Cleaning Rod

steakandpotato
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just a few questions about cleaning rods - 

1) Do you need specific rods for specific guns/style of guns?

2) The barrel of my gun is long - L85A2 long. Does this change things?

3) Any recommendations on cleaning rods?

Thank you

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

It shouldn't matter. Obviously using one that's in length with the barrel will help. 

I use a cigarette filter and silicone oil and then push it through the barrel with a cleaning rod and repeat as needed. Works great. 

Usually your gun would come with one but if it didn't I'm sure you can get one online fairly cheaply. 

Length is important (ohh err mrs :D )

As the rod needs to reach right down the barrel to get all the "muck" out. I use the one my son got with his L96 which is about 2ft long for every weapon I have.

Everyone has their own way of cleaning their barrel and I suspect everyone does it a slightly different way.

Personally i use alcohol dipped swabs, the kind of thing the doctor uses to wipe your skin before an injection. You can get them in 100s for a couple of £ on ebay.

Wrap that around the end of the rod and clean up and down the barrel a few times changing each time until it comes out clean.

Leave for a few mins for the alcohol to evaporate and pop back in the case/bag.

HTH

alan

• Supporters

I'm struggling to picture how putting something viscous in the barrel stops anything building up, or what it is that's coming off the BBs.

If it's lube being flung off the gears and blown out by the piston then it's already contaminated the bucking, and you'll need a solvent or surfactant to remove it.

tl;dr version - Y U NO use alcohol?

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

I'm struggling to picture how putting something viscous in the barrel stops anything building up, or what it is that's coming off the BBs.

If it's lube being flung off the gears and blown out by the piston then it's already contaminated the bucking, and you'll need a solvent or surfactant to remove it.

tl;dr version - Y U NO use alcohol?

That's just how I was taught. I'll have a look into alcohol. Granted it's only recently I began to take apart my guns so there's probably much better ways of doing it. Before that there was a bunch of muck in the barrel and the method I used worked great at getting it all out. 

I know @Marc.RG1 cleans his inner barrels with bisley cleaning patches, (Going off his Hi Capa 5.1 maintenance video) what's actually on them I don't know lol, but he also says a cotton t shirt cut into the size strips also works so I guess it's just no fluids involved. Literally any cleaning rod that can reach down the barrel will work with this option lol.

Yeah the Bisley cleaning patches work great, they work great on RS, Airguns or Airsoft I have been using them on all 3 for years, although on the RS we use different things for different guns, but back to the airsoft,  The .177 or .22 Bisley cleaning patches work great on airsoft barrels, the cloth fabric is also good as it can not scratch the brass on even the cheapest of standard inner barrels, but it has enough of a texture to give the barrel a nice clean even when used dry, you can use a bore cleaner on the patch but it's not necessary if you don't let your barrel get to dirty to begin with.. So many people have different techniques and ways and use different products to clean their guns, but you seen how I do some on mine mate. 

ATB Marc 

• Supporters
On 22/01/2018 at 11:06 PM, Gepard said:

It shouldn't matter. Obviously using one that's in length with the barrel will help. 

I use a cigarette filter and silicone oil and then push it through the barrel with a cleaning rod and repeat as needed. Works great. 

Usually your gun would come with one but if it didn't I'm sure you can get one online fairly cheaply. 

Silicone oil in your barrel?! Are you mad? That’ll attract dirt like a magnet. 

You want the inside of the barrel to be bone dry and sparkly clean, use isopropyl alcohol instead. 

• Root Admin

This might be worth a look:

tl;dr

• Never clean with silicone (isopropyl alcohol is a proper solvent and will actually clean that dirt out of the barrel)
  • As above: clean with isopropyl alcohol (the choice of cigarette filter, bits of cloth or kitchen towel is yours)
  • Applying a thin coating of silicone should make your barrel less susceptible to picking up residue from certain BBs and can potentially decrease the long-term build-up of this residue in your barrel

• Supporters
2 hours ago, jcheeseright said:

Silicone oil in your barrel?! Are you mad? That’ll attract dirt like a magnet. 

You want the inside of the barrel to be bone dry and sparkly clean, use isopropyl alcohol instead. 

That makes a lot of sense. I'll stop doing it immediately. Thanks for the suggestion. Alcohol seems like a much better method anyway. 

edit: Oh wow, now that I've researched this I'm embarrased to have recommended silicone oil. It would seem it makes the barrel even dirtier. Please disregard my previous comment. That was some bad advise. 

I don't use any alcohol or liquids at all cleaning my barrel - I use a lens cloth wrapped through my cleaning rod - one end is looped to push a cloth through, the other end is 6mm diameter and angled to push out jammed BBs. Every couple of months I use this dry lens cloth and give it a good polish on the inside until it shines.

• Root Admin
9 hours ago, Gepard said:

That makes a lot of sense. I'll stop doing it immediately. Thanks for the suggestion. Alcohol seems like a much better method anyway. 

edit: Oh wow, now that I've researched this I'm embarrased to have recommended silicone oil. It would seem it makes the barrel even dirtier. Please disregard my previous comment. That was some bad advise. 

As per the other thread, not 100% true but certainly true in the way most people use it.

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, proffrink said:

As per the other thread, not 100% true but certainly true in the way most people use it.

Still, if there are better ways of doing something I'm all for adopting those methods. I'll certainly be using alcohol from here on. 

Take the barrel and the hop out. Put the cleaning rod down the muzzle and look through the hop until you can see that the cleaning rod is just short of the rubber. Put a bit of tape round the cleaning rod as a depth marker.

• Root Admin
9 hours ago, Gepard said:

Still, if there are better ways of doing something I'm all for adopting those methods. I'll certainly be using alcohol from here on. 

Did you actually see the above though? The argument is that both are optimal in many cases, so long as done correctly.

Just to add - If you cant get hold of cleaning rods thick gauge washing like it good.. I cut mine to the length I require and then cap with some heat shrink to avoid any issues with damaging the inner barrel if any of the inner line is exposed. The reason i use this is because its malleable and can be rolled down to fit somewhere like a pocket, handy when marshaling and rentals come back with their guns jammed because they have done a javelin move into the mud.

Well every days a school day, Ive been suing silicone oil soaked strips of cloth, wrapped around the rod, for years. Ive never had a problem with it, the rags come out filthy so it must be doing a good job of cleaning out the gunk. But I'll be switching over to alcohol (good idea ramming the skin cleaning swabs down a barrel, Ive got about a billion of them lying around) and seeing how that does in comparison. 

• 2 months later...

Sorry for bumping an older thread, but I didn't see the point in opening a new one... I've been using Isopropyl Alcohol wipes to clean my barrels, however today I have opened up the Falkor Reccee to try and figure out why it is so erratic with the hop on. At first I put it down to simply playing in minus temperatures all the time I've had it. However a few games now it has been reasonable and it's still "weird". SO time to look into it. 

I opened it and removed the hop, and found silicon grease everywhere...Cleaned it all off and the hob nub and rubber seem in ok condition. However the barrel I can't get completely clean. It's almost like there is a rough patch in it. Does anyone use any sort of pipe cleaner like brush to clean their barrels?

Have any of you ever used Abbey degreasing spray?

How often is it advisable to remove the barrel and hop up to clean the barrel.

Isopropyl alcohol is good stuff and evaporates quickly leaving no grease behind. Best thing I've ever used for cleaning out airgun cylinders.

I just wonder though: if it came into contact with the hop up rubber would it do any damage?

Archived