Best speed loaders

DiceyRicey
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello

Looking for the best speed loader (and value for money!), to fill my new Nuprol mid cap N mags 125 rounds?

any advice/ opinions, gratefully received!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never had an issue with the standard cheapo speed loaders. 

Apart from losing a couple, but they are cheap enough I dont care :P 

• Supporters

Standard speed loader has always worked fine for me. 

Winders looking interesting but they seem expensive for what they do.

After a few games using the usual magazine sized speedloader...getting cramp in the fingers when re-loading between games is a pain...so I bought a Nuprol speed loader (with the winding arm) and it loads the mags in seconds.

Take a speed loader magazine with you on the field for refilling a couple of mags when playing..then back at base use the speedloader with winder to quickly re-fill all your mags.  I might even try loading up my speedloader with a few thousands bb's..then carry it in my dump pouch to reload when out. (My site usually plays quite a few games before going back to safe zone)

There are several winding arm loaders on the market now...all cheaper knock-offs of the Odin M12 speedloader.

cccp-cyclone-m4-speedloader-black-2.jpg

I have an official Odin M12 sidewinder, along with PTS EPM midcaps (150rds).
There are guys out there 3D printing adapters to make the M12 fit any mag, but for me and my M4 midcaps its great. Can't really go wrong with 1600rd capacity (other than the rattle, which im trying to find a way to help nullify, thinking of putting an insert in on a slider or something, compress the bbs down to limit vertical movements)
Expensive though (like £60 or something)
But for the speed of reloads once you get the hang of it is worth the money imo (never hit the 4 seconds per mag they advertise but i can still get my mags done faster than my teammates)

I do have a standard speedloader for my pistol, and I have tried using it on  the midcaps but my thumb cramped up way too easily lol, hence my investment in an Odin.

http://prntscr.com/ib2tyl

I do have a standard small bb loader, will switch to a real odin one as soon as I have the money (want to support the guy who actually got the idea, not some big multinational company that copied his design)..

The small one works fine but it takes ages to reload all my midcaps (have to refill the loader every mag and a half)

4 minutes ago, Skara said:

I do have a standard small bb loader, will switch to a real odin one as soon as I have the money (want to support the guy who actually got the idea, not some big multinational company that copied his design)..

The small one works fine but it takes ages to reload all my midcaps (have to refill the loader every mag and a half)

i have to reload my small loader after 100 or so rounds lol, so i get 2/3rds of a mag per full load... so it's a lot easier to use the sidewinder for me.

That's true, the price tag is high, but the quality imo justifies the price..

Just by looking at pictures you can tell that the knock offs wouldn't last nearly half as long as the real deal.. I'm also quite sure that if for whatever reason a piece breaks, you can contact Odin Innovations and they'll send the replacement piece instead of forcing you to buy a new one (spending as much as the OI one xD)

it's exactly like the same old "high end vs low cost" aeg discussion, yes, the cheaper aeg is cheaper, but sooner or later you're going to spend a lot of money on it to reach high end-like performance 

1 minute ago, Skara said:

That's true, the price tag is high, but the quality imo justifies the price..

Just by looking at pictures you can tell that the knock offs wouldn't last nearly half as long as the real deal.. I'm also quite sure that if for whatever reason a piece breaks, you can contact Odin Innovations and they'll send the replacement piece instead of forcing you to buy a new one (spending as much as the OI one xD)

It's a gearless drive... literally the only thing you can break is the handle lol, unless the slip clutch plate snaps or something, which it shouldn't do. (the knock off one pictured is the CCP one, my mate bought one of them and the slip clutch broke down and he had to super glue it together halfway through loading his first PTS EPM lol)

I'll get a picture of the insides if my phone turns back on tonight (damn rubbish charger cables, dont charge a phone at any decent rate)

pictures now:
the handle literally directly turns the feeder which pushes the bbs down the nozzle.

http://prntscr.com/ib2ta3

http://prntscr.com/ib2tgp

http://prntscr.com/ib2tou

You won't break one of these unless you abuse it.

I just use the 90 round cheapo pistol shaped speed loader. Takes up feck all room, and as I run gas guns, that tiny loader will refill 3 of my mags. In a quick paced 3 hour CQB game 5 mags (plus a loaded pistol) and the speedloader is enough for me usually. 

Do you all carry the Odin into game with you? If you do, why not use high caps as you sound like a meracca anyway? And if you don’t, do you really need to load the mags so quickly? If it was £20 I’d buy one, but I don’t feel like what I’m doing now is hindering me enough to justify £60

• Head Moderator

Still just using the TM M4 style loader, works very well.

2 hours ago, Wo1f said:

Do you all carry the Odin into game with you? If you do, why not use high caps as you sound like a meracca anyway? And if you don’t, do you really need to load the mags so quickly? If it was £20 I’d buy one, but I don’t feel like what I’m doing now is hindering me enough to justify £60

I do in fact carry mine all game (woodland games 2-3 hours long), because i only carry 3 midcaps for weight reasons (mild sciatica can hinder me if i stack lots of mags on my rig due to weight on the spine and all that) and need decent speed reloads in order to keep up.

Some people keep their Odin's at the safe zone but they carry like 8 midcaps and 2 hi caps spare. Which is a lot of bbs in stock to use.

As for sounding like a maracca, its not as bad as you would intially think (it's 1 rattling box, compared to 3+ rattling boxes...) Best option is too move slow. Which is easy enough in woodlands, but with it in my admin pocket the noise is further muffled by the smock and the rig holding it down... Its still loud as i start to run out of bbs in it, but never been at the point where its given me away.

As for CQB i haven't tried yet so im unsure if ill carry it with me. 

Its just my preference since im limited to how many mags i can carry on my rig at once, as well as the fact it carries more bbs in less space and weight than hi caps. Which is good for my back and good for long games like at my main site.

That’s fair enough. I can see why it’s a handy item for you to carry. 

4 minutes ago, Wo1f said:

That’s fair enough. I can see why it’s a handy item for you to carry. 

Glad you see it that way for my situation :) not everyone does.

And I like many others who have Odin loaders... Have the Odin one to support the guy who had the idea first... (Paying extra to make a point)... That and the fact the CCCP and other knockoffs are so cheaply made, break so easily and look so bad that £20 is a ripoff for them lol. (major lack of quality control in the CCCP one, they always seem to have chips and cracks in the plastic when you buy one)

While I have no need for it because of my choice of weapon/play style, I can certainly see why it could be useful now. The way I look at it is, if you can justify it, then it’s worth it. You can, and I can’t, but I won’t say it’s sh*t just because it has no use to me. 

I agree with you on the buying from from the original designer. Although that’s virtually impossible in airsoft lol. 

• Supporters

I don’t carry it with me as like you say, maraca effect! But between games I’d much rather sit down and have a drink or a chat than spend 10 mins loading magazines.  Given how often magazines have to be loaded I see it as a decent investment in saved time, especially since I can fill the loader up at the start of the day and that’ll definitely last me.  

Also, at a weekend milsim game sometimes you’ll get 20 mins of downtime between ‘stuff’, I’d rather spend one minute topping up magazines and 19 minutes eating! 

21 hours ago, LightningCh said:

i have to reload my small loader after 100 or so rounds lol, so i get 2/3rds of a mag per full load...

Thats what the M4 mag size speed loaders are for ;) 

2 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

Thats what the M4 mag size speed loaders are for ;) 

But I have a sidewinder instead :P

Sidewinder for my M4 mags, and then a 100rd one for pistol mags. 

48 minutes ago, LightningCh said:

But I have a sidewinder instead :P

Sidewinder for my M4 mags, and then a 100rd one for pistol mags. 

I load my pistol mags by hand lol, with the speedloader I can't properly fill a mag (cuz I'm stupid)

Archived