New to Airsoft

Unknown_Ghost
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All,

I’m new to airsoft and so far and I have only played one game and guess what???? I loooooved it, loved it so much that I just cannot wait for my second go this coming Sunday, hopefully.

I would like a global advice on entry level equipment that I should be considering in buying and upgrading. I already have my first signature where on my 3rd I will be applying for my UKARA license, in the mean-time a good buddy of mine will be buying my RIF gun. 

Look forward to one day playing with many of you guys based on this forum.

Bruno

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).  Read all the pinned (sticky) topics in each of the sections, lots of useful information for a new player.  The search tool has a 3 character minimum length.

• Supporters

Welcome. Glad you had a good time.

The pinned posts are a good source of information for any new player.  

Best to buy your face protection first and then decide on what gun to buy. Clothing is up to you. Buy or use something you don't mind getting dirty and is comfortable to play in. I would advise kneepads. 

I will always recommend the CM16 as a good entry level M4 but if you've got a higher budget pretty much anything by Tokyo Mariu will work great.  

Over 18 without a defense can buy two tone replicas (51% painted in a bright colour such as red or blue).

Over 18 with a defense can purchase a RIF (real imitation firearm).

• Head Moderator
9 hours ago, Unknown_Ghost said:

As my first primary weapon I’m thinking between the following:

Please do not create duplicate topics (re-read the forum rules).

If you want the separate topic, which makes sense in the Guns,Gear & Loadout section, then edit your original post (OP) above and remove the gun question. That way all answers are in the same place and and I do not need to merge the topics.

2 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

Please do not create duplicate topics (re-read the forum rules).

If you want the separate topic, which makes sense in the Guns,Gear & Loadout section, then edit your original post (OP) above and remove the gun question. That way all answers are in the same place and and I do not need to merge the topics.

Hi @Jedi_Master

Apologies in advance for the duplicate post. I have now edited this original post to something else. 

Oh, and thank you for the heads-up on the sticky post. I have a thorough look and was mega helpful. 

Thanks,

Bruno

11 hours ago, Gepard said:

Welcome. Glad you had a good time.

The pinned posts are a good source of information for any new player.  

Best to buy your face protection first and then decide on what gun to buy. Clothing is up to you. Buy or use something you don't mind getting dirty and is comfortable to play in. I would advise kneepads. 

I will always recommend the CM16 as a good entry level M4 but if you've got a higher budget pretty much anything by Tokyo Mariu will work great.  

Over 18 without a defense can buy two tone replicas (51% painted in a bright colour such as red or blue).

Over 18 with a defense can purchase a RIF (real imitation firearm).

Hi @Gepard

Thanks for the info, dude. I will be looking into this now.

Hi @Unknown_Ghost

welcome to the forum. Out of curiosity where was your first game at/where are you local to?

as has been mentioned protection is key, don’t scrimp on cheapo copies get the real stuff that’s both comfortable and you can put your trust in to keep you safe.

cheers

rich

@richmt11

It was in Holmesbush Farm, in between Crawley and Horsham in West Sussex. Where abouts are you based?

It it was pretty awesome, going to another new site on Saturday. 

On thursday I’m going shopping for airsoft so I will be getting some outfit and vest and other bits.

Thanks,

Bruno

@Unknown_Ghost I’m based near Cambridge, so not anywhere close!

remember for your UKARA, whilst you require 3 signatures most sites will not sign you onto the database unless all 3 are with them. I don’t know it’s thats a requirement but was my experience when I games d at several different places and they all said the same. So I’d check that the site you’ve been to will sign you on with a signature from somewhere else, and that the other place your going to will even sign the form. Otherwise you may just be better going to the same place for now?

cheers

rich

12 hours ago, Unknown_Ghost said:

@richmt11

It was in Holmesbush Farm, in between Crawley and Horsham in West Sussex. Where abouts are you based?

It it was pretty awesome, going to another new site on Saturday. 

On thursday I’m going shopping for airsoft so I will be getting some outfit and vest and other bits.

Thanks,

Bruno

Was that dogtag/near dogtag?

1 hour ago, richmt11 said:

@Unknown_Ghost I’m based near Cambridge, so not anywhere close!

remember for your UKARA, whilst you require 3 signatures most sites will not sign you onto the database unless all 3 are with them. I don’t know it’s thats a requirement but was my experience when I games d at several different places and they all said the same. So I’d check that the site you’ve been to will sign you on with a signature from somewhere else, and that the other place your going to will even sign the form. Otherwise you may just be better going to the same place for now?

cheers

rich

The legislation doesn’t state its one venue, but that’s how UKARA sites tend to do it

I am aware of a university airsoft society that were able to establish themselves as UKARA issuers against their events because they use a variety of venues

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Tommikka said:

The legislation

[citation needed]

1 hour ago, Tommikka said:

doesn’t state its one venue, but that’s how UKARA sites tend to do it

http://ukara.org.uk/

"Player registration is free, to become a registered airsoft player you are required to take part in three games at the same UKARA registered game site"

Registration is free but I believe renewal usually incurs a fee. Or is that dependent on the site?

VCRA section 37, specific defences (does not include airsoft skirmishing)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/37

Those purposes are—

(a)the purposes of a museum or gallery;

(b)the purposes of theatrical performances and of rehearsals for such performances;

(c)the production of films (within the meaning of Part 1 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (c. 48)_see section 5B of that Act);

(d)the production of television programmes (within the meaning of the Communications Act 2003 (c. 21)_see section 405(1) of that Act);

(e)the organisation and holding of historical re-enactments organised and held by persons specified or described for the purposes of this section by regulations made by the Secretary of State;

(f)the purposes of functions that a person has in his capacity as a person in the service of Her Majesty.

So the easy answer is there is no legislation permitting airsoft use, let alone at a single, multiple sites or any time period

But various sections give ‘the Secretary of State can....’ and this is how the Skirmisher defence is provided 

Don’t have to hand or quickly findable the quotes/references on the additional info for Airsoft, but recall it as recognising skirmishing at site’s with public liability insurance as a permitted activity

WHAT ARE THE VCRA AND THE SKIRMISHERS DEFENCE?

The part of the VCRA that pertains to Airsoft replicas is essentially a piece of legislation designed to prevent RIFs (realistic imitation firearms) from being purchased by irresponsible people who might use them to intimidate members of the public. A few specific defences and exceptions (valid reasons for purchasing RIFs) were added to the act to prevent legitimate hobbyists like us from being unfairly restricted. This defence was an agreement between the Airsoft community (represented by the Association of British Airsoft, now disbanded) and the government. The arrangement is subject to ongoing monitoring by the Home Office. The Home Secretary is able to withdraw or modify the arrangement without consulting parliament.

https://www.ukapu.org.uk/about/frequently-asked-questions/

I can give info on the UKPSFs later work with the Home Office about MagFed and the VCRA, or also a police commissioners study which felt almost every paintball gun could be a RIF due to non expert opinion under the VCRA, Home Office letter to the UKPSF is on the basis that either VCRA does not apply because of paintball guns being low powered air weapons in the firearms acts and frangibility of Paintball’s or that UKPSF membership could be recognised by the Home Office / courts as a Paintballers skirmisher/approved activities

https://p8ntballer-forums.com/threads/paintball-and-the-law.171875/

@Tommikka @Rogerborg @richmt11 @Duff

That's right. At this site, for the license, you pay £10 one-off fee and after 3 signatures on the application form from the same site, you get the license.

Perhaps, the £10 is for the fees or something. Because each time I visit the site with my own equipment that's another £25 per visit.

33 minutes ago, Unknown_Ghost said:

@CarloBear 

That's only 1 hour away from me. I might go there one day. Take pictures of the what site looks like so, I can see.

Why is it called "The Mall"? Is it indoors?

It’s the old Reading shopping centre

(When I played there) there were places where you could see shoppers outside in the street through the cracks in the roller security barriers on the front glass

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Unknown_Ghost said:

@Tommikka @Rogerborg @richmt11 @Duff

That's right. At this site, for the license, you pay £10 one-off fee and after 3 signatures on the application form from the same site, you get the license.

Perhaps, the £10 is for the fees or something. Because each time I visit the site with my own equipment that's another £25 per visit.

probably whats called Admin as GMA do the same (when i get there this year). At Firesupport sites ,you pay no fees. Others may differ

1 hour ago, Unknown_Ghost said:

@steakandpotato

Dude, that's the one. However, never knew it was called Dogtag until you pointed it out. But it's in the same location. Have you been there before?

Bruno

Yes. Twice. Once was a day-event, the other a night spec ops event.

@Unknown_Ghost sorry I didn’t meant for the UKARA debate to spark our. Just your initial message was that you was keen to get a number. But was just saying be cautious and go to one site for now to ensure you get it. But it’s up to you how to proceed. My missus only allows me to go “play war” once a month so I had to go that route before I could buy my gun.

Archived