Reusable grenades BFG, VTG, TRMR

Ajax
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys.

Could you please help me understand current situation with BFG on the market?

From timed grenages we have 2 choices:
- Dynatex BFG; (available to buy).
- ‎SWAT VTG or VTGx; (available to buy).

Impact grenades market seems more complicated:
- Dynatex Dominator; (available to buy).
- ‎OhShiBoom (dead? Last News on their webpage is from 2016 and no stock to buy from their shop).
- ‎SWAT BFGx, m84, m84x, m203 (available to buy) I would love to hear from you it they are any good? 
- Alphatech Hex Gen.2 (available to buy) quite bad fame follows it (not recommended by many). 
- ‎the TRMR family (available to buy).

Did I miss anything?
Is there anything in impact grenades market worth recommending beside TRMR?

Any other products on the horizon?

Thanks 

• Supporters

Dynatec’s may be ‘old fashioned’ to some but you still won’t go far wrong with them , if you take a bit of time searching you’ll find a good selection of fair priced ones as lots of players are getting hypnotized by the shiny shiny new ones and are offloading there’s to raise cash for the newer types . 

11 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Dynatec’s may be ‘old fashioned’ to some but you still won’t go far wrong with them , if you take a bit of time searching you’ll find a good selection of fair priced ones as lots of players are getting hypnotized by the shiny shiny new ones and are offloading there’s to raise cash for the newer types . 

Not saying that Dynatex are bad - I saw brand new one recently in brick and mortar store and they are reasonably priced so if somebody is not looking for flashy TRMR it is good alternative. 

11 hours ago, Duff said:

Nice idea but personally I would not buy it:

- gas, maintenance, valves, o-rings brrr.... on the grenade? I have enough "fun" keeping my pistols mags leak free. whats wrong with cheap and cheerful primers?

- taping, shaking and screwing core into shell  

- not a big fan of bb spraying grenades - much rather prefer bang ones ;]

personally I use VTG and love timed grenades - allows to roll them into the room and do not have to worry about throwing them above knee high. 

Still main issue I have with them is reload speed. that's why I try to see that is available on the market from multi shot grenades - is I understand correctly there are 2 choices infamous Alphatech Hex Gen.2 and famous TRMR. 

On the other hand do you know what are the differences between TRMR E1 X4 and X4-S? And are the worth £10 difference in price?

cheers

I am answering my own question ;) but maybe somebody will find this useful.

X4-S version is now field strippable which means you can disassemble yourself for cleaning. The previous versions was not made to be dismantled.

(Credit to JD airsoft guys).

• Supporters

I have the ‘old’ trmr multi base and I love it chuck bang ! Pick up twist and chuck again ! AND repeat ! 

You also have the incentive designs id5 multi shot grenade, the AI cyclone or burst banger grenades. 

The challenge outside of timed grenades. If finding something reliable for both indoor and outdoor play all year round. 

Hi. 

Quick question to people who have/had both Dynatex Dominator and new TRMR. Is there noticeable difference in sensitivity? 

I wonder what would be better 2xDynatex or 1xTRMR? Yeah you have 3 shots in TRMR but you can't throw it twice at once :) still if Dynatex will have higher chance of not to go off (deployed under the knee high) then the choice is clear.

Thank you.

38 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

I usually run a mixture of impacts and timed, the timed are good at rolling down corridors etc and the impacts for more up close and personal (door ways etc)

That is exactly my plan :)

I use timed already. Now to chose right impact for the job ;)

1 minute ago, Ajax said:

That is exactly my plan :)

I use timed already. Now to chose right impact for the job ;)

The Dominator/Decimator are good options as they are pretty light in comparison to their metal based cousins, alas they don't always go off unless you give a bit of force at the floor. I don't really think you can go wrong with the likes of the TRMR or if you can find them the original police impact grenades (bulky as hell but mine have never skipped a beat)

I'd like to add this....disposable..there done it and I've tried everything.

I had BFG's TMR's,etcc,etc,but for me the weight became an issue along with cost if you lose them,having to recover them after use and other associated woes.I buy smokes and bangs by the box,supply teammates and tbh they are a lot less hassle,although I don't CQB so that is a consideration.I wasn't even using them some days at all,I'd load them then carry them around all day loaded.

Probably no help at all but my opinion,I'll leave now...:unsure:

5 minutes ago, snuff said:

I'd like to add this....disposable..there done it and I've tried everything.

I had BFG's TMR's,etcc,etc,but for me the weight became an issue along with cost if you lose them,having to recover them after use and other associated woes.I buy smokes and bangs by the box,supply teammates and tbh they are a lot less hassle,although I don't CQB so that is a consideration.I wasn't even using them some days at all,I'd load them then carry them around all day loaded.

Probably no help at all but my opinion,I'll leave now...:unsure:

I do think you have a valid point weight vs. lost cost and unfortunately you cant account for someone nicking one even if you engrave them etc. I only ever really run one timed and one impact at a time so the weight doesn't bother me in the slightest, i do usually have disposables on me as well as BFG's as obviously the deployment of each are vastly different.

• Supporters
On 31/01/2018 at 7:29 PM, Ajax said:

- ‎SWAT VTG or VTGx; (available to buy).

Nope.  Made to order, on a schedule that suits them.  They won't tell you this before they have your money.  I'd also not rate the long term survivability of mine - it's failed to detonate a couple of times.

- Alphatech Hex Gen.2 (available to buy) quite bad fame follows it (not recommended by many). 

Dead for two years, as far as I can tell. You can still send them money, then jump on their facebook page to ask where your grenade is, like everyone else posting there.

I'd go Dynatex for timed on the simple basis that you can buy them from stock from reputable retailers.  Only with hindsight I wouldn't go for timed at all, since you'll rarely be in a position to throw a BFG outdoors, and if you're indoors, an impact grenade tends to be more useful.  Not always, but by default I'd rather have an impact in hand than a timed.

I'm very happy with my TRMR.  It's a simple, robust design, has never failed to go off indoors, and twist to arm or disarm is a great feature compared to pulling a pin then being committed. The TRMR tri-shot base pushes the cost over £100 but it works well if you're feeling flush.

• Root Admin

It may have been mentioned already, but the SWAT VTG and Dynatex BFG are identical in design with some minor changes on the newer SWAT VTG. I've owned both and never noticed a difference despite my Dynatex ones being very old at this point. Both have fuse times that depend on a bit of a pot luck when you first buy them, how long since you cleaned them and how you store them (between 2.5 to 4 seconds). I've noticed this in both brands, and have never really known them to fail when in use. Cleaning them is a bit of a ballache but really only needs doing once a year. Pins are very easy to come by if you order the bits off eBay to make you own (in which case you can make about 20 of them for a fiver and in under 10 minutes).

Timed grenades are all I'd consider for woodland as autumn leaves will mean even the best TRMR won't go off 100% reliably (though it'll be fine most of the time) and that's a problem because it's not always then immediately obvious where it landed (leading to increased difficulty in finding it later). For indoors I'd follow the general consensus and get a TRMR though - they're widely available, well tested and multi-shot bases are excellent. I've an OhShiBoom too and it works just as reliably, but it's showing its age vs the TRMR (which is more compact). Using a timed BFG indoors does give players a chance to dodge them, whereas impact grenades don't really allow for that.

I'd agree that grenades are less valuable outdoors, but generally rules are more lax on them when outdoors and - depending on your site - clearing out fortifications built with no proper interiors (i.e. dirt and leaves) does put you at a significant advantage. Basically anywhere you can use pyro you can swap it out for a BFG (unless you're the sort that likes to throw pyro 30 metres on the off chance that it might get somebody. Also being able to use a shotgun blank occasionally (again, if your site allows it) can be quite the chuckle.

Thank you guys for your input. 

Playing at the Mall i really appreciate my VTG. Roll on baby roll on booom.... ;)

Again having impact grenade has more close and personal use options :)

I am bit torn tho should I go for 2* Dynatex or 1 TRMR

5 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

The Dominator/Decimator are good options as they are pretty light in comparison to their metal based cousins, alas they don't always go off unless you give a bit of force at the floor. I don't really think you can go wrong with the likes of the TRMR or if you can find them the original police impact grenades (bulky as hell but mine have never skipped a beat)

I liked the idea of 2x Dynatex but clumpyedge worried me a bit saying that they are less reliable then TRMR? 

Hmmm... Back to google .... TRMR .... Search best price.... 

On 2/2/2018 at 3:04 PM, Ajax said:

Thank you guys for your input. 

Playing at the Mall i really appreciate my VTG. Roll on baby roll on booom.... ;)

Again having impact grenade has more close and personal use options :)

I am bit torn tho should I go for 2* Dynatex or 1 TRMR

I liked the idea of 2x Dynatex but clumpyedge worried me a bit saying that they are less reliable then TRMR? 

Hmmm... Back to google .... TRMR .... Search best price.... 

Don't get me wrong they are good but they are better suited to a harder floor type like concrete, anything like vinyl and you have to give a bit more power when throwing at the floor. Or just make sure your dropping it from around waist height.

• Supporters

Funny[*] story, I found myself using my timed grenade more than my impact yesterday indoors.  There were more occasions when I had to roll one than to place one.

I guess the answer is "have both".  First world problems.

[*] Not "ha ha".

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Funny[*] story, I found myself using my timed grenade more than my impact yesterday indoors.  There were more occasions when I had to roll one than to place one.

I guess the answer is "have both".  First world problems.

[*] Not "ha ha".

Yeah, that's why I run a mix of both. Better to have it and not need it than, not have it and need it.

I'm a Newbie and I have to say one of the things that sold me on the idea of airsoft was the "pyro" thing.

I bought the Dynatex Impact and Timed grenades as its easy to see the benefit of both in play. From an engineering standpoint I think they are excellent. You have the flexibility of 9mm blanks and shotgun primers which can be reset really quickly.

I am really hunting for that elusive first grenade kill. (First game was in woodland and the soft ground meant my Impact Grenade failed to detonate at a critical point)

I was looking at a Novoritsh Grenade video last week which is the Airsoft Innovations Burst XL. Frankly this is laughable by comparison. Solid enough certainly but you need gas diaphragms and time to reset. The Dynatex impact grenade particularly you could use to clear a bunker, and then easily reset in the field with another blank so you could use it to defend the bunker.

15 minutes ago, Samurai said:

Yeah, but it's not allowed to use blanks or primers everywhere in the world.

So that's why people buy cyclone and thunder b's (I never got the answer why the US can use blanks and primers considering at a young-ish age I could buy and use real steel shooty thingy's).... have you ever seen a thunder be go off?

I had one damn near take my face out at one game 

• Supporters

Timed can be fun , over the years I’ve had a fair few (my interest in grenades seems to wax and wan ) I’ve had a Dynatec that took 10sec’s to go off AND one that went off after only 2 ! Now I’m sure you can imagine the fun you can have with these , the ten you’d lob it in too a room everyone runs no bang come back BANG ! You all dead ! And the two ? you’d see it coming but before you can even get an “oh f**k !” Out your dead ! Lol :lol: 

as too not being able to find it in darkened rooms I’ve go strips of photo luminous tape on mine few seconds in light (natural or electric) and they glow for a good forty mins or so .

• Supporters

The Airsoft Innovations Burst XL does at least seem to go "bang".  The spinny BB spitting ones, meh.  Two chaps yesterday were bawwing about folk not taking them as hits, and when I heard (or rather didn't hear) them go off, I could see (or rather, not hear) why.

A sharp bang and a flash maximises your chance of people both hearing and seeing them, but at that, I've dropped my bright yellow VTG actually at someone's feet and they didn't notice it going off and had to have it pointed out to them.  All part of the fun.

Archived