True-To-Faith British Army Loudout

steakandpotato
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello!

I've done some googling and its getting pretty confusing so I was hoping someone here would be bang-on knowledgeable about what the BA infantry carry?

So far I've got:

MTP Shirt

O.D. Green T-Shirt

MTP Trousers

Altberg Brown Boots

Tan combat gloves

MK.7 Helmet

G17

L85A2

I'm mainly curious in terms of the on-body gear. I believe they were MTP PLCE Webbing Yoke with Osprey Plate Carrier, but I also see bergens and such being carried.

Also - where do they carry their glocks? Seen pictures of drop-leg but seen videos of it being attached to their PLCE belt. Confusing the life out of me

If anyone could provide links to buyable equipment that fits the bill, that'd be wonderful.

• Supporters

I don't have extensive knowledge on the subject but I did used to run an impression kit. Don't run it much nowadays, but here's what I came up with: 

Mk6 w/scrim 

MTP UBACS

Osprey MKIV w/ 3 elastic + 2 single mag pouches, medic pouch, admin panel

MTP Pants

95 work belt w/ Retention holster for Glock (although not pictured)

Mk7s are illegal to own at the moment I think as are MKIV plates. Most of my gear I got on eBay. Just do a quick search and you'll find it. I never carried a backpack with me whilst playing. 

Note that a 'shirt' is a contentious subject in the British Army.  There hasn't been a combat shirt for many years.

The items commonly thought to be shirts are the 95 pattern 'lightweight jacket' and its PCS replacement, that also explains why a t-shirt is worn under it.  UBACS is a combat shirt, but is a pull over 'shirt'.

There was only a plain shirt in barrack dress, and recently an MTP pattern barrack shirt has been introduced, and isn't to be worn in the field etc.

The uniform and equipment worn in the field can vary depending on circumstances.  Use some of the links below as a guide, with the black bag which can change over time showing the kit handed over on deployment and an example loadout on the WIKI

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/british-troops-black-bag-of-kit

https://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/Black_Bag_A5_booklet.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_British_Army

PLCE should not really be used with Osprey as the latter combines load carrying.

VIRTUS is in ongoing trials and some units will be using it

Have a look out for specific photosets or video as examples and select a style in use

17 hours ago, Gepard said:

I don't have extensive knowledge on the subject but I did used to run an impression kit. Don't run it much nowadays, but here's what I came up with: 

Mk6 w/scrim 

MTP UBACS

MTP Pants

Mk7s are illegal to own at the moment I think as are MKIV plates. Most of my gear I got on eBay. Just do a quick search and you'll find it. I never carried a backpack with me whilst playing. 

2017-08-24_12.11.57.jpg

That kit looks amazing man. How comes you don't run it much anymore?

I take it your sidearm was attached to the belt itself as opposed to drop leg? I keep seeing mixed pictures

• Supporters

Thanks. :D In short, running around in this kit for 6 hours really wears you out, especially the lid. I like the look of the American stuff better and it's much more comfortable to play in. 

That's right, I had it in some sort of retention holster on my belt but I forget the brand. Just use what works for you. There's no uniform regs in Airsoft so set up your kit how you like. 

8 minutes ago, jcheeseright said:

If you wanna look really ally, ECBA and PLCE webbing is the way forward. 

What is ECBA sorry?

11 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Thanks. :D In short, running around in this kit for 6 hours really wears you out, especially the lid. I like the look of the American stuff better and it's much more comfortable to play in. 

That's right, I had it in some sort of retention holster on my belt but I forget the brand. Just use what works for you. There's no uniform regs in Airsoft so set up your kit how you like. 

I can imagine! However for me that's part of it. I like pushing my limits. Your kit looks perfect for me, although the more I search around the more I'm warming up to the idea of some PLCE yoke webbings also.

I can't wait to get a helmet - although I imagine it can be incredibly difficult to deal with until you get used to it.

I know there's no regs, so I'll eventually get whatever does work the best, however I'm really aiming for as true a uniform as possible. At least as a basis anyway.

• Supporters

ECBA was the armour issued before the Osprey if my memory serves. I've never seen anybody use it at any of the fields I've been to so you'd certainly look unique.

edit: Just to add, you're only going to be able to use certain eyepro with the MK6. My Bollè Trackers for instance do not fit however my ESS ICE do. Additionally your comms options are also restricted. You will only be able to use over-ear or earpieces as there is no room for full headsets. 

18 minutes ago, Gepard said:

ECBA was the armour issued before the Osprey if my memory serves. I've never seen anybody use it at any of the fields I've been to so you'd certainly look unique.

edit: Just to add, you're only going to be able to use certain eyepro with the MK6. My Bollè Trackers for instance do not fit however my ESS ICE do. Additionally your comms options are also restricted. You will only be able to use over-ear or earpieces as there is no room for full headsets. 

In terms of comms we were planning on getting a radio setup going.

The MK6 will probably be one of the last pieces of kit I get for the whole setup so I'm not too worried about eyepro for now - but good to keep in mind.

Out of curiosity, I'm assuming you ran an L85?

• Supporters

An ICS L85. The best gun I ever owned. Had to sell it a year ago for cash but if I could get another right now I would. 

CBA was Combat Body Armour

ECBA was Enhanced Combat Body Armour

Kestrel and Osprey came next

VIRTUS is a complete integrated system for the ‘future soldier’

All of these are different designs and different technologies and relate to the current threat of any mission.  There is a balance between the protection characteristics and the ability of a soldier to operate and move on foot or in vechicles etc 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osprey_body_armour

2 minutes ago, Gepard said:

An ICS L85. The best gun I ever owned. Had to sell it a year ago for cash but if I could get another right now I would. 

I've been looking at the ICS myself. However I'd like blow back if possible - Looked at the G&G L85A2 EBBR version, as well as a GBBR version (can't remember the make). The GBBR looks amazing and sounds even better, but I'm not sure how I'd get on with the maintenance side of it, as well as the gas complications (cold weather etc). The G&G EBBR looks like a solid choice though.

... or is the ICS that impressive of a gun that it's still the better option?

• Supporters

The only GBB I've owned has been Glocks so I can't really comment.

When it comes to looks and feel, a GBB wins hands down. Feeling the recoil and hearing the bang after each shot is a very immersive experience. 

An AEG tends to be cheaper. You can often get 5 magazines for the price of a single gas mag. They will both shoot accurately and get the job done, you just have to decide if that extra bit of realism is worth the cost.

An ICS L85 is something you buy and never need to tinker with. It's an excellent AEG. 

I'll be picking up a GBB Glock within the next couple of months - excited.

See, the whole AEG being cheaper thing is the bit that's swaying me away from GBBRs as well. Seeing as a GBBR Mag holds about 30 or so BBs, with most people recommending 8-10 mags per game, that would be extremely expensive, whereas the AEG version I could work with 3-4 mags.

Does the ICS's charging bolt move during firing or anything? It's my main reason for looking at an EBBR. Best of both worlds I guess.

• Supporters

ECBA; https://goo.gl/images/4Zmuq8

everyone hates Osprey. The only people I have ever heard say a good word about it are airsofters.  It’s good at stopping bullets getting in (ish) but as a practical garment it’s really quite Stone Age.  The quality of the covers is bloody awful too, TMC beats it in a lot of cases! 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, steakandpotato said:

Does the ICS's charging bolt move during firing or anything? It's my main reason for looking at an EBBR. Best of both worlds I guess.

It's just for looks and serves no purpose beyond pulling it back to access the hop up. 

On 1/14/2018 at 6:11 PM, Gepard said:

Mk6 w/scrim 

MTP UBACS

MTP Pants

2017-08-24_12.11.57.jpg

I didn't think there were any restrictions on owning body armour in the UK, regardless of NIJ rating. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen any laws stopping civvies from owning level 4 plates.

As for the Ospreys, they're plentiful, but being phased out as the new Virtus system is put in place, which will also replace the existing helmets too.

You can get the MK7 here

https://www.goarmy.co.uk/british-army-mk7-helmet-prod

I've not seen a full set of current issue plates on Ebay though, probably because they're either kept in AF stores, or disposed of if damaged. I imagine this is probably to stop home grown terrorists from trying to reverse engineer them and work out how to penetrate them when they're in current service. Also, since they fit the new Virtus system, there'd be no point in selling used plate sets to surplus stores. If someone is selling them, I'd presume them stolen. Previous issue armour plates can be found all over the place though.

Personally, I think it would be much cheaper to use clay perhaps to model one's own mock plates in the shape of the current issue ones, or use training plates.

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, AshOnSnow said:

I didn't think there were any restrictions on owning body armour in the UK, regardless of NIJ rating. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen any laws stopping civvies from owning level 4 plates.

As for the Ospreys, they're plentiful, but being phased out as the new Virtus system is put in place, which will also replace the existing helmets too.

You can get the MK7 here

https://www.goarmy.co.uk/british-army-mk7-helmet-prod

I could be wrong. That's what I was told last time it was brought up. I was under the impression the MKIV cover was fine to own but not the plates. 

As for the MK7 I think you may be right. They definitely shouldn't be sold though as they're supposed to be returned but nothing explicitly stating they're illegal to own. 

• Supporters
29 minutes ago, Gepard said:

I could be wrong. That's what I was told last time it was brought up. I was under the impression the MKIV cover was fine to own but not the plates. 

As for the MK7 I think you may be right. They definitely shouldn't be sold though as they're supposed to be returned but nothing explicitly stating they're illegal to own. 

There’s loads of Mk7s in the surplus chain now, they’ve been in service nearly a decade. 

39 minutes ago, Gepard said:

Been reading more into it - here's what I have concluded:

Level IV ballistic protective armour, or any ballistic protection designed for military usage, is illegal to own in the EU. 

There is no restriction in UK law on owning ballistic protective armour.

The European Communities Act 1972 which was passed in UK Parliament grants EU Law supremacy over UK Law.

Level IV protection, along with any protection designed for military usage - whether in active service or not - is illegal to possess in the EU - including the UK, even though this is not UK legislation. The absence of restriction in UK law does not negate the presence of restriction in EU law.

By this ruling, it would also be apparent that police in europe are also bound by this legislation, and so are only permitted to wear up to and including Level III+ protection, and may not wear any armour that was designed for military use.

Go figure...

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, steakandpotato said:

EXTREMELY tempted - but if I get that, no glock.

I sold my glock because it rarely got used. Maybe 1 or 2 mags per game. Not to say I didn't enjoy it, but your primary should be more important. 

I'd go for it. You can always buy a sidearm at a later date and there tends to be a couple on sale here every month so you could end up saving money in the long run buying used. 

2 minutes ago, Gepard said:

I sold my glock because it rarely got used. Maybe 1 or 2 mags per game.

Not to say I didn't enjoy it, but your primary should be more important. 

I'd go for it. 

I recently got a G&G Firehawk (about a month/2 months ago, before deciding on this loadout) and would personally rather have a secondary than two primary's. I am uber tempted though

Archived