Looking to get into airsoft in Bucks/Berks/Ox area

DaveG85
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, first post here.

I've never played organised airsoft before now but at the age of 32 I feel it's about time I took up a regular outdoor hobby and considering my only real passion in life is running around the woods shooting people, airsoft seems to be the way forward. I've played paintball about a dozen times and while I thoroughly enjoy it I've started to find it a bit easy, amateurish and spoiled by people refusing to call hits.

I'll probably be going alone as most of my mates are lazy/married/scared. I just wanted to introduce myself and pick the brains of guys in the know a little. I have looked around the forums a fair bit but just wanted clarification on a few things.

Firstly, can anyone recommend a good local site for me to start out at? I'll be hiring gun/equipment initially and looking to meet like minded people. I live on the M40 bang in between Oxford and High Wycombe. Reading is easily reachable for me but willing to travel further if need be.

If anyone local to me is looking to buddy up I'd be happy for you to get in contact. I drive and am punctual and reliable.

Am I correct in thinking I need to be a UKARA member in order to purchase a weapon and that I need to be a registered member at my local site and play 3 games there in a period of between 2 and 12 months in order to become a UKARA member?

Are the rental AEG's at sites generally any good?

What is the standard magazine capacity of an AEG? One of my local sites only seem to offer one or two mag hire packages which seems a bit tight.

is there such thing as organised airsoft teams who always play together and play other such teams competitively? If so joining one would be my ideal goal if I prove to have the required competence.

Can anyone recommend a good AEG for a beginner? I'd ideally be looking for something that is capable of maximum allowable muzzle velocity, is accurate, reliable, requires little maintenance, upgradable and realistic. Willing to spend up to £500.

What are the game rules on rate of fire? I see a lot of you tubers playing solely on semi-auto.... is this a game rule or just preference. Semi auto only games actually look a bit more fun to me and are probably more representative of actual combat which is the experience I'm after.

Apologies for the rambling post. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Hi Dave, I'm just about to start the car to pop out (waiting for the missus to find her handbag, typical!).

I'm a Reading based airsofter and can help with all the above. There's a few more of us on here too.

Once I've finished being the family taxi, I'll come back and respond properly :)

Welcome!

• Supporters

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forums.

@L3wisD is going to recommend the Mall in Reading (CQB), it’s a great site and a lot of forum members play there, so always someone to offer some assistance and advice and have a laugh with. He is probably going to tell you about other local sites that I have no clue about.

For the UKARA, you can buy a 2 tone gun (IF) right now. To buy a black gun (RIF) you will need a valid defence, there are many of these. To change the IF into a RIF you need a defence. 

To become UKARA registered, you need to play at a UKARA registered site 3 times within 56 days, I actually believe it’s 3 times with 56 days between first and third game(can’t remember exactly). UKARA needs to be reregistered every 12 months.

Rental guns: Depends on where your renting, usually they are not well looked after, but some sites do take care of them. Mags, 3 types Low-mid-hi, low are usually 30 round, mid between 80-140 round, hi usually around 300-400.

There are teams out there, look up MilSims for info on competitive playing, of and the new one Airsoft Masters(Facebook event).

For a beginners rifle I will always recommend the G&g CM16 raider. Around £130 good reliability, range, accuracy and holds its value, meaning when you want to upgrade you can get most of your money back! Other members will recommend other guns, they will probably be just as good, I just have no experience with them!( use the rest of your budget to buy mags/battery’s/good quality Bbs/good battery charger/gun accessories and maybe some pyros)

Most CQB sites stick to semi only, woodlands tend to be a mixture, it is preference as to what you use. I use semi as 1 shot gets the kill and makes less noise so your less likely to be spotted.

Hope you enjoy be Essay!

Thanks for the reply Prisce! All good info.

I might hang on to get a black gun as I'm a bit of a weapons enthusiast and am after realism but I'll wait till I've got some experience before committing.

Ill check out the Mall. CQB looks hectic but a lot of fun.

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

• Supporters

Welcome! :)

As above The Mall is where a bunch of forum regulars play at. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help you get started. 

Airsoft is an honor based sport. There's no visible marks unless you count welts so it's up to each player to call themselves out of they get hit. Luckily this is something the majority follow but you do get the odd one or two players who cheat. Hopefully you won't experience anything like that.

You can purchase an IF (two tone) but I'd wait until you get your 3 games done so you can get yourself a RIF. 

Rentals are typically quite good. There will be those with higher rates of fire and longer ranges of course but in CQB (which is where you'll be playing) neither of those really matter. You'll be easily on par with everybody else on the field. 

Most games consist of 2 teams split into even numbers with an objective to complete. What that objective is will determine what site and game mode you're playing. It could be a simple deathmatch, capture the flag, domination, etc.. 

If you have a certain person or people you want to play with just notify an admin and they'll sort it for you.

There's no rush to buy a gun, although you can sometimes save money by bringing your own kit depending on the site. I recommend the G&G CM16 for a budget starter or anything by Tokyo Marui for the mid-high range budget. 

Are there any particular weapons you are a fan of? M4, AK, MP5, L85, etc?

Typically CQB sites are restricted to semi auto, but this could vary depending on where you play and what game mode you're in. The problem with semi is we're not firing live rounds at each other and are instead shooting little plastic bbs with a huge margain for error. Whether that be wind, if a tree branch got in the way or just simply because the opponent didn't feel it due to padding. Shouldn't be an issue in CQC however. 

Thanks for the info Gepard, all sounds good. It looks like a couple of my mates might actually be keen to give it a crack as well.

Ill probably be looking at something in the M4 style although I am partial to an AK.

• Supporters
33 minutes ago, DaveG85 said:

Thanks for the info Gepard, all sounds good. It looks like a couple of my mates might actually be keen to give it a crack as well.

Ill probably be looking at something in the M4 style although I am partial to an AK.

Then I'd definitely recommend the CM16 for your first budget primary.

If you're after an AK, have a look at the ones by CYMA. 

Archived