Ssg24 vs silverback srs help

nickolay
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all :)

Me and about 5 of my mates going to start playing airsoft. I already played once with my two tone cheap sniper rifle (was silly to buy it) at billericay and really enjoyed it.

When I get my ukara licence, I'm going to get different rifle but at the moment I got a problem to choose which one of them is better rifle. I've never done anything to my rifle but I've seen few videos and it doesn't look difficult to upgrade them. 

I've seen loads of videos on both of them and can't make my mind up. I think srs would be a lot more expensive I guess if I want to change things in it? 

Plz give me your opinions. Much appreciated 

• Supporters

Neither require any work out of the box to perform well. However the SSG doesn’t have any further upgrades currently. Whereas the SRS does.

The SSG fires roughly 85m accurately, whereas the SRS upgraded can fire over the 100M mark.

You can buy a “upgraded” SRS from Skirmshop/longbow for around £700( incl mags etc to get you going-22”). The SSG is around £450 from Nov, but taxes getting it into the UK are around £120, this is not including mags and accessories etc 

I have visited longbow site but everything there is out of stock tho.

Wow 700?? That's a bit expensive. But I know on srs needs better hop up and inner barrel oh and there is a new upgrade so u can cork it much smoother now. And I need left handed rifle too.

Btw prisce about 4 years ago I joined this forum and u were helping me to choose my gun. If u go to my msgs you will see. I'm glad you still here. I will be playing hopefully at dragons layer. So I might see you there??

• Supporters

Yeah, take a look at Skirmshop UK there are a couple of codes that give you 5% off. I think there is AFUK5 and sneaky5.

Yeah my team mate got the 22” with PDI inner barrel, poison Apple bucking r hop set up etc etc and 3 mags. I believe we have the guys who work for skirmshop on the forums so they may be able to help you more. His came to £702 to be exact. I don’t think there is a price premium for changing to left hand bolt.

Ha, long time ago, my memory isn’t that good! Possibly, if you ever get a chance, come over to Airsoft Plantation in Ingatestone, let us know your coming and we shall meet up, you can try out my SSG and my team mate will probably let you have a go with his SRS if you are interested.(plus an array of other weapons)

• Supporters

I have tried both, I prefer the style and way the SSG works, but I prefer the performance on the SRS. The post code for the site is CM4 9RH, I travel around 90 mins to get there and it’s by far the best site I have been to for consistency and variety.

Ok I see I will deff going to try them both before I make my mind up. Yeah my first game was in billericay which is really close to the one you talking about. But I need to do 3 games first in dragons den and then I will come there with my mates and try your guns out! :D

• Supporters

Oh god here is this question again SSG24 vs SRS.

Mate TBH your gonna get both sides fighting this war until the end of time with both backing their own version as to why this is better or that is better. Each side is essentially justifying why they paid for their's really, TBH the reviews and such are skewed, heck even these so called expert Youtube reviewers are gonna be skewed as well regardless of if its Novritsch, Sniper Buddy Fabi, Kicking Mustang, that Canadian sniper dude, Airsoftology (who only ever sees the positive in anything cos he needs ya money) or whoever always has an agenda.

People will hate the SSG24 because its Novritsch's, i bet you any money that if they were given a chances like he was they would take it, Kicking Mustang's KM SRS Special anyone? I'm sure he would do it at the drop of a hat.

Unless we have someone who gets 1 SSG24 and 2 SRS guns (one out of the box and the other fully upgraded), without knowing the cost of either, does not know who Novritsch is and does a side by side comparison test of each gun in a gun cradle with the same aiming point, at the same ranges with the same BBs and the same (or close) FPS by joule energy without bias we will never truly know which is better. Until someone does that i will take each persons personal view/opinion as that opinion.

I have never played or owned an SRS and probably will never own one (cant justify cost with so many guns already) but i have heard good things about it.

Here is my word of advice, choose one, be happy with it, tinker with it be happy with it even more.

Although some facts about the SSG24, the waiting times are more like 2 to 3 months not 6 to 8, as for customs, Modify seem to be deliberately undervaluing the SSG24 so that the new owners dont pay too much in customs, so far the average seems to be around £80 to 90 mark.

For reference on mine:

Ordered 01 February 17, was told due End of April 2017

Received news in March 2017 that he discovered a flaw with the mags and would have them fixed by the time i get mine but this would push delivery to End of May 2017

End of May 2017 i receive my SSG24 with M150 spring in it, no mag issues at all.

What i ordered:

SSG24 with M150 spring in it

4 extra mags = 5 in total as rifle comes with one

4 extra bottles of .40g Nov BBs = 4 bottles of .40g BBs + 1 x .46g BBs

1 x M140 Spring (got this just in case)

Totalled to about $800 or so i think, i only paid £81 in customs which is probably half of what i should have paid, i was expecting £160 in customs and duties.

Output energy:

Using .20g BBs on M150 with no hop 480FPS

Using .20g BBs on M150 with half hop 498FPS

Using .20g BBs on M150 with full hop 460FPS

I think Skirmish Airsoft Billericay have a max 450FPS with a MED of 30 metres for bolties, Dragons Lair have 500FPS with a MED of 15 metres for bolties hence why at Billericay i only play as assault at their site using my HPA M4.

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, i am happy with it and never had to tinker with it.

• Supporters
21 hours ago, nickolay said:

I've never done anything to my rifle but I've seen few videos and it doesn't look difficult to upgrade them. 

Lol.

I've worked as an airsoft mechanic (aegs) for a couple of years, yet when it came to upgrading my own sniper rifle I paid someone else to do it properly. Of course I could upgrade it myself on an OK level but doing it right is an art and requires huge expertise.

On 2/15/2018 at 10:21 AM, Shizbazki said:

Oh god here is this question again SSG24 vs SRS.

MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, i am happy with it and never had to tinker with it.

That is for your input, the thing is I asked the guy from skirmish shop how much would it cost me for srs 22" full upgraded, he said 650-750 and I might get discount thanks to this site. Now that is similar I think to what I would pay for ssg24 but the only thing is I have to wait for about 3 month which is a long time. It's ok if you have different guns you can play with. 

And the other thing is I will get guarantee with srs in case something will go wrong. So I'm like 70/30 towards srs at the moment. :wacko:

On 2/15/2018 at 10:58 AM, Shizbazki said:

Or be super different and get an Ares WA 2000 (if you can find them).

It looks really good. I found one here https://www.specialairsoftsupplies.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=79_82&product_id=1238

Can you upgrade it to 500 fps? And the only thing I don't like is the front bb's loader but I've seen online people done conversions to a normal load.

• Supporters

You may have found a listing for a WA2000, but its gonna be out of stock.

Yes it can be pushed to 500FPS as it accepts mostly VSR parts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2018 at 4:20 PM, nickolay said:

It looks really good. I found one here https://www.specialairsoftsupplies.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=79_82&product_id=1238

Can you upgrade it to 500 fps? And the only thing I don't like is the front bb's loader but I've seen online people done conversions to a normal load.

Special Airsoft Supplies are crooks. Nothing they have on the website is in stock. Just search for their name in google. 

• Supporters

I don’t know mate, but my brother has just purchased an SRS.

I believe we are planning on going to Battle Lakes on the 18th next.

• Supporters

He loves it, his is stock so has the same performance as my SSG, about equal range and accuracy, his is a tad noisier than mine, but he can modify it to be quieter and better performance whereas I can’t.

The bullpup design takes some getting used to, and the spring noise close to your head is annoying, I was told by someone on here I think that if you add a little grease to the spring it kills the noise.

2 hours ago, Prisce said:

He loves it, his is stock so has the same performance as my SSG, about equal range and accuracy, his is a tad noisier than mine, but he can modify it to be quieter and better performance whereas I can’t.

The bullpup design takes some getting used to, and the spring noise close to your head is annoying, I was told by someone on here I think that if you add a little grease to the spring it kills the noise.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. They made another mod for this, there is a video on YouTube "srs bolt comparison pull vs push" he can upgrade it to the one you have. 

Btw I found a site from Asia where you can buy srs for a lot cheaper but you just have to wait for longer. Www.ehobbyasia.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporters

I can add a bit more to this discussion now.

I have the SSG.

My brother a Stock SRS.

My team mate a Fully upgraded SRS.

My SSG hits an A4 size target at 85M in almost no wind 4/5. Any further and it’s luck of the draw. Drops dead at 95-97M

The stock SRS gets to 85M 5/5, 95M in same conditions 4/5 shots. Drops off at around 102-3M.

The upgraded SRS gets to 85M 5/5, 95M 5/5, 105M 4/5 shots. Drops off at around 110m.

The SSG requires very little knowledge to set up and get right.

The SRS requires a bit of work to set the hop, the 2 screw make it easier to do mid game, but does get easier with practice. It’s a little noisy when stock, but a few little mods can be done to make it quieter. Also the o ring in the feed reservoir means that if you come back into the safe zone and have only shot 1 round out you’ll have 3 left in the chamber. An easy fix, just remove the o ring, but you’ll lose 4 bbs every time you remove a mag. Or just be aware of it.

There are multiple upgrades for the SRS, but very little for the SSG. Most of the mods for the SSG are cosmetic.

Like I will always say, if you wanna try any of them, give us a shout, we usually go down to Airsoft Plantation in Ingatestone, or some of the surrounding sites.

• 2 months later...
On 3/2/2018 at 6:44 PM, Prisce said:

Don't know what happened to that post but I can't see what I've wrote.

I've finally played my first game with 5 of my mates and we loved it at dragons lair. There was few guys with srs and 1 guy with ssg but I chickened out to ask them because I've asked 1 guy if I can try to shoot it when we was about to start playing our first game and he said no :(

I really like them stats on srs and I think I will be going for 22" lefty one as there is 1 selling at longbow shop for 550.

once we will do 3 games at this site we will definitely come to the plantation site!!! 

On 3/26/2018 at 12:59 PM, Prisce said:

I can add a bit more to this discussion now.

I have the SSG.

My brother a Stock SRS.

My team mate a Fully upgraded SRS.

My SSG hits an A4 size target at 85M in almost no wind 4/5. Any further and it’s luck of the draw. Drops dead at 95-97M

The stock SRS gets to 85M 5/5, 95M in same conditions 4/5 shots. Drops off at around 102-3M.

The upgraded SRS gets to 85M 5/5, 95M 5/5, 105M 4/5 shots. Drops off at around 110m.

The SSG requires very little knowledge to set up and get right.

The SRS requires a bit of work to set the hop, the 2 screw make it easier to do mid game, but does get easier with practice. It’s a little noisy when stock, but a few little mods can be done to make it quieter. Also the o ring in the feed reservoir means that if you come back into the safe zone and have only shot 1 round out you’ll have 3 left in the chamber. An easy fix, just remove the o ring, but you’ll lose 4 bbs every time you remove a mag. Or just be aware of it.

There are multiple upgrades for the SRS, but very little for the SSG. Most of the mods for the SSG are cosmetic.

Like I will always say, if you wanna try any of them, give us a shout, we usually go down to Airsoft Plantation in Ingatestone, or some of the surrounding sites.

Good assessment, thanks for that!

In all honesty I will probably, eventually, end up with both because I do like the different styles of both but I would like to pick the overall best one for me first while I take my time and slowly put money aside for the other.

Can you comment on the price difference between the stock SSG, and the fully upgraded SRS?

Are there any real cons to the SRS in general? Niggling issues?

Build quality?

Cheers!

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Seven said:

Good assessment, thanks for that!

In all honesty I will probably, eventually, end up with both because I do like the different styles of both but I would like to pick the overall best one for me first while I take my time and slowly put money aside for the other.

Can you comment on the price difference between the stock SSG, and the fully upgraded SRS?

Are there any real cons to the SRS in general? Niggling issues?

Build quality?

Cheers!

I prefer the M24 style bolty, works better for my long gangly arms.

Price difference? I believe the SSG is now cheaper than I paid for it, due to the decrease in added taxes. The SRS stock isn’t too bad, roughly £450, it’s the mods that cost, and the labour of you get someone else to do it. Oh and the list of after market parts for both is ludicrous!

Only niggling issues with the SRS are easily fixable. I don’t like the position of the bolt, my hands just don’t find it comfy, and because of this I would recommend trying one before you buy!

The “O Ring mod” is another easy to do fix that saves you trouble, remove the o ring from the feed tube, otherwise when you take a mag out, up to 4 BBs will still be chambered, which if you know about isn’t an issue, but others may not, and if they try dry firing in a safe zone..... uh oh.

The last niggle is the noise spring right next to your ear, again, easy fix, just heat shrink the spring guide/grease the spring.

The SRS is built properly, very solid and it definitely doesn’t feel like it will break, but it’s heavier than the SSG.

The SSG feels solid, but it’s so light.

If your anywhere near Herts, you could always meet me at a game and you can try both.

8 hours ago, Prisce said:

I prefer the M24 style bolty, works better for my long gangly arms.

Price difference? I believe the SSG is now cheaper than I paid for it, due to the decrease in added taxes. The SRS stock isn’t too bad, roughly £450, it’s the mods that cost, and the labour of you get someone else to do it. Oh and the list of after market parts for both is ludicrous!

Only niggling issues with the SRS are easily fixable. I don’t like the position of the bolt, my hands just don’t find it comfy, and because of this I would recommend trying one before you buy!

The “O Ring mod” is another easy to do fix that saves you trouble, remove the o ring from the feed tube, otherwise when you take a mag out, up to 4 BBs will still be chambered, which if you know about isn’t an issue, but others may not, and if they try dry firing in a safe zone..... uh oh.

The last niggle is the noise spring right next to your ear, again, easy fix, just heat shrink the spring guide/grease the spring.

The SRS is built properly, very solid and it definitely doesn’t feel like it will break, but it’s heavier than the SSG.

The SSG feels solid, but it’s so light.

If your anywhere near Herts, you could always meet me at a game and you can try both.

I wish I was still in Herts to take you up on that offer... I was down there for years but im back home in Glasgow now.

You say the list of aftermarket parts for both is ludicrous... I thought the SSG didnt have any other than the external, optional, fluff? Barring the spring strength options of course. What would you do internally to it?

I would never pay anyone to work on a weapon.... Tinkering is part of the fun for me! And as you say, it saves a ton of money. Same reasons I build my own computers.

Im so torn...

Archived