Navy seals look

Oneshotonekill
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

SF loadout I imagine is the cheapest to buy. Jeans, shirt, boots, commercial vest, M4.

Good luck getting yourself in the peak physical condition to match though. The guys who used to take over from us small timers for all the serious stuff were usually ex military and they were JACKED! Nothing like a group of testosterone fuelled brutes throwing level 4 plates between each other like tennis balls to make your testicles retreat so far up into your body you wonder if you’ll ever see them again.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/30/2018 at 8:44 AM, Skara said:

Because SFs look badass..

If he doesnt know how they look how would he know they were SF? ;) 

and @Oneshotonekill you seem a little unsure of what you should wear when playing, you clearly want to copy a 'Look' As did I when I first started, I got myself a load of (not cheap) SAS gear, nomex coveralls, vest, pouches, Gas mask etc. Only to realise it was stupidly impractical and I felt like a wally (I have never enjoyed fancy dress) Then took it a little SF inspired. copying pictures from the net, but that was too restrictive, I wanted a pistol on my belt not vest, I ran two primarys so needed more pouches, didnt like helmets, couldnt find the right vest etc....

My point (and a few others in here, especially Trigger) is wear what you WANT to wear!!!

If you want to copy a look or loadout go for it, there are a zillion pictures on google available for inspiration and not to knock this place, plenty of other helpful message boards dedicated to specific units etc. That being said there are knowledgeable people on here but you will often get both sides of the coin and a lot of sarcy comments, (depending on my mood that day :P )

I currently wear hiking trousers, a primark long sleeve black tee and a black belt/rig set up to hold my gear. You do not have to look like anything to play airsoft and that is the beauty of it. You can save yourself a fortune by stripping back, not trying to be immersive and just having fun for what it is, or you can equally enjoy yourself by dropping £500 on a pair of trousers for the SF label and £1000 on a real steel optic to 'look' the part (although 90% of airsofters wont be able to spot the difference between that and a £20 ebay clone) it all depends on YOU!! Be comfortable and more importantly have FUN!!

@Gepard cheers bud it’s just I want a loadout for all round. Ie. Sniper,running and gunning etc. But what I’ve got is an osprey vest mtp trousers and jacket but it just doesn’t look right and it’s a bit bulky. But the thing is everyone then looks the bloody same. Anyone got any suggestion 

1 minute ago, Oneshotonekill said:

@Gepard cheers bud it’s just I want a loadout for all round. Ie. Sniper,running and gunning etc. But what I’ve got is an osprey vest mtp trousers and jacket but it just doesn’t look right and it’s a bit bulky. But the thing is everyone then looks the bloody same. Anyone got any suggestion 

Just play with what you have, make changes ONLY to what doesnt work or you want to change. No point dropping hundreds to copy someone elses loadout to find out it wont work for you. I speak from experience :( 

I have also learnt that there is no right look, I have seen some crazy combos on the field, no one will judge you for unmatching camo (and if they do that says more about them than you) however.. Simple plain olive green/black or basic camo patterns are available from a million websites. Its not hard to put together something you like.

And I hear you about the bulky part, unfortunately airsofters need a million things hanging off them, it has taken me a year to strip it all back. but due to the nature of the game you need at least 2/3 high caps or a dozen fricken mids to last a game, in the real world one bullet does the trick but these bloody airsfoters keep respawning so I get you need lots of mags!! 

13 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I'd question how serious they actually believe the risk is since they're choosing to wear dress up gear and relying on photographers to obfuscate their faces.

And if there was such a risk, why dress up totally operatorz? Just go in whatever and have enough face pro to obscure you.

Then Take a look at the pictures we post in the loadout thread, they're all more or less "universal" loadouts..

I had a belt that could be used with everything (chest rig, standalone, plate carrier), that was my main piece of kit..

Right now it's disassembled because I'm trying to figure out a way to make it more universal (and lighter since it had a lot of useless crap attached to) but you get the idea..

A couple of uniforms in different patterns, a couple of rigs and you're set for years..

5 minutes ago, Oneshotonekill said:

Yeah But my main problem is that when I go to a different site ie. woodland I’ve then got to change cause it’s then camouflage. If you get what I mean. 

I think you’re maybe making things more difficult on yourself, just take your time and build up ‘useful’ gear over time as you feel the need adapt.

• Mostly Retired Moderators

An olive/black set up is no worse camoflauge than MARPAT or DPM or Multicam or pink in woodland.

It's airsoft. You'll nearly always see the enemy.

You aren't engaging at 600mtr range.

• Supporters
16 hours ago, jcheeseright said:

The risk of having your head cut off in those places is not massively high (no one would go if it were), but it's not zero, so why add risk factors unnecessarily? 

Like playing dress up and relying on your face being blurred?  I find their actions speak louder than their (ostensible) words.

Bigging up the risk of your day job is also part of the game.  I have no problem with it, just don't ask me to take it seriously.

24 minutes ago, Oneshotonekill said:

Yeah But my main problem is that when I go to a different site ie. woodland I’ve then got to change cause it’s then camouflage. If you get what I mean. 

I am afraid you are too confused for us to actually help you..

Guest scalawag

An interesting thread this, indeed very interesting to see the attitudes of some towards fellow airsoft players.

I am just getting back to airsoft after a long break and I thought there might be a little more understanding here among people with a shared hobby.  

As you can see from my avatar I have in the past worn some very different costumes as a re-enactor and should I decide to come back to airsoft fully I will probably wear military style uniforms, its part of the enjoyment for me.  If you don't get that it is fine, but I would really prefer that you keep that to yourself and don't feel the need to tell me (certainly not in the way that some have here).  Even better perhaps take the time to get to know me rather than staying distant and ignorant of who I am and what I stand for.  

I may not get why you would wish to skirmish and not use military gear, but I am not going to tell you that or think any worse of you because of it.  I may think worse of you if I see you making deliberately abrasive and demeaning comments about what others do however.  At some point in life we all see something that we just don't get, but to dismiss it and ridicule it without even trying to understand it is just prejudiced.

The conversation here is also interesting in terms of "skirmishing" as a defence to buy an RIF under the VCRA.  My understanding is that the need for skirmishers to have access to RIFs was at the time argued on the grounds of "realism" at skirmish events. And after all as an RIF and an IF function in exactly the same way the only need for a realistic looking gun is to have a realistic looking impression whilst skirmishing surely.  However as some seem to be arguing here that realism for them is not a part of airsoft skirmishing and doesn't need to be for anyone, then perhaps the need for a "skirmishing" defence to buy an RIF is no longer necessary or pertanent and skirmishers would be happy to use IFs now as there is no need for any realism.

Not necessarily my views, but an interesting hypothetical extension to the the arguments of some here I think.

I just don't get why you'd wear full camo loadouts in an urban indoor setting?

Sure if I ever play a woodland site I'll likely wear greens and browns but not when skirmishing indoors in places like the Mall.

Guest scalawag
7 minutes ago, Duff said:

Sure if I ever play a woodland site I'll likely wear greens and browns but not when skirmishing indoors in places like the Mall.

I wouldn't.  I have an NCIS costume for those occasions.  But I guess for some they enjoy wearing all the kit wherever they are.  Ever seen "Act of Valour"?  Real seals in camo in urban settings at the end.  not a bad film actually.

1 hour ago, Oneshotonekill said:

I was like you, now I wear whatever, usually black or green, or a mix. It matters not!!!

46 minutes ago, Skara said:

I am afraid you are too confused for us to actually help you..

His questions have been answered, and seems to be getting more obscure the more he posts :( 

Guest scalawag

Its a great film, made using some real life SeALs who were serving at the time.  They started out as advisors for the film but then the makers ended up using them in the film.  They planned a lot of the missions portrayed and SeAL and navy training areas were used in some of the scenes.  Not the best acting, but still a great film.  Also has US navy SF riverine teams in it too.  worth a look.

43 minutes ago, scalawag said:

An interesting thread this, indeed very interesting to see the attitudes of some towards fellow airsoft players.

I am just getting back to airsoft after a long break and I thought there might be a little more understanding here among people with a shared hobby.  

As you can see from my avatar I have in the past worn some very different costumes as a re-enactor and should I decide to come back to airsoft fully I will probably wear military style uniforms, its part of the enjoyment for me.  If you don't get that it is fine, but I would really prefer that you keep that to yourself and don't feel the need to tell me (certainly not in the way that some have here).  Even better perhaps take the time to get to know me rather than staying distant and ignorant of who I am and what I stand for.  

I may not get why you would wish to skirmish and not use military gear, but I am not going to tell you that or think any worse of you because of it.  I may think worse of you if I see you making deliberately abrasive and demeaning comments about what others do however.  At some point in life we all see something that we just don't get, but to dismiss it and ridicule it without even trying to understand it is just prejudiced.

The conversation here is also interesting in terms of "skirmishing" as a defence to buy an RIF under the VCRA.  My understanding is that the need for skirmishers to have access to RIFs was at the time argued on the grounds of "realism" at skirmish events. And after all as an RIF and an IF function in exactly the same way the only need for a realistic looking gun is to have a realistic looking impression whilst skirmishing surely.  However as some seem to be arguing here that realism for them is not a part of airsoft skirmishing and doesn't need to be for anyone, then perhaps the need for a "skirmishing" defence to buy an RIF is no longer necessary or pertanent and skirmishers would be happy to use IFs now as there is no need for any realism.

Not necessarily my views, but an interesting hypothetical extension to the the arguments of some here I think.

I get what your saying with the RIF and IF issue and thats a bloody good point and totaly valid, worth a discussion in a separate topic for sure! , personally I wouldn't care if my gun was neon yellow with diamonds on (would be fun... one for Geartec methinks :P )  for a lot of people its the immersion, which is understandable, however its pointless in nearly all airsoft situations its just fluff. I dont really have the disposable income anymore to build loadouts or have different guns and kit for different scenarios as a skirmish for me is shooting people, be it in camo, black or a unicorn onesie. As long as I have a working gun im happy. 

Not all see it this way and thats fine!

11 minutes ago, Duff said:

I would like to assume most of the full camo weirdos at The Mall are woodland players who fancied a change (most of em play like it hahah :P ) 

• Supporters
36 minutes ago, scalawag said:

Snip

I think maybe you misunderstand the issue.

I personally don't get the dressing up side as to be honest I find it bizarre but I don't see any harm in it either. The problem comes from the fact that a lot of people see the dress up as more important than the game and the whole toy soldiers bit takes over.

Airsoft is not pretend soldiers its a generally high speed full contact hide and seek. Now if someone wants to play super serious then that is catered for in milsim which I see as a whole different pastime. The simple thing is play airsoft for airsoft and if you choose to dress up then dress up for airsoft but please don't airsoft to dress up.

Re-enactment is again a whole different thing and I appreciate the effort people put in but not everything from it can transfer across as greatcoats for one are just big heavy bb shields.

1 minute ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Airsoft is not pretend soldiers its a generally high speed full contact hide and seek.

LOVE this quote... 

Guest scalawag
22 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

I think maybe you misunderstand the issue.

I personally don't get the dressing up side as to be honest I find it bizarre but I don't see any harm in it either. The problem comes from the fact that a lot of people see the dress up as more important than the game and the whole toy soldiers bit takes over.

Airsoft is not pretend soldiers its a generally high speed full contact hide and seek. Now if someone wants to play super serious then that is catered for in milsim which I see as a whole different pastime. The simple thing is play airsoft for airsoft and if you choose to dress up then dress up for airsoft but please don't airsoft to dress up.

Re-enactment is again a whole different thing and I appreciate the effort people put in but not everything from it can transfer across as greatcoats for one are just big heavy bb shields.

No I can see where you are coming from, but I think a little more tolerance is called for.  

Some will go for milsim events were the immersion is as full as possible.  My understanding is that those can be few and far between and can have all sorts of rules or equipment requirements that may exclude some.  

Skirmishing will attract all sorts of people who will enjoy it for all sorts of reasons.  You will always have a range of players from those who see it as just a game to those who will see it as a lot more.  The reality is there would probably be no airsoft skirmishing without all of them.

Interestingly the same thing does happen in re-enacting.  You get some who are very much into the accuracy and authenticity of what they do down to the correct makers stamps in their underwear, and others for whom the hobby is a weekend away in their caravan wearing a wooly uniform.  Again the reality to being able to put on a re-enactment is that you need both and everything in between for it to be viable as a reenactment.  The authentics can be driven to distraction by the not so authentic and vice versa, but everyone has to find a way to get along as at the end of the day they know that they could not put on any sort of event without each other.

I think it is really about making the effort to try and get along with whatever someone enjoys rather than trying to change others or tell them that they should enjoy things in a different way.

2 minutes ago, scalawag said:

So as per my original post arguing against the need for RIFs in skirmishing then?

But the appeal of Airsoft is the guns are pretty realistic.  Otherwise we might as well have Nerf guns or supersoakers!! 

Guest scalawag
23 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

But the appeal of Airsoft is the guns are pretty realistic.  Otherwise we might as well have Nerf guns or supersoakers!! 

Sorry I deleted my post as I felt it was rather superfluous when I read it back but you had already quoted it.

I agree that is probably much of the appeal of airsoft guns but "I like my airsoft guns to be realistic looking" is not a defence elsewhere in the airsoft community.  If you are a collector or target shooter the argument is always it does not need to look realistic to use it in those activities.  The type of gameplay described here does not "need" the guns involved to be realistic looking either. If Airsoft skirmishing is just "a generally high speed full contact hide and seek." then I can see little reason why RIFs are "required" for it.  Guns that are brightly coloured or don't look like real weapons would be just as good.  As I said previously the defence for skirmishing was presented on the "need for realism", so skirmishing must be more than what was described or it should fall in the same category as collecting and target shooting and not have a defence under the VCRA.

Guest scalawag
3 minutes ago, Oneshotonekill said:

@scalawag hi bud good to know there’s another person who likes wearing the full military kit. Does any one know where I could find usmc digital marpat,trousers and shirt/ubac? :) 

Thanks.;)

have you tried googling USMC marpat? you can also restrict the google search to sites in the UK to avoid turning up all the US sites selling it.

Archived