Travelling with airsoft guns.

Tama
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I know there are already some posts covering airsoft guns in luggage. But I want to cover a few different but related questions all in one topic. 

For some background, I live in South Africa, where we don't have a very wide variety of airsoft stuff available, and ordering from overseas is a huge pain in the butt without an importers license; as it's expensive and valuable mail has a habit of 'getting misplaced'. 

So, I decided I might want to buy an airsoft gun while visiting family in the UK, as it's also a lot cheaper than local stores and gives me more to choose from. 

I don't have any kind of membership, so I know I'll have to get a two tone gun.

So far I'm looking at either getting the KWA INGRAM MAC-11(blue) or the Ares Amoeba 'STRIKER' S1(pink). Choosing between them will mostly be a matter of how much bag space I have left over.

I also read that the pressure of the plane flight might be a problem for the mags on any GBB airsoft gun.

• Is it easy to remove the valves to release the seal?
  • and is it easy to replace them afterwards? 
  • Does the process of removing and replacing them reduce the lifespan of the mag in any way?

As far as Law goes:

• What problems would I possibly face leaving the country with an two-tone that I didn't enter it with?
  • Would I have to declare it to the airport/my airline?
  • Would I be better off just treating it as a toy or treating it as an imitation firearm?
  • Would I be expected to pay any kind of extra tax?
  • I have travel insurance, is it important to mention these kinds of items for that? 
  • Would keeping it in its original packaging with a copy of the receipt be helpful?
  • Would it be useful to register and play one game of airsoft while over there, so that I can get a UKARA number more easily the next time I go to the uk? or is there a maximum amount of time between games before you have to start over?

normally if you are travelling with any type of firearms you would need to declare it at the airport and it would need to be in an approved locked case.

best option would be to speak to both airports about transporting it.

20 minutes ago, Tama said:

• Would it be useful to register and play one game of airsoft while over there, so that I can get a UKARA number more easily the next time I go to the uk? or is there a maximum amount of time between games before you have to start over?

"Player registration is free, to become a registered airsoft player you are required to take part in three games at the same UKARA registered game site over a minimum of two months, e.g. the third game being 56 days or more after the first." - UKARA website

3 hours ago, Tama said:

As far as Law goes:

1)What problems would I possibly face leaving the country with an two-tone that I didn't enter it with?

2)Would I have to declare it to the airport/my airline?

3)Would I be better off just treating it as a toy or treating it as an imitation firearm?

4)Would I be expected to pay any kind of extra tax?

5)I have travel insurance, is it important to mention these kinds of items for that? 

6)Would keeping it in its original packaging with a copy of the receipt be helpful?7)Would it be useful to register and play one game of airsoft while over there, so that I can get a UKARA number more easily the next time I go to the uk? or is there a maximum amount of time between games before you have to start over?

1)No particular problem to leave with it

2)They will need to be informed somehow. Check their carriage policy’s not forgetting to look for anything about weapons, sporting goods and considering what would and would not apply or could surprise the person at checkin. Also double check your laws, but I highly doubt there’s a big problem for South Africa 

3)It’s not a toy - (bit of a hint that many people fail to notice when ‘this is not a toy’ is labeled on something

But it’s also not illegal to carry. Refer to 2 and check their policies

4)Not for leaving, but the customs man might want something when you turn up in SA with new stuff (Buying here means you will pay our 20% VAT included in the price already)

5)Depends on your travel insurance 

6)Yes unless you want to smuggle it last SA Customs’s pretending you had it for ages and took it with you.  The packaging and reciept will back up the facts

7) No, as mentioned by CarloBear, unless you’re coming for long enough or regularly 

Thanks for the info all.
I've been in touch with the airline and it should be fine if I fill in the right forms, just in the process of trying to get ahold of them now x.x

also about the cases.
When people mention suitable cases does that refer to like an actual gun case? or just any hardcover(non-fabric), lockable suitcase?

I imagine that depends how much you want to protect the guns. Hardcase for sure though.
I use a Nuprol Hard Case with eggshell foam, and i use it with locks that barely fit the lock holes when transporting my guns (case fits both my aegs, plus my pistol, plus a couple of extra things, not much though) And I'd rather use that than just any random hardcase I can get hold of lol.

Pelican cases are the industry standard for this kind of thing, but they are pricey. Baggage handlers throw stuff around a lot, so whatever case you go for, make sure it's A: a hard shell case, B: well put together enough to withstand a bit of battering and C: has proper foam inserts that are cut out correctly (not just eggshell) or you'll have your barrel, grip and stock whacking the sides of the case as it gets chucked around.

Archived