Best DMR available at a reasonable price that takes standard M4 mags?

StealthHunter
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Drop the £300 on your current M4 and you might have something that approaches an accuratised airsoft gun.

There's an enormous difference between something that looks like a DMR and something that performs like a DMR.

What sorry of performance do you want to achieve/expect? Because there's really not much in it between a properly sorted AEG and a decent DMR build.

• Supporters

Ever heard of Pandora’s box ? 

Guess what you’ve just opened it ! :lol:

but as to your question I’ve got a G&G Tr16 R5 , it is just over your upper limit but I do  have to say haven’t needed to touch it since I had it . 

Bit cheaper is the cyan cm072 MK12 , I’ve fired but not owned one but it ‘felt’ good and the owner was very happy with it .

• Moderators

most sites i play at the limit is only 400 for a DMR over the usual 345/350 for AEGs so tbh with some RIFs you dont get any benefit or an advantage unless your the usual sniper.....

so as i have ICS based selections, i just swap out the upper gearbox on my longer two (ICS CXP UK1R and ICS UKR-SR....most look the same so wife isnt aware how many i have!) and 'play the part**' more than try and hide and hit someone a few feet further than my AEG will get to :D

oooh and they all use the same mags as well

** choose to do it more though when im injured but i miss the running around and sneaking.....

If you were to buy only one AEG, I would recommend the ICS m4 because of the spilt gearbox design. That way you could have a spare upper and go from carbine to DMR in a few seconds relatively cheaply. 

As for actual DMR’s... throwing a bigger spring into a gun is going to give you a little bit more at the price of a minimum engagement distance. To do that would be pointless. The key to a DMR is your hop up, but before you get to that, you need to lock it to semi. The best but most expensive way of doing that is dropping in a programmable mosfet/trigger unit. From there, you need to work out if your internal components will survive a heavier spring. 400 FPS and you’re probably fine. You want to make sure the air seal is perfect and the gearbox in general is well shimmer etc. 

You want a good good hop up rubber, and potentially chamber depending on how consistent the one in the gun is already. There’s lots of good options, but I’ve always had good results with maple leaf buckings. The reason you want a good, consistent hop is so you can lift heavy (.3 minimum) BB’s. Heavy BB’s hold on to their energy longer and are less effected by wind. That means they will travel further and be less effected by outside influences than a lighter one. 

9 hours ago, Hangtight said:

Drop the £300 on your current M4 and you might have something that approaches an accuratised airsoft gun.

There's an enormous difference between something that looks like a DMR and something that performs like a DMR.

What sorry of performance do you want to achieve/expect? Because there's really not much in it between a properly sorted AEG and a decent DMR build.

Im wanting accurate to a body sized target at 200+ feet, capable of holding 350+ fps with 0.3g, basically some mid to long range without having to go bolt action.

1.88J, or 330fps with 0.36g BBs. You can do something useful with that. But you won't be buying it off the shelf.

Just now, Hangtight said:

1.88J, or 330fps with 0.36g BBs. You can do something useful with that. But you won't be buying it off the shelf.

Damn, give me industrial machinery and im away, low tolerance small parts and im guaranteed to break something lol, the bolt action route is a second option, whats your opinion on the novritsch SSG24?

Heartily recommend going down the M4 route for a DMR, as opposed to an SR25. If you’re not bothered about the 7.62mm look, then there will be far more upgrade options available for a good M4 platform.

I’m going to buy another cheapo CYMA M4, gut it, and then build to DMR myself, I expect it’ll probably cost around the £400 range. You can get the Vietnam-style 20rd M16 mags that will usually fit, and give more room underneath for movement on a bipod - have attached a photo.

22 hours ago, djben9 said:

most sites i play at the limit is only 400 for a DMR over the usual 345/350 for AEGs so tbh with some RIFs you dont get any benefit or an advantage unless your the usual sniper.....

so as i have ICS based selections, i just swap out the upper gearbox on my longer two (ICS CXP UK1R and ICS UKR-SR....most look the same so wife isnt aware how many i have!) and 'play the part**' more than try and hide and hit someone a few feet further than my AEG will get to :D

oooh and they all use the same mags as well

** choose to do it more though when im injured but i miss the running around and sneaking.....

Wow that’s a terrible FPS limit for DMR. All the sites I play at allow 500fps for DMR.

E6B91EA2-8D3D-4871-8229-8AB8CE1F76C1.png

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

Wow that’s a terrible FPS limit for DMR. All the sites I play at allow 500fps for DMR.

i know, it makes it pretty pointless so its only really for 'looks' that usefulness!....hence its not used much during winter months at tuddenham when the wooded bit is generally not in play....allowing more sneakyness!...........usually loan it to my brother! lol

2nd for the cyma m14 £120.00 posted with a scope rail and spair mag from Taiwan gun with out touching it was getting 70 meter range 

Would also check your site some require the gun to be mechanical locked to semi if you want to up fps. I would also echo you can get more range with a good hop set up than with more fps

• Supporters

@StealthHunter if you DO decide to go the CYMA M14 route then give me a shout, I have a bunch of spare mags (mostly hicaps to be fair) that I can let go for a reasonable price.

11 hours ago, Samurai said:

M4 is one of the worst choices to go DMR. Its construction is anything but accurate. You'll need to spend a lot on it to get to the level of an out of box Cyma M14.

How so?

6 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

How so?

The gearbox is fixed into the lower receiver, while the barrel and hop rattle around in the upper which itself is poorly located relative to the lower. Then unless you've got a G&P taper receiver and outer barrel, the outer barrel itself doesn't exactly locate very accurately to the upper receiver. So although it can be made to all fit nicely, it's a pain in the butt involving shims, bushes, reamers and as a last resort magic body pins.

2 hours ago, Hangtight said:

The gearbox is fixed into the lower receiver, while the barrel and hop rattle around in the upper which itself is poorly located relative to the lower. Then unless you've got a G&P taper receiver and outer barrel, the outer barrel itself doesn't exactly locate very accurately to the upper receiver. So although it can be made to all fit nicely, it's a pain in the butt involving shims, bushes, reamers and as a last resort magic body pins.

Ah I see. And I suppose some of this stuff wouldn’t help fix most of these issues?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-expanding-foam-hand-held-750ml/75470

• Supporters
21 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

The three sites I play at all have a strict 350 limit on any full or semi only guns due too the speed you could spam the trigger at if you wanted too . But bolt’s are 500 . 

Archived