Can I respray a two tone gun black but add an orange tip without a licence?

Will Cuthill
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi I'm 14 and I'm new to airsoft, I haven't been to any games yet but am looking to very soon. I'm also interested in using airsoft for movies and other projects like that.

I've been wanting to respray my two tone glock black but I do not have a licence yet as I'm only 14, as you have to have a two tone gun or at least a gun with a 6mm orange tip I was wondering if there is any law that wouldn't allow me to spray my gun black but add a 6mm orange tip afterwards. Because two tone guns don't have orange tips, like i said i'd have to add my own straight after.

14 minutes ago, Will Cuthill said:

Hi I'm 14 and I'm new to airsoft, I haven't been to any games yet but am looking to very soon. I'm also interested in using airsoft for movies and other projects like that.

I've been wanting to respray my two tone glock black but I do not have a licence yet as I'm only 14, as you have to have a two tone gun or at least a gun with a 6mm orange tip I was wondering if there is any law that wouldn't allow me to spray my gun black but add a 6mm orange tip afterwards. Because two tone guns don't have orange tips, like i said i'd have to add my own straight after.

There are no laws surrounding orange tips iirc are you confusing UK law with US law?

• Supporters

There's no licence. Only a defense. As you are under 18 and without a defense it would be illegal for you to convert your two tone into a RIF. Also, there are no need for orange tips. That only applies to the US.

Instead what you could do is use a rifle wrap and cover the two toned areas when you go and play.

2 minutes ago, Gepard said:

There's no licence. Only a defense. As you are under 18 and without a defense it would be illegal for you to convert your two tone into a RIF. Also, there are no need for orange tips. That only applies to the US.

Instead what you could do is use a rifle wrap and cover the two toned areas when you go and play.

Oh ok, thats a good idea. Thanks

• Supporters
Just now, Will Cuthill said:

Oh ok, thats a good idea. Thanks

Have a read through the pinned posts in the New Players and Arrivals section. I think it would help you with the basics of Airsoft.

• Supporters
13 hours ago, jcheeseright said:

Short answer to your question; 

no, it’s illegal.

Correct.  A person is guilty of an offence if he modifies an imitation firearm so that it becomes a realistic imitation firearm.

However, it shall be a defence in proceedings for [that offence] for the person charged with the offence to show that his conduct was for the purpose only of making the imitation firearm in question available for the organisation and holding of permitted activities for which public liability insurance is held in relation to liabilities to third parties arising from or in connection with the organisation and holding of those activities.(*cough* airsoft *cough*)

I can't see an age limit on that defence.  A UKARA number would help to prove it, but it's neither necessary nor guaranteed to be sufficient. I RIF'd my IFs on the basis that I had further skirmishes pre-booked, and so could "show" the purpose of my conduct.

The pragmatic view is that nobody in the airsoft community is going to care, and the State isn't going to take an interest as long as you transport and use the RIF sensibly.

If on the other hand you run around in public with realistic looking guns filming yourself for YouTube, then God help you because nobody here will.  Please save it for private, secured land.

Under 18 you cannot buy an IF or RIF and can not earn yourself the status of an ‘airsoft skirmisher’ under UKARA etc, (but while 17 in the lead up to your 18th you could get your games in and be signed up on your birthday)

You can be gifted an IF or RIF ... but only the RIF from someone who is able to obtain one themselves

As Rogerborg says, there is the explicit statement to prevent modifying plus the defence if modifying for a valid purpose 

Orange tips are a bugbear of mine.  Once upon a time, a very long time ago, when I was young .......

We had toy guns that looked like guns, and they could shoot balls, darts (rubber & otherwise) etc.  

We also had toy guns with orange tips.  That orange tip meant it could not shoot anything and wouldn’t take your eye out 

Now the Americans have orange tips for guns that aren’t full firearms.  

They do shoot things and also aren’t toys (nor are two tones)

The orange tip isn’t UK legal, so if you paint a two tone black then theres no point in adding an orange tip 

Not very many are going to complain that you painted your IF, but some tape or wrap is the path of least resistance and leaves you an unblemished two tone to sell or give away  if it’s still running in 4 years 

On 19/01/2018 at 8:49 PM, Rogerborg said:

If on the other hand you run around in public with realistic looking guns filming yourself for YouTube, then God help you because nobody here will.  Please save it for private, secured land.

Oh no that's not my intention, if I ever end up filming it will be on a private area with permission. I would never bring an airsoft gun out in public, even if it was two tone.

• Head Moderator
12 minutes ago, steakandpotato said:

Section 40-A of the Violent Crime Reduction Act

As stated above, under 18 cannot legally purchase and IF or RIF, and it is an offense to sell them one (S.40 VCRA).  If they do have one (i.e. gifted to them) then no law is broken because ownership is not a crime, however, the method in which the IF or RIF was obtained could fall under S.40.

Archived