric is much cheaper and easier to maintain. 

One gas mag usually equates to 4 or 5 AEG mags. 

For me it's gas all the way, they are also simple to work on, yes they do have there downfalls like not being perfect in the winter and are not as cost effective to run, but im not a lover of AEG's to be totally honest. 

Dont get me wrong AEG's are very good for all the reasons stated above, they are just not my cup of tea that's all. :)

I shoot all types of guns from RS to airsoft and airguns but I don't not own a AEG, obviously I  owned them years ago but they never stayed in my collection long  and have tried them since, but they are just not for me. 

To open up a can of warms but I feel its good to hear both sides :) The reason I don't like them is sound and the is lack of realism, reminds me too much of star wars and sewing machines lol. The TM recoils are ok, great in some ways but still I'd rather a GBB. 

Be greedy and get both mate lol. 

ATB Marc 

People are giving the wrong impression of a gas gun to a new player, there are a LOT of crap gas rifles out there granted.

But the good ones are really good.

Also the majority of gas pistols work well all the time and even a quality TM pistol isn't expensive.

They are on the whole very enjoyable and fun to play with, that's generally the reason for playing airsoft... having fun!

As a first time / new player I agree start out with electric / AEG ;)

A new player will have an easier time with an aeg. Best thing to do is buy an ICS sport line and run that until you try new things and get a feel for your play style. 

Its a real shame that people who buy sh*t gas guns or just don’t understand them condemn them all. I run all gas guns all year and at no point do I have issues. I put gas and bb’s in the mag and I play like everyone else. Only difference is I’ve got a massive smile on my face all day. 

4 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

A new player will have an easier time with an aeg. Best thing to do is buy an ICS sport line and run that until you try new things and get a feel for your play style. 

Its a real shame that people who buy sh*t gas guns or just don’t understand them condemn them all. I run all gas guns all year and at no point do I have issues. I put gas and bb’s in the mag and I play like everyone else. Only difference is I’ve got a massive smile on my face all day. 

Totally agree :) I use gas guns all year round too. As I say give me a gas gun over a AEG any time.. 

39 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

People are giving the wrong impression of a gas gun to a new player, there are a LOT of crap gas rifles out there granted.

But the good ones are really good.

Also the majority of gas pistols work well all the time and even a quality TM pistol isn't expensive.

They are on the whole very enjoyable and fun to play with, that's generally the reason for playing airsoft... having fun!

As a first time / new player I agree start out with electric / AEG ;)

I think everyone just assumes the new guy has low budget so would be looking at the cheaper end of GBB which is why everyone just says "no its bad, go AEG" lol 

If you have the budget yeah gas is fun (I'd still personally rather save for a good HPA over GBBR), but personal opinions on that.

45 minutes ago, Marc.RG1 said:

To open up a can of warms but I feel its good to hear both sides :) The reason I don't like them is sound and the is lack of realism, reminds me too much of star wars and sewing machines lol. The TM recoils are ok, great in some ways but still I'd rather a GBB. 

You know I have my TM GBB pistol lol, you know the hassle I've had with the mags :D

I like AEGs for the simplicity and low cost and low maintenance. Realism would be nice but it's a give and take situation really.

3 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

Mind saying what gun it is? Every gas gun I have seen was indoors only, (other than pistols, but even then owners were always complaining about gas efficiency problems)
I have my Hi Capa and I'm yet to skirmish it so I can't really say, just curiosity really.

Also in my experience stores also tend to put newcomers off gas guns because they struggle in the cold, and the maintenance is high? 

So much info out there and so much of it conflicts with another in airsoft lol

35 minutes ago, LightningCh said:

You know I have my TM GBB pistol lol, you know the hassle I've had with the mags :D

Mags, especially TM Ines really shouldn't ever be a problem, if it is it's usually a random lemon.

35 minutes ago, LightningCh said:

Mind saying what gun it is?

I'm not going to say, but I can guess it'll be one of two hahaha!

Lmao, you know me too well. I almost feel like a dick for keep preaching about it. 

List of gas guns I have used without issue all year around:

TM mws

TM mp7

WE Scar H

WE g36c

ghk’s m4 and AK are also decent in the cold but I didn’t keep them long enough to give a proper opinion. That’s just the rifles. 

Any TM pistol will serve you well. I also really like the VFC FNX45

Wow see, Multiple stores steer newbies away from WE gas rifles maybe it's more of a reputation issue? saying that, they make faithful pistols... More conflicts lol. (TM pistols are fine as everyone says, just i seem to pick up all the lemons in the batches when it comes to mags lol)

TM gas is high end gas so I would hope it works all year round tbh lol.

But yeah, seems to me that gas isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Although still not enough to convince me to have bought one over an aeg as my first gun lol.

Some of them aren’t very good at all. I’ve had out of WE’s GBBR’s:

svd -amazing kick, horrendously inconsistent 100+ FPS difference per shot 

416c -couldn’t finish a mag unless the temp was warm. Full auto was pointless. 

Mp5a2 -absolutely beautiful gun. Probably one of WE’s nicest externally. Decent performance but struggled to empty 45round mags unless shot slowly. 

M14 Ebr -monstrously heavy, needs RA tech trigger, shoots really nicely. 

Scar H- my favourite. Awesome noise, good kick, nice externals and one of their more gas efficient. 

G36c -their cheapest and arguably best. If you need a cheap gbbr and you’re not willing to pay that bit extra for the G5 (which is a better gun), this is a solid choice. Good kick and Easy to work on. 

One thing i will say for any WE gun is to change the barrel and bucking to a crazy jet and a maple leaf 60-70 autobot. Will extend the range and accuracy massively. 

1 minute ago, Wo1f said:

Some of them aren’t very good at all. I’ve had out of WE’s GBBR’s:

svd -amazing kick, horrendously inconsistent 100+ FPS difference per shot 

416c -couldn’t finish a mag unless the temp was warm. Full auto was pointless. 

Mp5a2 -absolutely beautiful gun. Probably one of WE’s nicest externally. Decent performance but struggled to empty 45round mags unless shot slowly. 

M14 Ebr -monstrously heavy, needs RA tech trigger, shoots really nicely. 

Scar H- my favourite. Awesome noise, good kick, nice externals and one of their more gas efficient. 

G36c -their cheapest and arguably best. If you need a cheap gbbr and you’re not willing to pay that bit extra for the G5 (which is a better gun), this is a solid choice. Good kick and Easy to work on. 

One thing i will say for any WE gun is to change the barrel and bucking to a crazy jet and a maple leaf 60-70 autobot. Will extend the range and accuracy massively. 

If I ever decide to get a GBBR (probably will, im an airsofter just like the rest, sink money into anything and everything lol) I'll keep this in mind :)

Been using my scar l gbbr on red gas the last few days, just works better all round, even put the red gas in the WE XDM compact as that gun hates the cold weather, that fired OK too.. Red gas in one of my custom built hi-capas worked great, to be honest that always works great anyway but as I was testing the red gas in others I thought it would be rude not to try red gas in my limcat custom, worked really well I think I'll only be running it on red gas in the winter from now on, lol well until I get my hands on some guarder power up black gas, I think my limcat custom built hi-capa is about the only gun I'm willing to use with the guarder power up gas.. 

So yeah good old gas guns couldn't live without them. Lol :)

Happy shooting all. 

ATB Marc 

9 hours ago, proffrink said:

Well, if you tap the mag or buy a Daytona Kit, that is. GBBRs are not frequently a good choice over proper HPA in the UK these days (exceptions being perhaps GHK and the TM MWS)

The Tippmann M4 is a sound choice for HPA too, once you sort out the TDC hop mod.

The main dealer support is second to none, and the platform itself is so simple and effective.

• Root Admin
52 minutes ago, Marc.RG1 said:

Been using my scar l gbbr on red gas the last few days, just works better all round, even put the red gas in the WE XDM compact as that gun hates the cold weather, that fired OK too.. Red gas in one of my custom built hi-capas worked great, to be honest that always works great anyway but as I was testing the red gas in others I thought it would be rude not to try red gas in my limcat custom, worked really well I think I'll only be running it on red gas in the winter from now on, lol well until I get my hands on some guarder power up black gas, I think my limcat custom built hi-capa is about the only gun I'm willing to use with the guarder power up gas.. 

So yeah good old gas guns couldn't live without them. Lol :)

Fyi, 'red gas' isn't the correct term - it's just more pressurised green gas and in fact the original brands like Guarder always provided it in a black can. 'Red gas' is actually what airsofters of old used to use to refer to some high-pressure refrigerants. Few are used today.

I can understand why - given the red can for Nuprol. Probably makes more sense that it's switching over at this point, but not all 'red gasses' come in red cans (just like not all green gasses do I suppose). In fact I've always used Guarder Power Up just like you as it's cheaper than Nuprol 4.0 (if you know where to look) and just as compressed. It was even called 'black gas' up until about 5 years ago.

One can get results from a GBBR in the winter in the UK, but they're never going to be a consistent as HPA. If you want repeatable accuracy then an HPA tap or an HPA gun is simply a must these days. Any change in muzzle velocity is going to require hop re-tuning.

I like how we are all talking about high end gas and HPA and all that, when @SMike666 hasn't stated a budget so for all we know he may only have £100 in the bank lol.

I was avoiding mentioning HPA purely because not everyone likes the tank aspect

"But Lightning, there are mods that put the tanks in the stock"
More money spent though. 

I know that if I had the budget, I'd buy a HPA gun. The only reason why I didn't buy one straight away is because I was unsure about carrying the tank and the hose and stuff (was unaware of the versions where gas goes in the stock).
But having tried and seen HPA now I know I want it lol.

15 minutes ago, LightningCh said:

I like how we are all talking about high end gas and HPA and all that, when @SMike666 hasn't stated a budget so for all we know he may only have £100 in the bank lol.

I was avoiding mentioning HPA purely because not everyone likes the tank aspect

"But Lightning, there are mods that put the tanks in the stock"
More money spent though. 

I know that if I had the budget, I'd buy a HPA gun. The only reason why I didn't buy one straight away is because I was unsure about carrying the tank and the hose and stuff (was unaware of the versions where gas goes in the stock).
But having tried and seen HPA now I know I want it lol.

Definitely great going down the HPA route.

The remote reservoir/tank and line isn’t even really that noticeable once your out and playing, if you have a set-up with a slide check valve then once back at the safe zone it’s just a quick disconnect of the gun from the line.

using a sling makes it really no different from any other set up I find, and a hydration backpack makes a great cylinder carrier.

...go on you know you want to! 

1 minute ago, Sako said:

Definitely great going down the HPA route.

The remote reservoir/tank and line isn’t even really that noticeable once your out and playing, if you have a set-up with a slide check valve then once back at the safe zone it’s just a quick disconnect of the gun from the line.

using a sling makes it really no different from any other set up I find, and a hydration backpack makes a great cylinder carrier.

...go on you know you want to! 

Eh, I would need to buy a new rig and stuff to accommodate it lol.

I'll stick to AEGs and a sniper for now, and move to HPA when I actually have money and a place to store everything lol.

Just now, LightningCh said:

Eh, I would need to buy a new rig and stuff to accommodate it lol.

I'll stick to AEGs and a sniper for now, and move to HPA when I actually have money and a place to store everything lol.

Probably the main issue with HPA I think is the cost, even a basic starter ‘kit’ (gun, cylinder & line) is going to set you back £500, which can often be difficult to justify when well performing AEG’s can be had for around half as much...

...though the fun is also half as much!! 

Archived