Has Anybody Experienced Theft on Sites?

Ex-Rnuw
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Has anyone experienced this? I've been looking at some gear on various websites, and a lot of it is Gucci stuff! Especially the claymore mine, but what are the chances of coming back to find it where you left it, before some scrote decides "I'm having this :ph34r:"?

41 minutes ago, Ex-Rnuw said:

Has anyone experienced this? I've been looking at some gear on various websites, and a lot of it is Gucci stuff! Especially the claymore mine, but what are the chances of coming back to find it where you left it, before some scrote decides "I'm having this :ph34r:"?

I have never personally seen this sort of action. Although there has been cases of "where has my bb bag gone?" but I never really know what the outcome is as I'm trying to get back to gameplay lol.

• Supporters

Kleptos gotta klept, but you're playing a trust based game with people who know the value of what they've paid for.

It's not something that really bothers me, although I have been careful to take pictures of the serial numbers on my BFGs, but more to avoid confusion since there's at least 3 folk at my CQB site lobbing orange tri-shot TRMRs around. ;)

• Mostly Retired Moderators

There was a case of theft at one of the Dorking games last year. Ruined the whole day.

During lunch one kid had his GBB pistol nicked from beside his rifle bag.

Just so happens they shared a bench/table/area with a load of (extremely) chavvy rentals.

By sheer coincidence there was an off duty copper playing that day and there was bag searches and told no one was playing til it had been found.

Well, someone spotted one of the chavs lobbing it under their car on the way to the bogs and told the copper and they got banned permanently.

Totally ruined the day though. A 30 minute lunch break became nearer an hour and a half and no one could be f*cked to get back to it then. Plus knowing that someone there could try and betray people's trust like that is depressing.

I always keep any bags or cases padlocked now when I'm in the game zone.

42 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

Snip

Just so happens they shared a bench/table/area with a load of (extremely) chavvy rentals.

Snip

I always keep any bags or cases padlocked now when I'm in the game zone.

That is why i always stick to the regulars, even when I was a renter myself but carrying my own mags and eyepro. I would never steal something regardless of if i was a renter or regular, but god damn,  i always make sure the guys have their own kit before i set up next to them lol

And yup, I do this as well. As well as everyone around me. You secure your valuables when you leave the house, so why leave them in the open at the safe zone? (Other than ease of access, but that goes to everyone then)

Yep, that story is exactly the kind of scenario I'd be wary of.

I don't lock my bags but keep em closed with nothing visible at least.

Might get a couple of cheap locks...

• Supporters

Was an incident a few yrs ago at Dragon valley were a couple of BFGs went missing and after a bag search they were found in the possession of a gentleman of Eastern European origin who said “he thought they were ‘disposable’ hence he picked them up , when he was reminded about the “do not touch BFGs that don’t belong too you” in the safety brief he suddenly had difficulty understanding English (even though most of the day he’d been seen and heard speaking better English than a lot of players there !) needles to say he was banned sharpish , still shouting his innocence !  

If anyone robs from me or anyone I know you'd best make sure you get away before I find out who you are. The only thing I detest more than molestors and rapists are thieves. I abore violence except when deemed necessary and the above fall under that category. 

On my local site there are a few folk who are permanently in the safe zone - guy who runs the shop, and a few partners from guys that are playing. They tend to keep an eye on things and I'm sure would report/get folk told if someone is up to no good. I've never heard of any problems like that at the site though. 

When at another site I'm a bit more cautious and do pack my stuff away when I'm done. If people can't see what they want to steal easily, they are less likely to steal it. I do have identifying pictures of all my kit that has value... so if there are any problems I can prove what is mine. 

• Supporters
18 hours ago, Arwen said:

I do have identifying pictures of all my kit that has value... so if there are any problems I can prove what is mine. 

Ditto.  It takes seconds to do, and it's better to have it and not need it than to be left in a your-word-against-Dindu's situation.  Anyone minded to steal is going to have no qualms about lying to cover it up.

I never take just one, or two, or even three guns when I go skirmishing. I normally take a whole armoury with me, different guns depending on what mood Im in, backups for me and any mates guns who might fail during the day etc. This leaves a lot of expensive guns lying around the safezone. 

I never really thought of it before but now its concerning me :ph34r: I may well have to get a lockable pelicase now... 

This might make me sound paranoid, but hey...

When I first started airsoft a few years ago I normally went on my jack, I went to a site that I'd never been to before, so didn't know the layout or the people.

Needless to say, I wanted to make sure I was fully prepared to keep my very expensive AEG's (at the time) & gear secure in the safezone, so I went down to screwfix and bought one of those heavy duty motorcycle loops, along with some Abus combination locks, I tie my rifle case & bags to the leg of the table & use the Abus locks on all my rifle cases & bags so there isn't a single bag left that someone can peep into... Being tied to the leg of the bench makes absolutely sure no one can go walkies with it, as a padlocked bag/ case brings suspicion that there is something definitely valuable inside.

It is unheard of on the sites I play at, but it does happen, and I don't want to fall victim to it.

I do get quite alot of funny looks from the regulars when I pull out this massive bike loop and loop it round all my gear, but hey, I'm not taking any risks.

If there is something that I don't need out, i.e. a backup gun, then I keep it locked in the boot of my car out of view (probably not ideal as the carpark is less watched).

1 hour ago, Chris_B said:

Snip

If there is something that I don't need out, i.e. a backup gun, then I keep it locked in the boot of my car out of view (probably not ideal as the carpark is less watched).

I store my backup under the bench, padlocked in the case, not quite as secure as you lol and it's a nurpol carry case so plastic built. 

BUT I always take a photo of my gear before I leave the safezone, purely so I know if it's been moved/opened/taken etc. Would rather be safe than sorry!

And when it comes to gear out on the field (like claymores as mentioned in the OP)
I wouldn;'t trust it lol, Would 100% be sitting with it very close by so I hear it go off and immediately run to it XD

• Moderators

never experienced it or heard of anything...

personally i only take what i need into the game zone and leave everything else in the car, go back if i need anything. Luckily the sites i play you can do that but i know there are some you cant or its difficult to

Not seen/heard of anything myself but it's something that I do worry about.

That said, myself and the group that I go with nonchalantly leave our stuff on the table and nothing has gone missing. Yet.

• Supporters

Main reason I use an absolutely mahoosive eagle bag for my kit can get absolutely every thing in it with room to spare so I know when I go off to shoot my white load I can secure all my kit !

46 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Main reason I use an absolutely mahoosive eagle bag for my kit can get absolutely every thing in it with room to spare so I know when I go off to shoot my white load I can secure all my kit !

Would you have a link by any chance? Or maybe a pic? tia :D

• Supporters
2 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

Would you have a link by any chance? Or maybe a pic? tia :D

Just discovered it’s actually been discontinued by Eagle but there still out there for sale if you look hard enough  , mines in MC and has to be at least 10yr old but looking at it you’d never think so .

Yes that is a soft M4 gunbag in the side pocket ! when I said it was mahoosive I meant it ! :o

45ADF48F-423A-44EB-823A-8EF7DF7AF126.jpeg

I’ve been in Paintball since 2006, organising events since 2008 and around airsoft since around 2013/14

We’ve been using desirable props & equipment in events since at least 2011

In that time I’ve mostly not been too concerned about theft on site, woodland safe zones tend to have staff around and people coming and going as they respawn.  Generally my items not in use are in a gear bag or case underneath the bench, and some items left on the table.  A case of paintballs is typically on top of the bench. 

There was once a scare with regard to a missing gun, but this turned out to be teammates attempting to teach a spoilt brat a lesson for leaving his valuables unattended.  They found a £1000 spare gun left out and put it safely in their van.  He failed to learn the lesson, just that his dad will buy him another

One year we hired in extra mines for an event which we buried, and marked with both gps co-ordinates and photos in situ.  Updating as we retrieved and repositioned them.  

At the end of the event quite a lot were missing.

One problem with the hired ones was that we didn’t have our numbered markings so we didn’t necessarily know which ones had been retrieved. There was some suspicion that some had gone with sticky fingers.

But with some hunting in the next week and the following Saturday afternoon with a metal detector the majority were retrieved - and took some digging out in a couple of cases

Over the coming months more would be found by staff

I don’t think we’ve had anything disappear since, we have had things lost in the woods a few times such as an addidas bag of cocaine which went missing at a February event and wasn’t seen again until the beaters at the farmers pheasant shoot found it in the undergrowth - which would make it October onwards.  (They were spotted by the farmer discussing whether to hand it in or sample the goods - I’ve no idea what the effects of snorting flour after 8 or more months in the woods would be).

In our Battle Royale format we send people our unarmed to use our planted weapons which makes finding them difficult between games sometimes even though we only do that in limited areas.  Only one item has disappeared at the end which was a slingshot and we believe it was dropped after packing up and carrying everything out of the zone. A radio or two have been lost, but have been suspected to be mixed up between ours and site ones where we have had the same models

We did have a sleeping bag go missing for 24 hours at an event in sennybridge. Everyone had been warned about the welsh weather and that players would be camping in breeze block buildings in extreme low temperatures and to be prepared.  Not everyone heeded the warnings and some people suffered

Due to the distance between parking and the game areas a van transported gear whilst players walked. This meant your equipment and camping gear was stacked in the main square to be collected, the sleeping gear was left until the end of the day

One of our arctic sleeping bags disappered, and we had to accommodate our teammate with the extra blankets we brought.  An announcement was put out the next morning and it reappeared.

A while later one of our guys was mistakenly included in a conversation where a team confessed to the ‘amusing tale’ that they had been unprepared and pilfered someone’s sleeping bag.  He kept quiet and we ensured revenge at every opportunity 

There is a level of honesty in people, if most are in the same boat and people are around in public then there is an unwritten convention that theft doesn’t happen. 

But there is self responsibility - you don’t leave your wallet open on the table, and if you put things in your bag then they can’t be just picked up in passing 

• Supporters

Typically I'll bring only what I need for the day and keep it on my person at all times. Aside from a rucksack to store clean clothes and my gun case there really isn't much for somebody to nick. 

There's usually a couple staff around the safe area anyway keeping an eye on things and I've never known anybody having something stolen at either of the sites I usually play at. 

edit: Actually now that I think about it I have had an M4 mag go missing during a break. Wasn't much I could do about it with 60 other players, half of which were rocking the same style. Now I put a bit of tippex on the bottom so I can tell mine from others. 

• Supporters

Double post

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Duff said:

Holy crap you could live in that!? :blink:

:D yup you could but at the end of the day if I’m absolutely cream crackered I can just chuck every thing in it and just sling it in the back of the car ! ^_^

All my mags are Numbered so I can remember which one is which incase of any problems and they all have my call sign on them . also due to a lot of players having the same or similar kit I put a particular mark on ALL my kit that only my best mate and my self know about  , not saying it’s been nicked on purpose just Incase it gets picked up in error I have definitive proof it’s mine . 

• Supporters

closest call i've had was one of the marshals took my bb/water rucksack back to the safe zone in order to prevent it getting nicked.

normally everything is in the car unless i'm wearing it, tbh i'm as likely to lose it on the field anyway (although been pretty lucky so far) so apart from the aeg's i don't run expensive gear.

Archived