Glove issues

Shaun Haynes
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello I've really struggled with getting gloves that I get on with everything is just too think and rigid. And I've had a few different pairs to from viper to mechanix and I just cant get on with any of them. 

Heard good thing about  bear claw( I think)  or the mechanix  0.5mm any suggestion.

The only gloves I've used  tgat are thin enough are you what I want  the one 1.99 one from screw fix. But I don't think they do them in black.

• Supporters

Not meant as a silly question but are you getting the correct size ? I’ve got Oakley’s , mechanix’s and several other types and not a problem using them due too there thickness as I’ve the correct size for me (large) .

if they are correctly sized for you , then have you tried nomex flight gloves ? There a lot thinner than most gloves you’d use for S’ofting . These are them .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-Army-Nomex-Pilotenhandschuhe-Schwarz-Gr-10-L-Flight-Gloves-Pilots-Fire-resi/122802599687?hash=item1c979af707:g:6s0AAOxy-WxTAgr1

• Supporters
26 minutes ago, Shaun Haynes said:

everything is just too think and rigid.

I'm going to assume you meant "thick" here.

What model of Mechanix were you using? What part of the glove is too rigid? How long did you use them before trying a different pair/style? What are you actually wanting from your gloves?

2 minutes ago, Lozart said:

I'm going to assume you meant "thick" here.

What model of Mechanix were you using? What part of the glove is too rigid? How long did you use them before trying a different pair/style? What are you actually wanting from your gloves?

The finger tip is always too think and fit that for think like reloading my trmr and I believe they were  mpacts    but they were gift so no idea if they were legit or not as there loads of fakes on eBay. I just don't want sink another 20 on gloves to be disappointed 

• Supporters
Just now, Shaun Haynes said:

The finger tip is always too think and fit that for think like reloading my trmr and I believe they were  mpacts    but they were gift so no idea if they were legit or not as there loads of fakes on eBay. I just don't want sink another 20 on gloves to be disappointed 

The fingertip is thicker on Mpacts because they're designed to be reinforced for protection. First and foremost with Mechanix specifically (and others to be fair) is to get the right size. Most people I see have them too large. Go to the Mechanix website and look at their sizing info. If you're between sizes, get the smaller one of the two for the best fit.

As far as dexterity goes you will always trade some feel against protection. You could always cut the fingertip off your trigger finger if you need the ultimate "feel" or there's a whole swathe of other glove models designed to improve feel. The 0.5mm Original has a thinner palm for this very reason. The Original has a one piece palm so the fingertips won't be as thick or bulky.

I've not tried them myself but many people rave about the PIG FDT gloves for good feel but they are not very robust as a result of the construction.

I've tried many pairs too and surprisingly it's not the most expensive that are the best.I found Mechanix "the original"(cheapest on Amazon btw) gave me the best results and lasted the best.There are plenty of fingerless gloves available,again look on Amazon for ideas.

What you need to be aware of is that they may be "hard" when new but use will soon soften them,also bear in mind that detergent may have an adverse affect on the stitching,if I need to I tend to throw them in the bath after I've been in there as opposed to the washing machine.

My tight brother uses work gloves from his place of work,they seem to work ok and they're free.There are plenty of fingerless gloves available look on Amazon for ideas.

I'm a mitten and string man myself...:D

I tried a few different gloves, my Mechanix MPact are the ones I use now, they have the best balance of dexterity and protection.

make sure you’re not going on a size too high though, I’ve seen a few people with gloves too big.

1 hour ago, Shaun Haynes said:

There the ones I thought were called bear claw for some reason

They're distributed in the UK by Bear Valley. Cheaper than Mechanix, at least as well made and from experience comfier and longer lasting.

I would suggest before you buy ask for any reviews on here,the reason I say that is that my wife paid a fair bit for a pair of gloves for me that were highly recommended and they turned out to be ultra disappointing,the reason I say that is because of the cost and I expected the performance to reflect that..if I could remember the make I would tell you..leave it with me....:rolleyes:

I use mechanix, but if you’re wanting to change .209 primers in a trmr then it’s easier to just take your glove off. I can’t do it with any glove on. Not quickly at least. 

I use mechanix originals in multiglam, paid €22 (around £17 for you brits), bought 2 and a half years ago and they are still going strong..

I use them for pretty much everything from airsoft to camping to whatever needs my hands to be protected..

For the price they're awesome.. The originals have a single piece of material on the palm which gives them a lot of dexterity compared to the M pacts or other hard knuckles (insert ugandan warrior memes here) gloves.. Impact protection is sufficient vs bbs, you still feel a tiny little sting but it's nothing compared to a hit on your bare skin (thanks Captain Obvious)..

In the past I've ran either nothing or a pair of dismissed mtb gloves..

I don't understand why you say Mechanix are expensive, or overpriced in some cases..

Speaking of fast fits, I just picked a pair up :P size M just like my originals, they literally fit like a glove (lol?)..

€22, just like my other pair..

They will be my backup gloves in case I lose or break my originals..

Ok loads of different options been thinking . I've   just cut the 1st 3  finger tips of my gloves aswell as stated  above.   Hopefully gonna  get some site gloves if that doesn't work.  But will wait until I can try the gloves on before dropping  £20+ on gloves 

Edit just an update. Just cut the fingers  mentions fingers off then had a play with few mag changes and such so much better and the only finger that I'm worried about getting shot is my index  on the front as my thumb is fairly well  covered  by pew box and rail 

I to have the same issue of finding gloves I like, felt comfortable in and work with when working on guns and shooting guns, it's does not help I have quite small hands too. 

But luckily I found a great solution and a cheap one to, I now use original maxi gloves. 

Here's are links to both types I use, 

This are tight to the skin, breathable and comfortable to wear from long periods of time and great to work on guns with too, as they have amazing grip.. Not the most attractive gloves though are they. 

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/MaxiFlex-Ultimate-42-874-Nitrile-Foam-Palm-Coated-Work-Gloves-Super-Comfort/160869766646?hash=item257495d5f6:m:mzFIVv5IDTiAcBdPHh_HhaA

This version is also light to the skin but thicker and harder material, good grip,  good for shooting in, and are not so in your face lol I even use rubbing alcohol to remove the lettering apart from maxi flex.. 

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/MaxiFlex-Endurance-34-847-Drivers-Nitrile-Foam-Micro-Dot-Coated-Work-gloves/160990952035?hash=item257bcefa63:m:mzHQHMpmV4db8NUCXqpSOKw

I have also heard good things about the new thin pig gloves but did not want to buy them just to find the same problems, as I've spent/wasted well over £100 trying gloves that are not suitable for me. 

So ill be sticking with the good quality and simple maxi gloves, don't buy the cheaper clone ones though they are rubbish.. 

ATB Marc 

I found carpenters gloves are a good set of gloves used them for 3 games and give decent protection and they already have the fingertips removed on the thumb, trigger finger and middle finger so you dont lose the flexibility of using your fingers  and only cost about £10 from any diy store.

• Supporters

I've had many pairs of Mechanix come apart after almost no use myself, but then some people find they last ages.  I've personally found the fit to be pretty bad, especially on the fastfits and I know I had the sizing right, but finger length, palm size etc etc all varies massively person to person.

I get asked this a lot, probably more than anything else and I recommend the PIG FDT Deltas to folks these days after trying all the good and popular options over the years.  Most of my gloves are the Alphas and I use those most but that's because I bought them all years ago before the Deltas came around.  If you want thin construction and dexterity specifically over protection (which is my preference for sure) the PIG line are popular around the world for good reason.

• Supporters
On 2/10/2018 at 3:51 PM, CKinnerley said:

I've had many pairs of Mechanix come apart after almost no use myself, but then some people find they last ages.  I've personally found the fit to be pretty bad, especially on the fastfits and I know I had the sizing right, but finger length, palm size etc etc all varies massively person to person.

I get asked this a lot, probably more than anything else and I recommend the PIG FDT Deltas to folks these days after trying all the good and popular options over the years.  Most of my gloves are the Alphas and I use those most but that's because I bought them all years ago before the Deltas came around.  If you want thin construction and dexterity specifically over protection (which is my preference for sure) the PIG line are popular around the world for good reason.

I'm one of those people that they fit well. I have big palms and quite short fingers so maybe that's why. Most other gloves are far too long in the finger/thumb for me but I do agree that the fast fits don't seem to work quite as well.

Personally my Mechanix (Mpact and regular) fit very nicely. On the basis of this thread I bought two sets of the Exo Ironclad gloves and both fit well apart from being slightly too long in the fingers, but as @CKinnerley says that is down to individual variation. Personally I would recommend either brand based on my experiences so far.

On a side note Ive just realised I have about £150 worth of just fecking gloves!

Archived