Help me spend my money wisely...... On a gas rifle (Maybe!)

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm the least mechanically technically minded person, ever...
So I've been looking at stuff that might be okay out of the box, but as is typical with such things, mostly out of stock at local suppliers.
http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft/magpul-pts-rm4-erg-recoil-system-scout-rifle-black.htm
http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft/mk-ii-war-sport-lvoa-c-black.htm
http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft/a-and-k-sr25-black.htm#.WneThkynyf0
http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft/asg-cz-scorpion-evo-3-a1.htm
http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-m4-m15-m16-variants/g-g-gt-advanced-gr25-aeg-spr-sniper-rifle-black.htm

http://urbanairsoftuk.com/product/asg-cz-805-bren-a2-low-power/
http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft/tokyo-marui-hk416d-devgru-next-generation-custom-black.htm
I want something that will last, with good reliability as I'm not going to be great at fixing it myself.
Something that's fun to shoot, accurate, with a decent range in outdoor scenario. 
Do you need two guns? One CQB and one for open? Or can one do it all?
I'm looking at new, purely from a warranty point of view and because I need that security with my technical ineptitude.
I can either get two guns by splitting the dosh, or spend more on one.....

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

If you're looking for a one size fits all then forget the SR25s, the extra length is going to be a pain. The Scorpion evo, the Krytac or the HK416 Devgru will all serve you well out of the box in pretty much any scenario.

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

The Scorpion evo, the Krytac or the HK416 Devgru will all serve you well out of the box in pretty much any scenario.

What he said!

I would lean towards the Krytac or TM if your going to be;

Playing more field

Want a customisable externally gun

Metal construction

I would lean towards the Scorpion if your going to be;

Playing more CQB

Want a lightweight gun

Further i would say that the TM;

Is the most basic and reliable in construction from a workings point of view

Will shoot the most accurately even if only marginally over the others

Has a massive upgrade path internally if your willing to pay someone to do it as and when you require.

Further i would say the Krytac and Scorpion;

Are pretty much upgraded as standard, lovely triggers thanks to mosfets / high volt lIPo etc.

Would only need barrel and hop work if anything in the future.

Youve made some good choices and any of these three will not disappoint you and are all long term guns for sure!

The Kriss boys will be bouncing but if you want a 'one gun' then a Vector isn't what you want, I see them as a luxury item rather than an airsoft boss :)

I love em but think there are many better airsoft performers.

As someone who’s owned a Tm recoil and an asg scorpion, the overall better gun is the TM recoil. Dave has pretty much summed up the recoil and he knows far more about them than me, so I’ll tell you about the scorpion evo.

its a nice, compact design that has the range and accuracy of most high end airsoft guns, so around 50m. The trigger is probably the best thing about the gun. It’s by far the nicest AEG trigger I’ve personally used because of the micro switch. It’s very well built and comes with a good warranty I believe. You can change the spring in 20 seconds, should you feel the need and once the stock is folded it really is tiny. BUT....

the iron sights are MUCH to low. You have to really get behind the rifle which isn’t fast and problematic with plate carriers or face masks. A red dot is pretty much essential. Installing the battery is a pain in the ass, and it has to be removed or it will kill the battery. I assume this is because of the mosfet. Not a massive deal, but to be picky.. it needs an adapter if you want to add tracers or suppressors. 

Never owned a krytac. Some seem to love them, but they are mostly Americans, so take from that what you will..

20 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Well said! I should have added;

Further I would say the Krytac;

Is your go to gun if you like to hold over the barrel like an American 

I've noticed them doing that  - couldn't figure out why?

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

Google "Chris Costa"

39 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

Some tactical dude who never seems to burn his hands told them it was a good idea.

I heard it was a "race" competition style of shooting but I highly doubt that's the truth lol

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, LightningCh said:

I heard it was a "race" competition style of shooting but I highly doubt that's the truth lol

It's a grip borne out of target shooting that allows the shooter to maintain better recoil control and reduce time on target. In actual combat use it's widely discredited as impractical and in airsoft it's purely "tacticool" due to a lack of any real amount of recoil.

Thanks for all the info so far :-D
I'm still not sure which way to go - I think I'll have to try and get them in hand to see what they feel like.
Have also been looking at the TM Scar and G36 - How do you guys think these stack up?
All of the Marui seem a little under powered? 
In terms of FPS / barrel length etc, what makes the biggest difference to accuracy and distance? - I'm aware there's no rifling on the barrel, so was wondering if barrel length made any difference at all (because if not, I'd always lean towards a shorter barrel).

TIA

• Head Moderator

The TM guns are "perfectly" set up for the gun with correct fps for barrel size, etc. They are not under powered (designed to be within Japanese airsoft limits). Longer barrels will not necessarily improve range over shorter barrels, and remember barrel width effects air volume when getting optimum length. FPS alone is not a measure of range or accuracy; the most important part is the hop unit. TM generally have good hop units and guns made to work well from out of the box.

There are lots of topics about barrels, etc, in the Advice & Technical Help section. These guys can better explain the physics and technical aspects

ICS L85, I can get the gear box out, change spring depending on FPS site limits in the blink of an eye and it outranged pretty much all M4's and stuff at the weekend, got mine on here for under 200 quid with the R.I.S rail on the front, bloody bargain!, I cannot speak high enough of the gun, it sits in you shoulder bang on and is easy to get on with, its just a bit heaby but....meh, eat some weatabix!

• Supporters
6 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

Thanks for all the info so far :-D
I'm still not sure which way to go - I think I'll have to try and get them in hand to see what they feel like.
Have also been looking at the TM Scar and G36 - How do you guys think these stack up?
All of the Marui seem a little under powered? 
In terms of FPS / barrel length etc, what makes the biggest difference to accuracy and distance? - I'm aware there's no rifling on the barrel, so was wondering if barrel length made any difference at all (because if not, I'd always lean towards a shorter barrel).

TIA

GET THE SCAR!!!!!

We need more SCAR owners, especially the tan ones.

3 minutes ago, Lozart said:

GET THE SCAR!!!!!

We need more SCAR owners, especially the tan ones.

Is that some bias I sense.....?

I met a chap at the weekend with a SCAR in tan... lovely piece of kit. 

How does it compare to the 416?

• Supporters
1 minute ago, sonofsammo said:

Is that some bias I sense.....?

I met a chap at the weekend with a SCAR in tan... lovely piece of kit. 

How does it compare to the 416?

SCARs are made of win and will automatically make you 1000% more tacticool!

As far as against the 416 is concerned it's basically the same inside so....

• Supporters
1 hour ago, L3wisD said:

ZWKkCV7.png

Eurggh

There's always one.

TM rifs tick all of your boxes. 

They are unlikely to go pear shaped unless you do something ill-advised or incredibly daft to them. 

• Supporters
15 hours ago, L3wisD said:

More like a goblin shark

jD5e4TX.jpg

A SEXY Goblin shark....

Archived