Will upgrading from 8.4 lipo to 9.6 NIMH increase my FPS?

Readman97
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just picked up a 9.6 NiMH for a better ROF and trigger response, but im a little worried my gun might be shooting hot on a NIMH, it previously chronographed at 348fps with 0.2s on 8.4v lipo so if its increased notably i may not be able to use it on most sites, i don't have a chrono and the next game isn't for some time, i also don't have any local shops that i could chrono it there, so has anyone done the switch and knows if the FPS increases by much?

• Supporters

Did you mean 7.4v LiPo? Airsoft LiPos only come in 7.4 or 11.1. Regardless if that is the case a 9.6 NiMH will give you similar of not slightly worse trigger response and ROF but the battery power has nothing to do with FPS.

Just now, Lozart said:

Did you mean 7.4v LiPo? Airsoft LiPos only come in 7.4 or 11.1. Regardless if that is the case a 9.6 NiMH will give you similar of not slightly worse trigger response and ROF but the battery power has nothing to do with FPS.

Yeah sorry, 7.4 lipo

• Supporters

Thought so; LiPo batteries improve your trigger response because they can deliver more current in short bursts than NiMH batteries can. So you've actually taken a step...sideways I guess.

Just now, Lozart said:

Thought so; LiPo batteries improve your trigger response because they can deliver more current in short bursts than NiMH batteries can. So you've actually taken a step...sideways I guess.

My trigger response definitely feels better and the ROF is over double what it was, i remember people describing my gun as having a high ROF and mine was always pretty low (4-5RPS) it came with a crane stock that fits nunchuck NiMH perfectly so i suspect it was originally designed for 9.6v, glad to hear it wont affect my fps as its already right up on the limit, cheers for your help guys.

• Supporters
Just now, Readman97 said:

My trigger response definitely feels better and the ROF is over double what it was, i remember people describing my gun as having a high ROF and mine was always pretty low (4-5RPS) it came with a crane stock that fits nunchuck NiMH perfectly so i suspect it was originally designed for 9.6v, glad to hear it wont affect my fps as its already right up on the limit, cheers for your help guys.

I'd say that you more likely had a dodgy battery. Did you try it with other people's batteries too before buying a new one?

Just now, Lozart said:

I'd say that you more likely had a dodgy battery. Did you try it with other people's batteries too before buying a new one?

I have 3 lipos and they all perform the same, i suspect it was originally designed to run on NiMH as they fit in the original stock perfectly and run much better, i was tempted to go 11.1 lipo but didn't wanna risk burning something out or blowing the fuse.

• Supporters
Just now, Readman97 said:

I have 3 lipos and they all perform the same, i suspect it was originally designed to run on NiMH as they fit in the original stock perfectly and run much better, i was tempted to go 11.1 lipo but didn't wanna risk burning something out or blowing the fuse.

Strange. Still, at least you're sorted now.

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

@ImTriggerHappy should be able to confirm if this is true :)

Lets just say everything Lozart said is true and I translated "strange" to talking bollocks. 

If there was an ETU inside that was set for a 9.6v minimum input then the 7.4v lipo could be issue but otherwise the lipo will generally give far better trigger response and 2/3rps better rof. The lipo discharges power far better.

1 minute ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Lets just say everything Lozart said is true and I translated "strange" to talking bollocks. 

If there was an ETU inside that was set for a 9.6v minimum input then the 7.4v lipo could be issue but otherwise the lipo will generally give far better trigger response and 2/3rps better rof. The lipo discharges power far better.

Nuprol actually recommend using 7.4 LiPo or 8.4 NiMH in it so i think 7.4 is the bare minimum power battery it will work with, my ROF doubled with the 9.6, trigger response is a bit quicker but only cos the motor is spinning faster from the extra voltage, nothing massive, the NiMH fits perfectly in the stock, a lot better than the 1450 mah nunchuck lipo, i know NiMH has its drawbacks but i thought id give it a go, cant give full opinion on it until i can test it at a game, so far though with just garage testing im a lot happier with the ROF.

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, Readman97 said:

Nuprol actually recommend using 7.4 LiPo or 8.4 NiMH in it so i think 7.4 is the bare minimum power battery it will work with, my ROF doubled with the 9.6, trigger response is a bit quicker but only cos the motor is spinning faster from the extra voltage, nothing massive, the NiMH fits perfectly in the stock, a lot better than the 1450 mah nunchuck lipo, i know NiMH has its drawbacks but i thought id give it a go, cant give full opinion on it until i can test it at a game, so far though with just garage testing im a lot happier with the ROF.

In theory a 9.6v nimh should have slightly better rof but reality usually buggers that up.

Never found a single gun that runs better on a nimh and that includes the ones that are hyper smooth and efficent to the point of zero gearbox whine.

3 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

In theory a 9.6v nimh should have slightly better rof but reality usually buggers that up.

Never found a single gun that runs better on a nimh and that includes the ones that are hyper smooth and efficent to the point of zero gearbox whine.

Its not running "smoother" per say, just quicker, i found on semi with the lipo, when spamming the trigger it would occasionally hang fire mid stroke and id have to switch to full auto to complete the cycle, haven't had that with the NiMH, seems to be running a bit happier, my main complaint was my ROF, i was thinking of going for an 11.1 lipo instead but i reckon it would have popped the fuse or worse.

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Whoa whoa whoa, what happened in here.

I tagged Trig in here because if anyone knows about squeezing every bit of optimum potential from a gearbox, it's him. 

You should listen to his gun in action!

But, happy to see he's been able to help.

1 minute ago, L3wisD said:

Whoa whoa whoa, what happened in here.

I tagged Trig in here because if anyone knows about squeezing every bit of optimum potential from a gearbox, it's him. 

You should listen to his gun in action!

But, happy to see he's been able to help.

No offence lad but you two tend to follow me around like a bad smell, trashing every post i make, at least this time you've been actually helpful, so thankyou.

Don't flatter yourself there boy.

Outside of your disastrous Nuprol review thread, I've barely had any dealings with you... 

And you'll notice that me and trig weren't the only ones calling you out in that thread, either.

1 minute ago, L3wisD said:

Don't flatter yourself there boy.

Outside of your disastrous Nuprol review thread, I've barely had any dealings with you... 

And you'll notice that me and trig weren't the only ones calling you out in that thread, either.

Certainly the main ones, while we are on the subject of the nuprol, any barrel and hop up recommendations? 

By all means.

Bung a Prometheus EG 6.03 Barrel in it (choosing the right length for your gun):

https://eagle6.co.uk/shop/catalog/product/view/id/890/s/laylax-prometheus-6-03mm-eg-inner-barrel-247mm/

Change your rubber to a Prometheus Purple

https://eagle6.co.uk/shop/catalog/product/view/id/318/s/laylax-prometheus-hop-up-rubber-nub-soft-purple/

And the hop up to a Prowin:

http://airsoftzone.co.uk/hop-up-chambers-and-rubbers/cnc-m4-hop-up-chamber-for-marui-type-aeg-prowin

And you'll be laughing.

2 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

By all means.

Bung a Prometheus EG 6.03 Barrel in it (choosing the right length for your gun):

https://eagle6.co.uk/shop/catalog/product/view/id/890/s/laylax-prometheus-6-03mm-eg-inner-barrel-247mm/

Change your rubber to a Prometheus Purple

https://eagle6.co.uk/shop/catalog/product/view/id/318/s/laylax-prometheus-hop-up-rubber-nub-soft-purple/

And the hop up to a Prowin:

http://airsoftzone.co.uk/hop-up-chambers-and-rubbers/cnc-m4-hop-up-chamber-for-marui-type-aeg-prowin

And you'll be laughing.

The barrel i have in is a stainless steel 6.03, what makes that one better bud?

Most definitely the build quality of the barrel.

Just because the material and the dimensions are the same, doesn't mean they are equal.

You're a motorcyclist, so it's like saying a zhangdong CG125 clone is equal to a proper Honda CG125, if that makes sense.

As Hangtight says, I'd bet my testicles that the Prometheus is a whole lot smoother and much better engineered than the Nuprol equivalent. 

You'll notice an increase in accuracy and range over the stock barrel in any case.

Just now, L3wisD said:

Most definitely the build quality of the barrel.

Just because the material and the dimensions are the same, doesn't mean they are equal.

You're a motorcyclist, so it's like saying a zhangdong CG125 clone is equal to a proper Honda CG125, if that makes sense.

As Hangtight says, I'd bet my testicles that the Prometheus is a whole lot smoother and much better engineered than the Nuprol equivalent. 

You'll notice an increase in accuracy and range over the stock barrel in any case.

Ill look into it and see if it would be a cost effective upgrade, cheers

Archived