Help me spend my money wisely...... On a gas rifle (Maybe!)

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Seven mags. Both version 1 and version 2 magazines. PM if interested and can send pics. Magazines are pretty hard to come by... 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you to everyone for all the advice. I went with reliable. Because I'm cack handed!
I love my wife!
Rather than getting mad at me, she bought me a new gun :D:D
So I'm now the proud, yet slightly scared new owner of a GHK G5.

IMG_2229.jpg

6 minutes ago, Sako said:

Just go for an HPA set-up, Daytona gun or Tippman etc...

Ignore the heretic and his paintball ways ;)

Going round in circles I am.

I'm generally refining my wants list.

Not sure if a Tipmann fits.
I want something that's not going to break on its first outing. Or, preferably it's 10th or 20th.
I want something that's reliable, accurate and has a decent range.
I've decided that for CQB I'm just going to run with a pistol. Because it's fun!
So I just need something for outdoor games.

I like the idea of a DMR for the extra range - I'm not particularly bothered about the loss of full auto - I'll gladly swap that for an increase in usable, accurate range.
I've looked at so many guns my head is swimming.

So far:
The Tipmann looks good, but I'm not sure if it fits the criteria regrading range/accuracy

The MWS looks good, but again, not sure about the range.

What am I missing?

Any more suggestions, as it seems my decision making abilities are compromised.

I'm sat in a hospital room at the mo, watching youtibe videos, where every single gun is JUST BRILLIANT! (Apparently) and as a result, I'm befuddled.....

Alright this probably isn't going to be a welcome suggestion due to the G5 experience, but I will say it anyway.

GHK M4.

As I said, the G5 was their low budget "accessible" option which sacrifices quality to lower cost. The internals are zinc and the externals are polymer, but the gun simply kicks too hard for the build quality.

The M4, on the other hand, has steel internals out of the box. Unlike most brands, the externals are not crappy pot metal either, they are a high grade aluminium (though RATech offer higher grade 7074 aluminium receivers too). The internal mechanism is realistic and the kick is great. Accuracy is also brilliant, there are many tests on YouTube. However, if you are spending this much on a gun then the chances are that you will eventually switch the hop up rubber and inner barrel anyway. I believe the GHK M4 is compatible with AEG rubbers and inner barrels. 

Performance wise, the MWS and GHK M4 are essentially the same, with the MWS having slightly less recoil. While the GHK is a replica, the MWS was designed more towards being an airsoft gun, hence the internal mechanism they've come up with. 

These are basically the 2 best M4 GBBRs on the market and you aren't going to go wrong with either choice.

I really miss my GHK M4 :unsure:

I would normally never recommend WE, ever. However, this SCAR-H GBB I have is ridiculously fun. Although the internals of mine have mainly been switched out to the likes of Angry Gun or RATech, with few things remaining as WE. Could be worth a look, the SCAR H mags are very gas efficient due to their size and all the controls are basically ambidextrous with the exception of the bolt release. Even the charging handle can switch sides which is nice. Besides, you can most definitely build a DMR from a SCAR H.

For reference, the Tippmann's hop is not so good.

OR, if performance is what you are after, buy a TM MK23. The one-handed silent sniper. Or put it in a carbine kit. 

Gonna stop typing now because I feel like I have no life writing an essay on gas guns :lol:

5 minutes ago, BigBlackGlock said:

For reference, the Tippmann's hop is not so good.

Correct, the Tippman standard hop is diabolical, every owner will tell you to just buy and install the TTRtec TDC mod straight away to fix the issue. 

Its a little over £10 and will transform the gun.

On 2/5/2018 at 5:18 PM, sonofsammo said:

I'm the least mechanically technically minded person, ever...
So I've been looking at stuff that might be okay out of the box

Whilst the Tippmann's hop can definitely be upgraded, it would unfortunately require messing around internally to do that which is why I didn't recommend it given the above quote from the OP. But yes, once that hop is changed, the Tippmann is definitely a competitor :)

I still wouldn't recommend it though as I am not a fan of HPA. I like 'realism' (to an extent) and having a tank/hose strapped to the gun defeats that for me :lol:

Before I start preaching about the almighty MWS...

the tipman man is a very reliable platform and I love the idea of the 80rd mags, although I imagine they are run with that evil HPA line. In terms of performance (range/accuracy) they’re not the best, but like everything can be made to shoot as well as most. 

Ive had 3 GHK’s.. I no longer have any GHk’s.. take from that what you will. There’s nothing inherently wrong with them and they’re built well, but their performance isn’t as good as I’d like. 

The MWS out of the box was more accurate and shot further than any airsoft gun I’ve ever owned. I’ve got 2. One a 10.5” CASV and a DMR. They do everything I’ve asked them to do, whether it be fast pace CQB or taking someone out over 70m away at Anzio. Since then I’ve bought an asg skorpion I shot once and don’t want, a secutor shotgun I shot once and don’t want, kwa vector I’ve shot once and don’t want... nothing measures up to them for me personally. 

If you can get on it, here’s my write up on it. 

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/forum/airsoft-related/pictures-of-your-guns/246005-tm-mws-m4-build

to add, I’m taking my rangefinder out with me this weekend and getting some accurate readings of what my guns are shooting. I’ll report back with my findings. 

Worrying about the range of a TM MWS is wasted time. 

They fly out... Far out... 

Never doubt the Marui Pixie Dust. 

You don’t seem to know what you want (which is fair enough as the choice is staggering). If you want the least amount of fuss, decide on the style of gun you want and buy an AEG version. For the most part they all shoot pretty comparatively. 

If you want the realism with the performance than any of the GBBR’s I’ve mentioned. 

1 hour ago, Wo1f said:

You don’t seem to know what you want (which is fair enough as the choice is staggering). If you want the least amount of fuss, decide on the style of gun you want and buy an AEG version. For the most part they all shoot pretty comparatively.

If you want the realism with the performance than any of the GBBR’s I’ve mentioned. 

You're right. I don't know 100% what I want.

And being stuck in a room with nothing but the internet for company is driving me a little mental.
I read and research, then think I've got it nailed. Then read something else and change my mind.
Maybe I should just buy lots of different pistols. lol
I think the MWS seems to tick the boxes, especially if the out of the box range is good.
I suppose I'm just balking at the magazine price (and scarcity), having just shelled out £118 for two g5 mags. Shame I can't use them.
I appreciate all the advice from everyone, it's much appreciated! :D

I am sure eBay would generate a return on your mags. Gas mags do not usually hang around as most GBBR users just want "one more..." 

Mws mags are much cheaper than GHK mags. I think I paid £35 for mine. I bought 3 and I got a mag with each of the two guns obviously 

Just now, Wo1f said:

Mws mags are much cheaper than GHK mags. I think I paid £35 for mine. I bought 3 and I got a mag with each of the two guns obviously 

Wowsers - I've only found 'em for around £50 in stock - where did you get yours from?

1 hour ago, sonofsammo said:

Wowsers - I've only found 'em for around £50 in stock - where did you get yours from?

Zero one airsoft. Just checked. Safe to say they are no longer £35 lol. 

£42 is the lowest I've found now. Beats £57 for the G5 for sure!
And at the moment, I have a TM MWS and MK23 in my basket at Camoraids.
Am just waiting on my site confirming defence so I can grab em....
Although, knowing me, I'll have changed my mind again by the time they do......

19 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

£42 is the lowest I've found now. Beats £57 for the G5 for sure!
And at the moment, I have a TM MWS and MK23 in my basket at Camoraids.
Am just waiting on my site confirming defence so I can grab em....
Although, knowing me, I'll have changed my mind again by the time they do......

Best decision you’ll ever make. Was camp raids cheapest for mags?

Archived